• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

True Detective Season 3
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Normally I can wait until the end of a season as I prefer to binge-watch but that won’t be the case here. Despite lackluster reviews of Season 2, I still really enjoyed it and on top of that, it contained one of the most realistic and intense firefights ever filmed. I’ve only seen Ali in two other movies, Moonlight and recently The Green Book and was pretty impressed with him so I’m really looking forward to my favorite noir show returning.

45ED92A7-EE39-4671-8D4B-8275BA60CC0E.jpeg

Great show so far, my significant other and I watched the first episode last night and were immediately compelled to watch the second.  They shouldn't have used wicker dolls, they did something too similar to that in season one with the "devil nets."

efb1a46011eac8ec5295bbe11d71fbc2.jpg

The intro theme didn't jump out at me like the first two seasons did.  It was decent, just didn't get me as pumped as the Handsome Family and Leonard Cohen songs did.

Edited by fantastic_four

3 episodes in and I’m enjoying the show.      I like that they’ve gone back to the time jumping formula that worked so well in the first season.  

It’s a bit of a slow burn, but I like the characters and the mystery is there.  I wish it had been released all at once so I could binge it.  

Has anyone considered that Wayne Hays is not losing his mind but is tapping into frequencies that most are not able to perceive? Just as a child is able to hear lower frequencies, I believe in older age some are able to tap into higher frequency sound waves. As a result,

Spoiler

Hays is being haunted by the ghosts of the people he killed during the war & see the mistakes he made in his life. Now he's trying to repent & fix the mistakes he can while he's still alive. I have a hunch that the woman interviewing Hays may be the kidnapped girl or possible her daughter.

Everything is sound vibrating at different frequencies. Ulysses Klaw was definitely right about that. I remember him saying it in an episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (voiced by Mark Hamill ironically).

Edited by chezmtghut

7 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I have a hunch that the woman interviewing Hays may be the kidnapped girl or possible her daughter.

Could be her daughter, but it isn't her.  We saw her face on the Walgreens surveillance camera in episode 4 shown below and it wasn't the reporter, plus she's far too young to have been born around 1970 (the actress playing her was born in 1987).  Julie looks similar enough to the reporter to possibly be her mom though.  If she is her mom, the odds are the reporter was already born at the time of the Walgreens theft, and maybe she's stealing something for her young daughter in the video?  Did they say what she stole, or can we tell which aisle she's going down in the video?

Let's play that out a bit.  If she is Julie Purcell's daughter, then she was born to her long after her mother's disappearance and probably knows a lot--or everything--about what happened to her.  What, then, is her motivation for doing a documentary about it?  She just thought her mom's story would be a great idea for an episode of her show?

Screen_Shot_2019_01_25_at_2.21.36_PM.png

Edited by fantastic_four

14 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Could be her daughter, but it isn't her.  We saw her face on the Walgreens surveillance camera in episode 4 shown below and it wasn't the reporter, plus she's far too young to have been born around 1970 (the actress playing her was born in 1987).  Julie looks similar enough to the reporter to possibly be her mom though.  If she is her mom, the odds are the reporter was already born at the time of the Walgreens theft, and maybe she's stealing something for her young daughter in the video?  Did they say what she stole, or can we tell which aisle she's going down in the video?

Let's play that out a bit.  If she is Julie Purcell's daughter, then she was born to her long after her mother's disappearance and probably knows a lot--or everything--about what happened to her.  What, then, is her motivation for doing a documentary about it?  She just thought her mom's story would be a great idea for an episode of her show?

Screen_Shot_2019_01_25_at_2.21.36_PM.png

I'll admit that I'm able to follow the timelines based on their aged appearances throughout the episodes but haven't gone as far as dating those events. Just checked IMDB & it says "Bea Santos...21 Year Old Julie Purcell", for all that's worth. I figure there's a 15 year time gap between the 1st & 2nd investigation. Then maybe 30 more years passed before the Elisa Montgomery documentary. She's likely the daughter.

