• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*IMPORTANT* CGC 1st Appearance Stan Lee
2 2

91 posts in this topic

I have discovered that CGC will not honor Stan Lee with a "Comic Book 1st Appearance". For those of you who have done your research, Black Rider (#8) #1 released by Marvel Comics in 1950 is the "1st Comic Book Appearance of Stan Lee". Representatives at CGC will even tell you that it is if you ask them. I confirmed this with CGC many months ago. 

But, when I got my issue back of Black Rider #8 (#1), 1950 Stan Lee Photo Cover, CGC refused to add "1st Comic Book Appearance of Stan Lee" on the label. 

I was told that the reason for this is because Stan Lee was a "Real Person".

Off the top of my head I checked my CGC of Marvel Premiere #50 , issued by Marvel Comics in 1979, it notes "1st Comic Book Appearance of Alice Cooper". I guess real people do get acknowledged with first appearances in Comic Books, depending on who they are.

When I brought this issue up to CGC, I was only told "sorry". 

Stan Lee has appeared in hundreds of comic books and has appeared on hundreds of comic book covers. I was asked a few years ago what his Comic Book 1st Appearance was? I thought it was a very good question, So I confirmed my research with CGC. Yes, they agreed that the Black Rider #8 (#1) 1950, was Stan's 1st appearance. 

I feel this dishonors the man who has done so much for the comic book world, especially when real people like Alice Cooper are clearly acknowledged with a 1st appearance. How many more "real people" have been noted with first appearances in Comic Books?

But, CGC refused to add to the Black Rider Label that it is the "1st Comic Book Appearance of Stan Lee". Even though they will freely tell you that it is. I guess they don't recognize real people, except Alice Cooper and probably many others, with a 1st appearance, but Stan Lee is not worthy. 

Please comment on this and let me know if you feel that CGC is dishonoring Stan Lee.

They obviously do note first appearances of real people, Alice Cooper is proof of this and their are probably many more. 

But I guess the late, great Stan Lee is not worthy of a 1st appearance, but Alice Cooper is. 

Please comment. Thank you. 

mm 025.JPG

Black Rider 7.0 CGC label.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

I'm confused.  Does he appear in the comic as "Stan Lee" or does he merely fulfill the role of an actor who's likeness is used for the character Black Rider.  In the case of the Alice Cooper book, the character in the book is actually...Alice Cooper.  I mean, it's a big difference and drawing parallels between the two is really comparing apples and oranges.

I mean, without knowing any back story, but assuming the recent Conan cover with Arnold Schwarzenegger was his first appearance on a comic, no one in their right mind would say "That's the 1st appearance of Arnold Schwarzenegger" because he's not making an appearance...Conan is.  There is a distinction between a role that is being played and playing yourself.

In this case, Stan Lee's 1st appearance would be a comic in which he should be referred to by name.  Like if Betty Brant made a comment to JJJ like "Stan Lee, your 3 o clock is here." and there's an image of Stan...then THAT'S an appearance.

9 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

I'm unfamiliar with this Stan Lee book in all honesty but I'm curious to know if it's a drawn comic or Stan Lee the person.  More clearly, is he a cartoon in the panels or a real person?

That is the issue.  He doesn't appear in the comic. He is neither drawn, nor depicted in the comic itself. Alice Cooper is. I can't speak to how consistent CGC has been with other instances like this.

Leaving aside the completely ridiculous histrionics of the OP, it is an interesting conundrum.  Realistically, what should be noted on the case is that it is a "Stan Lee Photo Cover."  That is how most photo covers are treated.

So to answer the original tantrum-question - "No."  CGC is not "dishonoring" Stan Lee.  You should have asked them to note it as a Stan Lee photo cover. Then you might have gotten a few extra shekels on the flip.   

14 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

I'm unfamiliar with this Stan Lee book in all honesty but I'm curious to know if it's a drawn comic or Stan Lee the person.  More clearly, is he a cartoon in the panels or a real person?

Most people are unfamiliar with this comic, it is a Stan Lee Photo Cover. 

$_3x.jpg

9 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm confused.  Does he appear in the comic as "Stan Lee" or does he merely fulfill the role of an actor who's likeness is used for the character Black Rider.  In the case of the Alice Cooper book, the character in the book is actually...Alice Cooper.  I mean, it's a big difference and drawing parallels between the two is really comparing apples and oranges.

I mean, without knowing any back story, but assuming the recent Conan cover with Arnold Schwarzenegger was his first appearance on a comic, no one in their right mind would say "That's the 1st appearance of Arnold Schwarzenegger" because he's not making an appearance...Conan is.  There is a distinction between a role that is being played and playing yourself.

