• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You're old if you purchased these

40 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, comicjack said:
38 minutes ago, Philreal said:

I thought the Silver Age Ultra-Pro was the next big thing until I had to cut my board to fit into them!:frustrated:

SA ULTRA PRO.JPG

and how many slices to the covers have you had using those 

Those things sucked donkey you-know-whats

I'm old enough to remember these being advertised in Marvels, but being in the UK never bought them.  First time I bought bags was from a comic mart in 1979.

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Especially if you walked three miles in the snow, uphill, both ways, to pick them up.

What sounds to an ageing Brit like a fond, Hovis memory...  :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm old enough to remember these being advertised in Marvels, but being in the UK never bought them.  First time I bought bags was from a comic mart in 1979.

What sounds to an ageing Brit like a fond, Hovis memory...  :smile:

Jeebus - is there an English version?

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I wondered if it needed subtitles.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:
11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I wondered if it needed subtitles.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one...., 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

OK, yeah I'm old and proud of it. :preach:

It's real hard for a lot of you kids to realize that before these came around we had to keep out books in very neat stacks in drawers or shelves to preserve them. Then came "cleaners bags" or zip lock type bags. These were revolutionary.

Kind of like when I mention 8 track tapes. I get the laughs and snickers. They were also revolutionary. Can you imagine driving around in your car with only an AM radio to listen to? Nothing like having a Zeppelin or Hendrix album you could pop in the player anytime you wanted...

Some, like PF's Animals, had bonus track on the 8-track because of the timing on the 'tracks.'

14 hours ago, Brian48 said:
14 hours ago, lizards2 said:

You're old if you purchased these. :preach: 

Especially if you walked three miles in the snow, uphill, both ways, to pick them up.

171653762_RobtBellCovers.thumb.jpg.fc4778c8a074e7530ddd1266a7e6bc79.jpg

God Bless, Robert Bell.

Robert Bell - the man who put "HAUPPAUGE" on the map and in every comic collector's vocabulary of the time!

Yep, I'm old.  I remember sending away for them and marveling that I could now take them out of the several small 45 RPM mini suitcase-like transport boxes (even had handles - comics fit great) and have them individually protected.  The 45s I'd just lean against a wall somewhere.  (What are 45s you ask?  Well, let me tell you sonny...:preach:)

On 1/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, Robot Man said:

Anybody ever have any "fortresses"? I bought a Flash #1 in one and sold it in the fortress case it came in. These were cool. Wish I still had some.

I have seen them FS here maybe 12 years ago.  

12 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Those were revolutionary at the time!  No more cloudy polyethylene, that polypropylene was super clear stuff.  And it was a lot cheaper and not weirdly crinkly like mylites. :cloud9:

I still have quite a bit of my original purchases from the 80s in polypropylene bags along with the brown-backed backing boards.  

On 1/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, Robot Man said:

Anybody ever have any "fortresses"? I bought a Flash #1 in one and sold it in the fortress case it came in. These were cool. Wish I still had some.

I had like 6 to 10 golden age books in fortresses when the fortresses came out.

I have since taken the comics out, but I have all the fortresses around here somewhere.