• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*IMPORTANT* CGC 1st Appearance Stan Lee
2 2

91 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, jmulli said:

Could you be more of an insufficiently_thoughtful_person! CGC will say it is the Black Rider, even if I disagree, it is what CGC says . 

What exactly are you arguing for ? What do you want from CGC? CGC hasn't 'said' anything. Apparently they are not acknowledging a 1st app in comics for Stan. Maybe they are trying to respect him. If not for the possibility of more money for your comic , why are you on this crusade ? Nodody, and I mean nobody is seeing it your way (whatever way that is). Please leave . 

CGC does note Captain America Comics #3 as Stan Lee’s first published comic book work. Parenthetically, he had apparently used the Stanley Lieber byline prior to CA3, when he won a NYC newspaper contest

Edited by comicparadox
Spelling error

1 minute ago, Hutch88 said:

Isn't there a story in Margie Comics #36 where Stan is drawn, with a multi panel role? (1947) This would also predate the Black Rider... (shrug)

Yes, he goes on a date with Margie and then he leaves her flat. Yes it predates the 1950 Black Rider. CGC is saying that The Black Rider is Stan Lee's 1st appearance, but they will not have it noted on the label, or any other label for that matter, because he was a real person, like Alice Cooper. 

I'm really not sure who decides the policy on 1st appearances, apparently it is the "Head Grader" at CGC. 

it should not be a controversial issue, it is a simple question. What is the first comic book appearance of Stan Lee? CGC say's the 1950 Black Rider, even if they are wrong, this is what they say. They will not note this on the label apparently because he was a "real person". The response I got after mentioning the Alice Cooper comic was "I'm Sorry".

CGC does not have any label on any comic that notes "1st appearance of Stan Lee". But he has been in and on hundreds of comics. Round and round it goes. If Alice Cooper (real person) is important enough to be noted with a first appearance, shouldn't Stan Lee? No matter what comic it is? 

5 minutes ago, Hey! said:

Correct.

it is a simple question.

And yet here we are 3 pages in and you still don't get what we've expressed to you.

If Alice Cooper (real person) is important enough to be noted with a first appearance, shouldn't Stan Lee? No matter what comic it is?

Again, Alice Cooper is listed as a 1st appearance because the main character in the story is Alice Cooper.  It has nothing to do with him being a real person.  If that story was written and they decided to name the character Calice Ooper, the CGC notation would read "1st appearance of Calice Ooper".  No such character by the name "Stan Lee" appears in Black Rider.  That character DOES appear in Margie Comics #36 so if any book gets the 1st appearance distinction...that is the one (unless someone comes forward with an earlier valid appearance).

Edited by ExNihilo

29 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i have to agree and .. as great as Stan was , he still is not up there with The Beatles ,,, and they also were on many comic covers in the 60's but i don't think any one of them is designated as the first cover appearance 

I know that Tiger Woods is noted with a "1st Tiger Woods Cover" on his 1st Sports Illustrated cover, issued October 1996.

CGC does not recognize many 1st appearances, I think the Beatles and many others should be recognized with a Comic Book 1st Appearance, like so many other "Real People" when they appear. 

By the way, CGC will now put Spider-Punk 1st appearance on label, thanks to me notifying them about it. So who knows who decides at CGC on the issue of who should be noted with a first appearance. It is not my job to tell them, but because of me Spider-Punk, Pickle Rick and others with now have a notation on the label that it is their 1st appearance. 

Something is very wrong if I have to tell them about this before they make any changes. 

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Edited by jmulli

2 minutes ago, jmulli said:

I know that Tiger Woods is noted with a "1st Tiger Woods Cover" on his 1st Sports Illustrated cover, issued October 1996.

CGC does not recognize many 1st appearances, I think the Beatles and many others should be recognized with a Comic Book 1st Appearance, like so many other "Real People" when they appear.

I want you to look at these 2 paragraphs.  In your first one, you admit it says "1st Tiger Woods Cover".  In those four words (well, one abbreviation and 3 words) where does it specifically say the word "appearance."  You do understand there is a difference in comics between an "appearance" and a "cover" right?  You may think it's a matter of semantics, but the specificity of the wording is very deliberate.

10 minutes ago, jmulli said:

By the way, CGC will now put Spider-Punk 1st appearance on label, thanks to me notifying them about it.

