• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 121 - Who should have been the one to die?
2 2

Who should have died in ASM 121?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. ASM 121 - Who should have been the one to die?

• Gwen Stacy
    • J. Jonah Jameson
    • Harry Osborn
    • Norman Osborn
    • Aunt May
    • Mary Jane Watson
    • Randy Robertson
    • Joe "Robbie" Robertson
    • Eugene "Flash" Thompson

46 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Schmakt said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Who should have died? What if I want to vote for "Spidey's butt as the focal point of cover art" as being the thing that died? ???

And if my butt looked half that good in spandex I'd be sharing it with the world too

It's a drawing. You can draw your butt anyway you want. :gossip:

8 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It's interesting to read the Conway run and see how little of the clone narrative there actually is; small bits and pieces in the early 140s up to the more continuous Spider-Clone story in the final issues.  Appropriate though in order to allow a natural grieving space after Gwen's death.  I like the way Mary Jane is given more character depth on the final page of 122; evolution to compensate for loss.

Yeah they sprinkled the Gwen clone thing from issue to issue. at the beginning starting with ASM 142 in my first panel here. That's where Peter first spots her clone (not knowing she's a clone). Next one is from issue 144 where it's obviously clearly her & he realizes it, (still unaware it's a clone), thinks he's going :screwy:. Last one is from 149 in Warren's lab where they first reveal she's a clone.

RCO012_1469439010.jpg

RCO019_1469438901.jpg

RCO009_1469503363.jpg

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

While I disagree in it being Mary Jane, I definitely agree that it should be considered only in the context of issues AF15-ASM121.  You cannot consider, what comes 'next'....

If you do consider that then you can only consider what comes until the end of that particular creative team since they would have known where the direction was of the characters they were writing for.  Therefore you can extend the story to issue 149.

Side note... Conway finishes his run with issue 149 on a cliffhanger with the Spider-clone. 

Goodwin scripts issue 150

Len Wein scripts 151 from there...

This begs the question... what happened? 

Well the original plan as I've read was that Conway intended the death to be more permanent but there was too much of an outcry from readers at the time that he & Thomas decided to bring her back starting in ASM 142 in '75.

ASM 121 was really where the silver age ended officially for ASM at least. It was a transitional issue to the racier bronze age really! The creative team decided some real life drama was necessary for the character/series. They felt that times were changing & the series had been too cookie cutter too wholesome for readers by '73. 

Here's a bit of an explainer about what the thinking was at the time for Conway & Thomas http://comicbasics.com/why-gwen-stacy-had-to-die/ 

Hope that helps

Edited by MGsimba77
Spelling

They should have kilt hairy osborne-killing gwen put MJ front and center and her character became boring after that. 

14 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Well the original plan as I've read was that Conway intended the death to be more permanent but there was too much of an outcry from readers at the time that he & Thomas decided to bring her back starting in ASM 142 in '75.

ASM 121 was really where the silver age ended officially for ASM at least. It was a transitional issue to the racier bronze age really! The creative team decided some real life drama was necessary for the character/series. They felt that times were changing & the series had been too cookie cutter too wholesome for readers by '73. 

Here's a bit of an explainer about what the thinking was at the time for Conway & Thomas http://comicbasics.com/why-gwen-stacy-had-to-die/ 

Hope that helps

I did not know they were compelled to bring her back within that time frame.  I always thought that bringing back Gwen Stacy as a clone was part of the plan.  However, the next creative team under Len Wein or finishes off the BA clone saga felt that leaving her dead was probably better for the overall story. 

interesting though. 

Ps how the hell does her neck snap upwards when she was falling downwards??   Physics FAIL.

3678979800_47e0754c02.jpg

Edited by kav

Just now, thunsicker said:

And how if he webbed her leg does she come back up chest first?

And WHY did this suddenly happen when he's web caught countless falling people with no issues???

32 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

a Marvel cover similar to ASM 121......anyone remember who died in this issue ?? 

Image result for sgt fury 18

pls tell me its not the black guy like in horror movies

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But "killed in action?"

Is a Monty pythons, "I bet she does!", out of line....? Idk.

"Triggered!" :foryou:

Oh dear god-

1 minute ago, kav said:
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But "killed in action?"

Is a Monty pythons, "I bet she does!", out of line....? Idk.

"Triggered!" :foryou:

Oh dear god-

THANKS MARVEL!!