• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do comic artists get more $ for a variant cover or a regular cover?

5 posts in this topic

I doubt it.

If the artist was originally not considered to be the main artist for the book and cover, then I think they are in general glad they can also contribute a cover, but as I said, I don’t think they will get more money for it.

But all that is just my guess.

I dont think there is a difference. Even if an artist is paid to do a variiant they would probabaly get the same rate as drawing the regular cover. Many times the series has a regular artist doing the cover. Many times a big name like Neal Adams will do a variant and its treated the same. The artists is brought in to promote the book with the variant.

The big two pay basic rates to artists to draw covers. Some are able to negotiate a higher rate, but, from what I know, it was $800 per cover for Marvel. That was three years ago, so it might have gone up a bit. The artist I was working with got a little bit more because he negotiated a higher rate, but he is a legend and was making his return to Marvel after many, many years away.