• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing Books: Pep Comics #30 CGC 8.5 & Catman Comics #20 CGC 9.0

34 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Unless of course, you know, they don't know that they are stolen(shrug) A very, very small population of the overall collector base hangs out on these boards. There is a very good chance that a buyer would not know that they were buying stolen goods.

I was thinking of the more expensive or rarer books. Each of these books is the sole highest graded copy. There is no record of sales in these grades for these issues.  Anyone who buys these without questioning their good fortune is looking the other way, imo.

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

CGC needs to be a little transparent here. They shipped the books to the wrong address. The person who they were addressed to (not the submitter) denies receiving them. Everyone should be on the lookout for the books because it is possible, though unlikely, that the person now in possession does not know their real value.

a real shame...put an add in craige's list in area where they were delivered and saying paying cash for comics.....see if you get a bite.....and get ready to call the cops

Edited by Mmehdy

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

CGC needs to be a little transparent here. They shipped the books to the wrong address. The person who they were addressed to (not the submitter) denies receiving them. Everyone should be on the lookout for the books because it is possible, though unlikely, that the person now in possession does not know their real value.

I hate to say it but CGC made a mistake and doesn't want it to be public knowledge?

Edited by thehumantorch
add the word 'want'

kind of strange that when we asked for more information, we got practically nothing other than "northeast USA".

I would expect them to be more forthcoming with information if they are truly trying to get help from this community. I suppose that this is all they do know but if they are holding back on the details, they are missing out on the ability this board has to go into detective mode.

Seems I remember a shipment bound for Metropolis Comics got lost a few years back. It turned out the package was delivered to a business across the street from Metropolis. The packaged was signed for, but no one recognized the signature. I can't quite remember how they figured it out, but the package was recovered intact after a few days with no loss. It was a close one, but delivery mistakes happen, addresses can be entered wrong etc.

59 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Well, since CGC is adding nothing further...

Someone at CGC inadvertently sent the books to the wrong account. The real submitter explained to me that there was a keystroke mistake and the books were sent to a shop in New Jersey who had not submitted anything in a few years. The books were signed for at the shop but when CGC contacted the shop owner he said he never received the books and didn't recognize the signature as anyone who worked at the shop.

CGC is in a tough spot. They did screw up but in this case they have very little recourse other than a miraculous recovery of the books. I am sure that CGC does not want to create a witch hunt situation where any of the more militant among us actually go and get confrontational with the store owner. That could cause serious legal issues for CGC. They also obviously don't want to publicize too loudly the fact that a simple keystroke entry can cause such a massive headache. The real submitter is resigned to the fact that he may never see the books again. Hopefully that is not the case.

Please do not PM me asking for the name of the submitter or the store. The former asked me not to say and I don't know the name of the later.

If I was the book owner I would also check both addresses next door to the the comic shop...and they should be able to talk to the delivery person to confirm where they were dropped off, my only other suggestion would be to offer a reward for their return no questions  asked .....

16 hours ago, Hudson said:

Mark,

I am very sorry to hear about this.  I hope these are recovered soon and returned.

Sorry for what?  Mark didn't lose his books.  No one ever tells me they're sorry for me when my client screws up.

4 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Sorry for what?  Mark didn't lose his books.  No one ever tells me they're sorry for me when my client screws up.

I assumed (at the time I wrote) that these books belonged to Mark.  Since I have always known Mark to be a great guy (done business with him, etc), I was sorry for his loss (just as I would feel bad for any of my friends who experienced a loss).   I did not know the books belonged to someone else.  I hope the owner can recover his books.  

13 minutes ago, Transplant said:

No one ever tells me they're sorry for me when my client screws up.

I considered it, but quickly realized there wasn't enough time in a day.

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

No one ever tells me they're sorry for me when my client screws up.

Would have to apologize for all of 'em. Every one of your clients has screwed up simply by hiring you.

23 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Respectfully, I don't see exactly what type of transparency was needed here. There was an unfortunate rare shipping error. The books have gone missing despite having been received by someone according to FedEx. As a result, we have been unable to locate the books so we took the appropriate steps in response. We have taken full responsibility for the mishap and have been in constant, timely contact with the owner of the books and we will be making proper restitution after full discussion and mutual agreement with the individual. In the meantime, the relevant law enforcement authority was notified of the disappearance of the books in case they turn up and it is determined a crime was committed. 

The relevant facts that the community needed, i.e., that two significant books have gone missing, was then disseminated in the hope the books will turn up.

If anyone has further concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. Because there is nothing further that needs to be discussed here, we are going to lock this thread.