Congratulations on being the king of irrelevant garbage?

10 minutes ago, jmulli said:

So who knows who decides at CGC on the issue of who should be noted with a first appearance. It is not my job to tell them, but because of me Spider-Punk, Pickle Rick and others with now have a notation on the label that it is their 1st appearance. 

zzz CGC's issue notes are completely irrelevant. They do not matter. EVER!

11 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

And yet here we are 3 pages in and you still don't get what we've expressed to you.

Again, Alice Cooper is listed as a 1st appearance because the main character in the story is Alice Cooper.  It has nothing to do with him being a real person.  If that story was written and they decided to name the character Calice Ooper, the CGC notation would read "1st appearance of Calice Ooper".  No such character by the name "Stan Lee" appears in Black Rider.  That character DOES appear in Margie Comics #36 so if any book gets the 1st appearance distinction...that is the one (unless someone comes forward with an earlier valid appearance).

You do understand that you are really arguing with CGC. 3 pages in and you are still confused. You say "It has nothing to do with him being a real person" is exactly the opposite of what CGC says. Give them a call sometime. They will tell you that they do not recognize 1st appearances of "real people". Tell them it has nothing to do with being a real person, it's the main character, blah blah blah. Then let me know how loud they laugh at you before they hang up on you for being so ignorant. Your lack of knowledge is wasting my time. Please just go on to another post that you might understand, if their are any.   

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Congratulations on being the king of irrelevant garbage?

zzz CGC's issue notes are completely irrelevant. They do not matter. EVER!

Wow! How stupid can some people be? 1st appearance notes, according to this genius, do not matter, EVER!

Tell that to the guy who is selling the book that has in the notes "Spider-Man's 1st appearance". 

1 minute ago, jmulli said:

You do understand that you are really arguing with CGC. 3 pages in and you are still confused. You say "It has nothing to do with him being a real person" is exactly the opposite of what CGC says. Give them a call sometime. They will tell you that they do not recognize 1st appearances of "real people". Tell them it has nothing to do with being a real person, it's the main character, blah blah blah. Then let me know how loud they laugh at you before they hang up on you for being so ignorant. Your lack of knowledge is wasting my time. Please just go on to another post that you might understand, if their are any.   

What part of "CGC is a 3rd party grading company" did you miss?  What they say isn't fact.  What they do is take what the market relays to them.  And sometimes that's wrong.  I've provided a reasonable amount of logical evidence which is more than you've brought to the conversation.  You've yet to provide a reasonable argument as to why you believe Black Rider is the "1st appearance."

3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

What part of "CGC is a 3rd party grading company" did you miss?  What they say isn't fact.  What they do is take what the market relays to them.  And sometimes that's wrong.  I've provided a reasonable amount of logical evidence which is more than you've brought to the conversation.  You've yet to provide a reasonable argument as to why you believe Black Rider is the "1st appearance."

You really can't be serious. I must have written it 10 times, this is what CGC says. CGC is saying that the 1950 Black Rider is his first appearance, call them. 

You are kidding me right? 

7 minutes ago, jmulli said:

Wow! How stupid can some people be?

I don't know. Is your mirror broken?

7 minutes ago, jmulli said:

1st appearance notes, according to this genius, do not matter, EVER!

Tell that to the guy who is selling the book that has in the notes "Spider-Man's 1st appearance".

Do the notes change reality? No, they don't. Thanks for playing, genius.

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i never heard of Spider Punk before but good job (thumbsu

Spider-Punk has 3 covers and is becoming very popular in the "Spider Geddon" series. Don't be surprised to see his own series soon. 

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't know. Is your mirror broken?

Do the notes change reality? No, they don't. Thanks for playing, genius.

yes they change reality Bevis, they determine the price. Is money real in your reality?

2 minutes ago, jmulli said:

yes they change reality Bevis, they determine the price. Is money real in your reality?

Wow, I really didn't think my opinion of you could get any lower. Good job proving me wrong.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

Wow, I really didn't think my opinion of you could get any lower. Good job proving me wrong.

hahaha, i am so sorry. please don't have a low opinion of me. I am so sorry if I offended you in any way. Please, oh please forgive me. I won't be able to sleep tonight if you don't forgive me. I feel so terrible. Please fat n lazy little boy.