• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal question for Canadians members

8 posts in this topic

I buy a piece of art for $ 2.000.00 American dollars
when I try to pay
PayPal ask for all kind of documentation to confirm my identity
most of them I consider private and invasive
like:

financial information from you bank accounts and credits cards
proof of address, cellphone, cable, hydro bills
personal ids,
the straw that broke the camel's back is
when they ask for my Canada pension plan or insurance of my house or car...

I provide 4 of the 5 request information
the last one I don't have it and I don't want to share with them.

I am the only one having this problem?
it is me or is really way to much information to provide?
have to say I cannot pay for the page I want, even when I want to...

Its time to ditch PayPal?

:facepalm::censored:

were you at least on the phone with them when you provided all this info? to double check that it was them?

There was a recent thread saying the same as you, they called and got it worked out, hopefully the one's in those threads will be along shortly and share their experience!

But Dang, I bought a IH 181 7.5 and they too wanted me to just call them to confirm it was me, I don't remember them wanting a cavity or dna search too! :shy: 

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

News to me.  I’d be worried that you’re possibly dealing with a fake site. 

That was my first thought
but I double check the web site and the phone number
all is right.

2 hours ago, MagnusX said:

That was my first thought
but I double check the web site and the phone number
all is right.

Then I'd guess they've started reviewing larger transactions and asking for corroboration recently similar to what credit card companies have been doing for some time.

I have had to send Paypal an image of my identification along with an image of my credit card. They also wanted a bill that showed my correct address.

It is US anti money laundering laws that require stringent proof of identity before transactions in their currency.

As long as you have done your due diligence to ensure you are dealing with Paypal do what they ask.

Edited by Artboy99

My wife ran into a similar issue in December. Someone attempted to get into her PayPal account and they placed restrictions on sending/receiving money.

She received an e-mail and was directed to their website with instructions to provide government-issued photo identification like a passport or driver's license.

She instead called them and verified her identity over the phone. Restrictions were removed without having to transmit any documentation.

Hopefully that's the end of it.

I agree with you that asking for documentation with that much personal and financial information is way too invasive.