• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Years Resolutions
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Have any? Anyway, I feel like I made some progress on some fronts at the end of 2018 and feel like I can get a lot accomplished in 2019. I'll start with comics stuff and move to other stuff.

1) Clean up my comic cave, get my collection organized and databased, bag and board what should be, get rid of gross bags. Some of you have seen pictures of the cavern, one of you has actually been in there.... Be able to produce a picture of that place worth showing here!

2) Start selling consistently again on ebay (I have accomplished this in the last month or so) / get my oldest son as a productive part of the comic empire team to make up for income that does not come in during the months when I am not adjuncting (I got a little addicted to that extra $ every month, but I won't get another class until September, if ever)... maybe become flyingdonutjunior?

3) Find some other venues to move some stuff in quantity (I just need a more manageable collection right now)

4) Make some smart GA acquisitions (ok, this is pretty broad, I know) / rip off an old person who has a room full of comics their long lost son left there 50/60 years ago (ok, joking about the last part...) 

5) Get a bunch of books off the CGC. If I have 50 books worth slabbing, I should just suck it up and do it. If some would benefit greatly from a press, go for it. There is no time like the present.

6) Try to get a great piece of OA from an artist I like of a subject I care about for under $350

7) Set up at at least one local show (unlikely)

Non-Comic

8) Clean up my garage so I can have an art studio in there

9) Paint for at least 5 hours a week (I think this will help my psyche) -- this probably means less social media / here time

10) Participate in my neighborhood "open studios" tour in October.. which means I need to have my garage studio set and have painted some paintings worth looking at

11) Lose 100 pounds (I have lost 35 thus far...100 gets me down to where I was when I started dating my wife, that will be fine for now) [this includes a lot of stuff like going to the gym, etc.]

12) Be able to bench my weight again (not so easy when you weigh over 300 pounds, I am hoping more doable at 220)

13) Pay off my credit card debt (I don't have a crazy number, thankfully)

14) Get the $15-25,000 in immediate home repairs I need done completed (not sure where the money comes from...sell more comics?)

15) Lay some groundwork for finishing my basement (exactly what, I dunno, maybe get an architect down there?)

I have some other stuff, but 15 seems plenty, especially some of them entail a few things in one

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Have any? Anyway, I feel like I made some progress on some fronts at the end of 2018 and feel like I can get a lot accomplished in 2019. I'll start with comics stuff and move to other stuff.

1) Clean up my comic cave, get my collection organized and databased, bag and board what should be, get rid of gross bags. Some of you have seen pictures of the cavern, one of you has actually been in there.... Be able to produce a picture of that place worth showing here!

2) Start selling consistently again on ebay (I have accomplished this in the last month or so) / get my oldest son as a productive part of the comic empire team to make up for income that does not come in during the months when I am not adjuncting (I got a little addicted to that extra $ every month, but I won't get another class until September, if ever)... maybe become flyingdonutjunior?

3) Find some other venues to move some stuff in quantity (I just need a more manageable collection right now)

4) Make some smart GA acquisitions (ok, this is pretty broad, I know) / rip off an old person who has a room full of comics their long lost son left there 50/60 years ago (ok, joking about the last part...) 

5) Get a bunch of books off the CGC. If I have 50 books worth slabbing, I should just suck it up and do it. If some would benefit greatly from a press, go for it. There is no time like the present.

6) Try to get a great piece of OA from an artist I like of a subject I care about for under $350

7) Set up at at least one local show (unlikely)

Non-Comic

8) Clean up my garage so I can have an art studio in there

9) Paint for at least 5 hours a week (I think this will help my psyche) -- this probably means less social media / here time

10) Participate in my neighborhood "open studios" tour in October.. which means I need to have my garage studio set and have painted some paintings worth looking at

11) Lose 100 pounds (I have lost 35 thus far...100 gets me down to where I was when I started dating my wife, that will be fine for now) [this includes a lot of stuff like going to the gym, etc.]

12) Be able to bench my weight again (not so easy when you weigh over 300 pounds, I am hoping more doable at 220)

13) Pay off my credit card debt (I don't have a crazy number, thankfully)

14) Get the $15-25,000 in immediate home repairs I need done completed (not sure where the money comes from...sell more comics?)

15) Lay some groundwork for finishing my basement (exactly what, I dunno, maybe get an architect down there?)

I have some other stuff, but 15 seems plenty, especially some of them entail a few things in one

Good luck to you! those are all worthy goals !

I would suggest setting actual dates for these things for example :" lose 5 lbs by 2/1/19"!  otherwise the year will fly by & nothing will happen!

1. Laugh more 

2. Read more comics - Really need to take better advantage of my Marvel Unlimited subscription. I sold all the free swag that came with it, so It's basically free.

3. Buy a house - This has been a little bit in the making, and it has severely limited my comic buying...

4. Figure out what comics to buy in 2020.

5. Start running again.

Comic:

• GI Joe Page or Two
  • Golden Age Book 
  • Upgrade a Spider-man Book 
  • Sell even more. 

Non-Comic

• I gave up fast food, McDonalds, Burger King, Chick-Fil-A, Taco Bell, Wendy's, All-American, Checkers, White Castle... all of that and more in 2010.
  • I renewed that for a year. 
  • I do tend to eat sandwiches a few times a week so I went on a 30 Day purge of that. 
  • Gut the old bathroom and put in a new one. I want comic and toy sales to pay for it so I have $6100 currently put aside. I want $12000 around before I start seriously considering hiring the contractor to do it. 

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

My resolution is to slap my head every time Blob posts until he brings back his avatar.

doh!

The only avatar I ever had was a cartoon of a guy getting anally assaulted by a giant celery stalk and enjoying it. (It was a 50s cartoon promoting eating more fiber and having a healthy colon).

Frustrating. The electric company shut off my electricity for a minute while updating my meter. The next day the fridge is dead (but the lights turn on). I wonder if they short circuited something, but if they did, why did it take a day? Maybe just coincidence.

My list is similar to the blob’s.

1.  Get my comic room in order and actually hang some stuff on the walls. Once I get stuff in order, I can easily find stuff. 

2.  Send a bunch of stuff to CGC

3.  Figure out how to use my CGC credit. 

4.  Get my feet fixed. Getting old sucks  

5. Stay focused on my very limited buying list for comics which includes Batman upgrades, a small number of Timelys, a few Lou Fine covers, and that Spider-Man #1. I am still waiting for the right copy to show up. 

6.  Take more vacations. Been so busy these last few years I really haven’t taken much time off. 

Congratulations on the weight loss @the blob

Starting in 2019 I found a new job. It pays awesome and they treat me well. I couldn't be more happy there.

My home life has always been very good.

1) I aim to enjoy the comic hobby as I would like. I'd like to target some big keys (well... big for me): ASM 122, Batman 232, X-Men 94, IH 181.
    Complete my DD, Batman, FF, ASM comic runs.
    Slab some comics I've been meaning to send in and begin selling some of my collection to make space.
    Make some good friends and enjoy the usual banter on the CGC boards.

2) Visit family more often.

3) Continue my weight and BJJ Training. I haven't found the proper fitness regiment yet for what I'm trying to achieve. I'm still 3 1/2 yrs from Blue Belt, so plenty of whoopings in my future.

#16, and I meant to list it, because it is something I am trying to stick to, and have done thus far this year

Do not buy lunch at work. Obviously there may be exceptions for a going away lunch or whatever, but aside from a weight loss issue (hard to know what is going in the food I buy), I can easily spend $40-50+ a week on lunch around here. Better to save that money and put it toward debt reduction, comic acquisition, home repair, or my half of a family vacation.