• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic four 49 1st series

17 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying, I do not send books in for grading, I am a collector of "raw" books so I have no actual "real life" experience with CGC, having said that...

CGC does not perform restoration, also...

Why would you want to?

Although the value of F.F 49 has been rising lately (according to eBay sold listings) your copy is a FR/GD 1.5 "at best" (I have no problem with that, Love my low grade reading copies) and the tape is probably holding part of the book together, CGC grades books with tape as if the tape were not present, so if it has a completely split cover and the tape is holding the cover together it will be graded as having a completely split cover.

The cost of restoration/grading of that book would outweigh the books value, lower grade copies (and remainder copies) of F.F. 49 have sold from $34.00 - $60.00 in the last 3 month's in eBay auctions, raw copies in the GD+ 2.5/GD/VG 3.0/VG 4.0 are selling for about $80.00 - $120.00.

The lowest CGC graded copy was a GD 2.0 that sold for $163.00 and a VG+ 3.5 sold for $315.00.

IMO, you are better off getting yourself a higher grade issue if that is indeed what you are looking for, as far as your present copy...

Bag, Board and Enjoy.

Thank you...funny you mention Ebay cause I just sold a 2.5-3 for an offer of 200 I paid 160 for that and overpaid cause I regret losing my first one but I made the Ebay to get rid of some pokemon cards,and thought...humm I wonder what it would go for. Ever since it's been keeping me up so I bought that after losing in the last second of another. Mycomicshop seems to be getting a lot for them as well. Probably cause of rumors that galactus is coming in the mcu. Again thank you that was helpful but I feel I overpaid so I was thinking of sending it to them to grade it just didn't know of it was still original with the pen markings.

The pen markings would be considered normal for the grade and will not affect this particular books overall grade, again, without being able to see what the tape is holding together FR/GD 1.5 is what I see from the pic shown.

FR/GD 1.5 allows spine splits from 2" to 2/3 of the cover.

11 hours ago, stevie619 said:

So I recently got a fantastic four 49 and there seems to be pen and tape added to the cover is there anything cgc can do to remove these safely? Obviously the condition is the condition but is it past the point of being graded?

Screenshot_20190113-225509_eBay.jpg

I commend you kind sir for displaying the crappiest book ever and I love it

this is my copy and yes it was brutalized by CGC

2140969579_82KN7puSoC8WccG08TWQ_thumb_72b.jpg.862cd813cd19ba1c953a13d7e3b068f0.jpg

I want to take a marker to the faces now lol...

Edited by Karl Liebl

Yeah I'm just gonna stash it I felt bad for it I had to save it. Here's my old one I sold for 200 like a arseface.

The only image I have of it unfortunately.... sad face

20181112_153450.jpg

Edited by stevie619
Mispell

3 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

this is my copy and yes it was brutalized by CGC

2140969579_82KN7puSoC8WccG08TWQ_thumb_72b.jpg.862cd813cd19ba1c953a13d7e3b068f0.jpg

I want to take a marker to the faces now lol...

Wow, Karl... that's in much better shape than my copy, and I got a 6.5 grade.

wp0624_chatter_mcneilly.gif

;)

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Wow, Karl... that's in much better shape than my copy, and I got a 6.5 grade.

wp0624_chatter_mcneilly.gif

;)

Salt is good but can it remove the tiny stains on my back cover??!!

Yes I am never going to get over it lol!

I need to go mess with Bomber Bob now, because he likes it and I can do it...

Edited by Karl Liebl

2 hours ago, Hey! said:

lol no you weren't, you just don't know how to grade.

But i am learning so its all good...

you know time and time again its the same answer  about grading  Just get better at it Karl. ok I can do it but sadly the best grades are on the newer books so who cares...

Edited by Karl Liebl

22 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

When it comes to reading copies "crappiest book ever" = "most well loved book ever", and...

All books need a good home,even the "well loved" copies of which I have adopted quite a few.