• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC says "No More Stan Lee Labels"

19 posts in this topic

I resubmitted one of my Stan Lee autographed comics for a new slab (case). It was returned without the requested Stan Lee Label.

When I called CGC, I was informed that CGC no longer has the rights to put a Stan Lee Label on any resubmitted Stan Lee autographed submitted comics. 

CGC did not secure the rights to continue using the Stan Lee Label on autographed Stan Lee comics after his death.

This news is very disappointing :(

So beware, if your "Stan Lee Autograph Label" case get's cracked, chipped, pressed and regraded, you cannot get a Stan Lee Label anymore. Thanks CGC! 

11 minutes ago, jmulli said:

I resubmitted one of my Stan Lee autographed comics for a new slab (case). It was returned without the requested Stan Lee Label.

When I called CGC, I was informed that CGC no longer has the rights to put a Stan Lee Label on any resubmitted Stan Lee autographed submitted comics. 

CGC did not secure the rights to continue using the Stan Lee Label on autographed Stan Lee comics after his death.

So beware, if your "Stan Lee Autograph Label" case get's cracked, chipped, pressed and regraded, you cannot get a Stan Lee Label anymore. Thanks CGC! 

Interesting and thanks for the update. 

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Same guy complaining about the "1st Appearance of Stan Lee"...

First comment also happens to be from a popular journal poster.  All we need is an appearance from our favorite "to slab or not to slab" creator and we've got the holy Trinity.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 1/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, jmulli said:

I don't understand why CGC needs any rights to assign a Stan Lee label.  Isn't the Stan Lee label just an authentication of a signature on a comic and I would have thought the owner of the comic a signature is on owns both.  

Appreciate the heads up and will be very careful with any graded comics I own signed by Stan Lee.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, thehumantorch said:

I don't understand why CGC needs any rights to assign a Stan Lee label.  Isn't the Stan Lee label just an authentication of a signature on a comic and I would have thought the owner of the comic a signature is on owns both.  

Appreciate the heads up and will be very careful with any graded comics I own signed by Stan Lee.

You may misunderstandIt's not saying that any SS label signed by Stan will return without the "Signed by Stan Lee" designation.  There was a special label available for an additional upcharge which had a Stan Lee likeness (drawn by J. Scott Campbell) and a stock image of Stan's signature on the label.  It sounds like this special label is what is no longer available.

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

You may misunderstandIt's not saying that any SS label signed by Stan will return without the "Signed by Stan Lee" designation.  There was a special label available for an additional upcharge which had a Stan Lee likeness (drawn by J. Scott Campbell) and a stock image of Stan's signature on the label.  It sounds like this special label is what is no longer available.

Thanks for the clarification 

On 1/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, CKinTO said:

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that his image / likeness is on the label. Presume CGC had to pay to be able to use that, and the contract was only good up until he passed away. 

I believe Stan's old company POW Entertainment has his likeness rights. Stan sold his stake and then another company bought POW. Stan tried to sue them back in 2018 from what I read but ended up dropping the lawsuit. I bet the contract with CGC for the label was only good while Stan was alive. If so maybe POW wants to much for his likeness. Either way it's a shame. 

12 hours ago, oldrover said:

I wonder if CGC will emulate "the other company that shall not be named", and start doing signature verification for unslabbed books with Stan's sig, ala COA.

I hope they never do. While it would be another avenue for revenue, I like that CGC SS holds the power it does, and think adding a red label type sig verification label devalues that power somewhat. Yes one could argue that they’re different labels, so one’s potential incorrectness doesn’t affect the other. But given the value of yellow label is the integrity and the belief that it’s 99.9% legit, even a chink in the armor of another label (but still CGC brand)  IMO hurts the yellow label. It’s all built on CGC’s rep, and one bad scandal and the house can quickly come tumbling down!

12 hours ago, oldrover said:

I wonder if CGC will emulate "the other company that shall not be named", and start doing signature verification for unslabbed books with Stan's sig, ala COA.

This will never happen (in the near future) because they would cannibalize their own market share on signature slabs. Once they open that door then they would have to do it for all signatures. At that point, is there any reason to pay the yellow label premium when you can just get them verified later? Honestly, who needs a witness? Signatures have been verified and authenticated in every other market. Only in comics do we need to walk together to the booth so the artist knows to charge you more.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:14 PM, MadJimJaspers said:

This will never happen (in the near future) because they would cannibalize their own market share on signature slabs. Once they open that door then they would have to do it for all signatures. At that point, is there any reason to pay the yellow label premium when you can just get them verified later? Honestly, who needs a witness? Signatures have been verified and authenticated in every other market. Only in comics do we need to walk together to the booth so the artist knows to charge you more.

this "red label" you speak of should be only IF you are crossover a book the was SS graded by another company  and now you are adding other Sig but you want it done by CGC

Edited by darth stryfe

4 hours ago, darth stryfe said:

this "red label" you speak of should be only IF you are crossover a book the was SS graded by another company  and now you are adding other Sig but you want it done by CGC

I didnt speak of a red label but again this devalues the yellow label. They would be agreeing to recognize and verify another service's signature.