My thought is that the Elisa & her mom Julie were freed from their captor(s) after their death(s) & Elisa is tracking the original investigations into her moms kidnapping to know why they were never saved & assign blame.

The time gap between the first and second investigations is 10 years, 1980 and 1990.  And then 25 years from the second investigation to the "present", 1990 and 2015.  

So the series encompasses appx 35 years from the start of the original investigation to the present. 

It's an interesting thought (that Elisa is Julie's daughter), but why would she keep that hidden?     

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

It's an interesting thought (that Elisa is Julie's daughter), but why would she keep that hidden? 

I'm starting to think it's likely.  Elisa's similarity in appearance and the age of the actress makes it too big a coincidence.  You could brainstorm dozens of reasons why she'd keep it secret for now such as her mom did something bad and she doesn't want it to come out, she's using resources from her show to do this investigation and if they know she's her mom it makes it impossible for her to continue, and I could keep going.

My biggest question about Elisa is why she was so hesitant to share information with Detective Hays.  hm  If she's got no personal axe to grind why not share what she knows with him?

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

My biggest question about Elisa is why she was so hesitant to share information with Detective Hays.  hm  If she's got no personal axe to grind why not share what she knows with him?

Fear of blowing her cover? 

3 minutes ago, sd2416 said:
5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Fear of blowing her cover? 

Exactly, that's what makes the daughter angle even more appealing, it explains why she didn't want to share.

Latest episode(s) have been really good.   

As expected, the chicken people were clearly involved in this (100% confirmed last episode with the pink castle).  And, I think I've pretty much come around on the daughter theory.  Although there's no "aha!" moment on that yet.  

The acting has been superb (by everyone in the series), but especially the 2 leads and the Purcell father.  

So are the Hoyts doing this to lots of girls, or only Julie?  Since they've kept alluding to the idea that Julie's dad is someone else, it seems at least 50/50 viable that Hoyt is the father and that's his motivation for keeping Julie in his house, for paying off her mom, and helps explain why Julie's mom is so guilty all the time--because she helped her baby daddy take custody of the kid, killing off the other one in the process.  Or maybe they're not at all related and he just collects girls for whatever reason.

34 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

So are the Hoyts doing this to lots of girls, or only Julie?  Since they've kept alluding to the idea that Julie's dad is someone else, it seems at least 50/50 viable that Hoyt is the father and that's his motivation for keeping Julie in his house, for paying off her mom, and helps explain why Julie's mom is so guilty all the time--because she helped her baby daddy take custody of the kid, killing off the other one in the process.  Or maybe they're not at all related and he just collects girls for whatever reason.

I'm under the impression that it's just Julie.   Nothing else suggests that there were any others (no "local girls go missing" headlines or cases).  Didn't even consider that Hoyt might be the father, but it certainly would fit.  

I felt season 3 seemed to share the common theme with season 1 early on & episode 7 confirms it. Human trafficking is a serious issue in the world & I really like the way Nic Pizzolatto presents the gravity of the situation on why the truth of these issues rarely come to light. BTW, Hoyt is played by Michael Rooker in the last episode.

Edited by chezmtghut

On 2/18/2019 at 9:25 AM, chezmtghut said:

I felt season 3 seemed to share the common theme with season 1 early on & episode 7 confirms it. Human trafficking is a serious issue in the world & I really like the way Nic Pizzolatto presents the gravity of the situation on why the truth of these issues rarely come to light. BTW, Hoyt is played by Michael Rooker in the last episode.

We have no idea if this is human trafficking up through this episode.  I'm still betting that the Hoyt we heard on the phone towards the end of episode 7 is Julie's father and that he wanted her to help replace his daughter's lost husband and daughter from the car accident revealed in episode 7 since they both died in 1977 and the kidnapping/murder happened in 1980, but who knows, it's fairly wide open as to why he wanted her.

Edited by fantastic_four