In this case, Stan Lee's 1st appearance would be a comic in which he should be referred to by name.  Like if Betty Brant made a comment to JJJ like "Stan Lee, your 3 o clock is here." and there's an image of Stan...then THAT'S an appearance.

CGC will tell anybody who asks them that the Black Rider 1950 is the first comic book appearance of Stan Lee. Yes, he is only pictured on the cover as the Black Rider character and does not appear as Stan Lee in the comic. But CGC will tell you that it is the first comic book appearance of Stan Lee. There are multiple comics in the 50's and 60's that Stan Lee appears as a character in the comic as himself, but CGC recognizes none of them as his first appearance, only the 1950 Black Rider. He has appeared as himself in multiple early comics, but CGC recognizes none of them as his 1st appearance. 

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

So then yeah, your book should say "Stan Lee Photo Cover".  It shouldn't say "1st appearance of Stan Lee."

Call CGC and ask them what the 1st comic book appearance of Stan Lee is and they will tell you it is the 1950 Black Rider #8 (#1). 

The man has been in so many comics, but you will not find one CGC comic that notes "1st comic book appearance of Stan Lee" on a CGC label.

That dishonors all Stan has done for the comic world, in my opinion. Who has a bigger name in the world of comics? 

31 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

So to answer the original tantrum-question - "No."  CGC is not "dishonoring" Stan Lee.  You should have asked them to note it as a Stan Lee photo cover. Then you might have gotten a few extra shekels on the flip.   

Spot on with the 'side' comments. The OP is in a rant because he wants more valuation for his comic. The 'concern' about Stan Lee being disrespected is laughable. 

6 minutes ago, jmulli said:

Call CGC and ask them what the 1st comic book appearance of Stan Lee is and they will tell you it is the 1950 Black Rider #8 (#1). 

The man has been in so many comics, but you will not find one CGC comic that notes "1st comic book appearance of Stan Lee" on a CGC label.

That dishonors all Stan has done for the comic world, in my opinion. Who has a bigger name in the world of comics? 

CGC also says Teen Titans #12 is the 1st appearance of the Batman Who Laughs.  They're a grading service and shouldn't be the arbiter of what is or isn't a 1st appearance.  Truth is, when i think of an appearance, I think the person named is making the appearance in some form in the story.  If you want to be specific, then perhaps it should read "1st Stan Lee cover photo"

You're honestly making a mountain out of a mole hill here.  "IMPORTANT."  "dishonors".  I'm sorry I fell for some clickbait title.

Edited by ExNihilo

30 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

That is the issue.  He doesn't appear in the comic. He is neither drawn, nor depicted in the comic itself. Alice Cooper is. I can't speak to how consistent CGC has been with other instances like this.

Leaving aside the completely ridiculous histrionics of the OP, it is an interesting conundrum.  Realistically, what should be noted on the case is that it is a "Stan Lee Photo Cover."  That is how most photo covers are treated.

They all say "Stan Lee Photo Cover" on the label. It is on the back of the Stan Lee Picture Label. Call CGC and ask them what his comic book first appearance is and they will tell you that it is the Black Rider 1950. But they refuse to recognize any of his appearances as his 1st appearance. 

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Spot on with the 'side' comments. The OP is in a rant because he wants more valuation for his comic. The 'concern' about Stan Lee being disrespected is laughable. 

So, you are saying that the great Stan Lee does not deserve a 1st appearance noted. Even though he has appeared in hundreds of comics it is not dishonoring the man. Go back to sleep bootlicker.  

3 minutes ago, jmulli said:

So, you are saying that the great Stan Lee does not deserve a 1st appearance noted. Even though he has appeared in hundreds of comics it is not dishonoring the man. Go back to sleep bootlicker.  

WTTB & GLWTS 

3 minutes ago, jmulli said:

Bootlicker ? That's the best you got ? You are obvious not getting any sympathy for your crusade here. Please leave. Also, in your next reply, please think of something better than 'bootlicker'.  

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

???    I'm sorry but it is obvious why you are so concerned with all this. Maybe you should start a GoFundMe Page.

Maybe you should get a brain, the simple question is... does Stan Lee have a 1st appearance in comics? He has appeared in and on hundreds of them. 

The answer is yes! of course!

He is only the most important person in comic book history, but according to you, we shouldn't be concerned about this. Go back to sleep.  

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

no, it does not dishonor Stan Lee's memory. Your posts dishonor Stan Lee's memory more than the label on the Black Rider comics does.

Bird, think before you write and learn how to spell. It is completely ridiculous to say that I am dishonoring the man so off A hole. Your opinion is worthless. 

Does Stan Lee have a 1st appearance in a comic book is the question, in case you couldn't figure that out. 

I  guess you will say something like "who cares". You obviously don't know the importance of Stan Lee to the comic world.