• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

True Detective Season 3
1 1

38 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

We have no idea if this is human trafficking up through this episode.  I'm still betting that the Hoyt we heard on the phone towards the end of episode 7 is Julie's father and that he wanted her to help replace his daughter's lost husband and daughter from the car accident revealed in episode 7 since they both died in 1977 and the kidnapping/murder happened in 1980, but who knows, it's fairly wide open as to why he wanted her.

I like that theory as well.  

One thing I didn't quite understand about the episode was Mr. June/Watts going after Amelia at her reading.   If he's the guy that kidnapped Julie in the first place, what is his motivation for berating Amelia?   

On 2/21/2019 at 1:56 PM, fantastic_four said:

We have no idea if this is human trafficking up through this episode.  I'm still betting that the Hoyt we heard on the phone towards the end of episode 7 is Julie's father and that he wanted her to help replace his daughter's lost husband and daughter from the car accident revealed in episode 7 since they both died in 1977 and the kidnapping/murder happened in 1980, but who knows, it's fairly wide open as to why he wanted her.

It was Elisa that brought up human trafficking while relating it to Cohle & Hart from season 1 in her latest interview with Hays. If Elisa is Julie's daughter, I would think she knows more about this than most detectives since the powers that be were constantly trying to close the case at any cost, while Elisa would have a 1st hand account from her mom.

I still think it's related to human trafficking since Mr. June/Watts had been employed by Hoyt for quite some time. The maid/housekeeper described Hoyt's daughter Isabel as having psychological issues. Her husband likely found out about the kidnapping's & then mysteriously died in a car wreck with his daughter (Hoyt's granddaughter). It's possible Isabel was never Hoyt's daughter either, just another victim, as she never left the estate. They do leave a lot open to interpretation, which I hope will be put to rest in this last episode.

On 2/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, chrisco37 said:

I like that theory as well.  

One thing I didn't quite understand about the episode was Mr. June/Watts going after Amelia at her reading.   If he's the guy that kidnapped Julie in the first place, what is his motivation for berating Amelia?   

It seemed like he was trying to get information while still maintaining a distance from the case itself. I figure he was looking for Julie but made himself an outspoken critic as cover for the very questions he asked.

Edited by chezmtghut

58 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

It seemed like he was trying to get information while still maintaining a distance from the case itself. I figure he was looking for Julie but made himself an outspoken critic as cover for the very questions he asked.

I guess that’s possible, but it doesn’t pass the smell test to me.

Assuming he was still working for Hoyt, why draw any attention to yourself?  Hoyt has the means to investigate her whereabouts on his own.  No reason for the “black guy with one bad eye” (an easily identifiable person) to be calling attention to himself.  

The writing is too smart/good to allow for that.

40 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I guess that’s possible, but it doesn’t pass the smell test to me.

Assuming he was still working for Hoyt, why draw any attention to yourself?  Hoyt has the means to investigate her whereabouts on his own.  No reason for the “black guy with one bad eye” (an easily identifiable person) to be calling attention to himself.  

The writing is too smart/good to allow for that.

I would think that Mr. June/Watts is expendable to Hoyt & any attention brought to him was easily covered up by the collection of dirt Hoyt builds on anyone that gets in his way. I thought that was pretty evident by how he shut down Hays after West killed his employee Harris James in 1990. Hoyt seems to have too much influence/power for anyone to stop him until Hays/West grow old enough to stop caring about how these revelations will effect their lives.

Edited by chezmtghut

Meh.  Alzheimer's doesn't make for a terribly compelling major story element.  That's how I took that last scene when he's back in the jungle, he's stuck finding his way out of the confusion of dementia.

Why never reveal what happened to Amelia?  She could be dead, or she could have moved.  Dunno why you'd prompt your audience to try to figure it out then never cover it.

I enjoyed it as well.  Nice way to wrap things up and a bit nice there was a (somewhat) happy ending to Julie's story (well, other than both her real parents and brother dead).  I like that it wasn't some "grand conspiracy" to link it back to Season 1.  That would've seemed a bit too coincidental.  

33 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why never reveal what happened to Amelia?  She could be dead, or she could have moved.  Dunno why you'd prompt your audience to try to figure it out then never cover it.

Yeah, that was one thing that bugged me.   And, also, with his daughter...what was the initial conflict there?   

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Meh.  Alzheimer's doesn't make for a terribly compelling major story element.  That's how I took that last scene when he's back in the jungle, he's stuck finding his way out of the confusion of dementia.

Didnt it say in episode 3 or so that she had cancer

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I thought the Vietnam shot was showing that he went there intending to die, so his mother could get 10k.  Instead, he was able to grow old, have a career,  and end up surrounded by family and playing with his grandchildren.  

True Detective is inching closer to a formal comeback at HBO — without creator Nic Pizzolatto at the helm.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the premium cable network has recruited Issa Lopez (Tigers Are Not Afraid, Secondary Effects) to pen a -script for a new cycle that has been dubbed True Detective: Night Country.

Additionally, Barry Jenkins is attached to exec produce the anthology. Should season four move forward — it’s currently in development — Lopez would direct the pilot in addition to serving as an exec producer.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

Between 600 Miles and Tigers are not afraid, she may be able to bring something original to the noir thriller.

Edited by ▫️