• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what happens in 2020?

35 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2019 at 3:29 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Makes sense that Marvel can't make any announcements until after Endgame since nearly all the planned movie characters are "dead."

Is that the reason for delaying the Phase 4 film announcements, or was it always to allow for the possibility of X-Men and Fantastic Four rejoining the Marvel Cinematic Universe?  Once Feige knew that Disney would be pursuing the purchase of Fox--which I assume was long before the general public knew--he may have decided to put all announcements on hold to open the possibility of adding the new teams or characters from the teams to the phase.  That's particularly evident in the fact that they did announce Spider-Man: Far From Home when Spidey was one of the characters who did poof at the end of Infinity War.  As soon as they announced it we all got the spoiler that we knew was coming anyway that SPIDER-MAN'S ALIVE, Y'ALL!  :whatthe:  :ohnoez:  Once they knew that would spoil the end of Endgame, you'd think they would just start announcing Phase 4 movies, but nope, nothing yet.  Which suggests they're mostly just trying to decide what to do with their newly re-acquired toys.  :whee:

Edited by fantastic_four

15 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Is that the reason for delaying the Phase 4 film announcements, or was it always to allow for the possibility of X-Men and Fantastic Four rejoining the Marvel Cinematic Universe?  Once Feige knew that Disney would be pursuing the purchase of Fox--which I assume was long before the general public knew--he may have decided to put all announcements on hold to open the possibility of adding the new teams or characters from the teams to the phase.  That's particularly evident in the fact that they did announce Spider-Man: Far From Home when Spidey was one of the characters who did poof at the end of Infinity War.  As soon as they announced it we all got the spoiler that we knew was coming anyway that SPIDER-MAN'S ALIVE, Y'ALL!  :whatthe:  :ohnoez:  Once they knew that would spoil the end of Endgame, you'd think they would just start announcing Phase 4 movies, but nope, nothing yet.  Which suggests they're mostly just trying to decide what to do with their newly re-acquired toys.  :whee:

Yes.

The sequel to Homecoming was announced prior to the Russo Bros deciding that Parker would be a member of the dusted heroes.

Marvel Studios has plans for what films they're producing over the next decade. Endgame is literally the only reason that Phase 4's schedule has not been announced. I'm guessing that the timeline will be revealed shorty after Far From Home is released, just so that it's not 'ruined' for those who hadn't seen Endgame yet.

For the next decade? I doubt they have everything set in stone. They have an idea what they want to do but with aging main avengers cast members I’m not sure that everything is planned out. Furthermore I expect a reboot at some point 

revenue will eventually go down. Nothing stays on top forever. They will need to retool/reboot change people (you’ve started to see some of those changes). Even the Russo’s can’t comtinue to just do Marvel movies. At some point Disney will have missteps and whatever plan is in place will change.

Look at GOTG3 it’s changed the trajectory it was set on. 

Edited by jsilverjanet

10 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

For the next decade? I doubt they have everything set in stone. They have an idea what they want to do but with aging main avengers cast members I’m not sure that everything is planned out. Furthermore I expect a reboot at some point 

You're correct.

They have a plan 'webbed out'. They only have things really figured out over the next couple of years. Their plans for the next decade, though, are much more "set in stone" than what the Worlds of DC has figured out over the next 2 years (sadly).

I think Marvel is more working on the 5 year plane right now.  They just have not told us the plan yet, because they do not want to spoil anything.

Another rumor I saw was they may be in the early stages of Dr. Strange sequel.

35 minutes ago, drotto said:

They just have not told us the plan yet, because they do not want to spoil anything.

What percentage of the viewing audience do you figure are wondering whether or not Marvel will leave half of their characters dead?  hm

I'm slightly skeptical of this entire Thanos story.  Comics are infamous for the terrible plot device of killing off characters and bringing them back, so for Feige to let this happen according to the long-held stereotype is risky.  The main difference here is that they didn't kill off one or two major characters, they killed off dozens, so there's no real mystery as to whether they're coming back--of COURSE they're coming back.  Everyone knows it, so what's to spoil?

Edited by fantastic_four

17 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

What percentage of the viewing audience do you figure are wondering whether or not Marvel will leave half of their characters dead?  hm

I'm slightly skeptical of this entire Thanos story.  Comics are infamous for the terrible plot device of killing off characters and bringing them back, so for Feige to let this happen according to the long-held stereotype is risky.  The main difference here is that they didn't kill off one or two major characters, they killed off dozens, so there's no real mystery as to whether they're coming back--of COURSE they're coming back.  Everyone knows it, so what's to spoil?

Which characters come back for good is an obvious answer. They can 'undo' the snap, go back in time to change the future, or even end up in cross-dimensional realities. Just because we know that they're all gonna be back at some point in Endgame does not mean they'll be back for good.

So, yeah, keeping everything in Phase 4 under wraps is a very high concern for Marvel Studios at the moment. They're obviously doing a good job of it.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

With the X-Men and FF franchises back in the fold, Marvel has enough ammunition for the next decade at the least.  They could shelf all things Avengers and be fine.

Feige needs to mentor a cadre of understudies so that shelving anything isn't necessary.  I'd particularly like him to do it to clone his judgement for Marvel television shows.

Avengers Part 2 is the only superhero movie I will be watching at the cinema, I'm pretty exhausted by everything superhero and will wait until they are free on streaming from now on.

I haven't seen Deadpool 2, Venom or Aquaman yet.

10 minutes ago, bane said:

Avengers Part 2 is the only superhero movie I will be watching at the cinema, I'm pretty exhausted by everything superhero and will wait until they are free on streaming from now on.

I haven't seen Deadpool 2, Venom or Aquaman yet.

What about Captain Marvel? She's very important to Endgame, and obviously that won't be available outside of theaters before Avengers 4 hits us 7 weeks later.