• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Misprint: rare/valuable, or lowers grade? Uncanny X-Men #300

8 posts in this topic

I've been searching all over the web and this forum seems to be the best place to determine whether this kind of misprint is looked upon favorably by collectors.

Please see attached pictures of Uncanny X-Men #300, and please note the roughness around the "The Uncanny" lettering and the smooshed background just below the "X-Men" logo.

It looks to me as if the holofoil stock has a seam in it, and that the underprinting was under printed. I've only found one other example of a comic book with this kind of holofoil misprint, and it's the same issue: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/uncanny-men-300-misprint-error-cover-138318144 (which claims to have originated from ebay, but I could not find the associated ebay listing) which is significantly more misprinted than mine -- perhaps the issue was worsening over time in the print run.

Otherwise this book looks to be in pretty good condition to me... I'm no pro grader but it's rather crisp.

What do you think? Collectible? Or hardly worth the cost of shipping?

unc_xmen_300_2_edit.jpg

unc_xmen_300_1_edit.jpg

unc_xmen_300_2edit2.jpg

Edited by DFMouse

These 1990s processes (holofoil covers, chromium covers, holograms, etc.) were pretty new at the time, and the print runs were in the hundreds of thousands.  As a result, you've got a process which wasn't yet perfected combined with high quantities and the end result is lots of errors.  It's nearly impossible to tell if an error is 1-in-a-million or 1-in-a-hundred or even 50% of the print run (although, 50% might be pretty obvious), so there's not a lot of information available for basing value on data.  Error comic value tends to be based on "neat factor" - which is basically the same thing as "the percentage of people who would say 'that's neat' when you show them the error" multiplied by the value of a regular (no error) copy.  This one, unfortunately, probably doesn't score very high on the "neat factor"... and the standard (no error) book is otherwise not valuable.  I'd rate it "slightly above not valuable", and just make a note if it was in my collection by putting a Post-It on the outside of the bag & board. :foryou:

Edited by valiantman

On 1/16/2019 at 6:05 PM, DFMouse said:

I've been searching all over the web and this forum seems to be the best place to determine whether this kind of misprint is looked upon favorably by collectors.

Please see attached pictures of Uncanny X-Men #300, and please note the roughness around the "The Uncanny" lettering and the smooshed background just below the "X-Men" logo.

It looks to me as if the holofoil stock has a seam in it, and that the underprinting was under printed. I've only found one other example of a comic book with this kind of holofoil misprint, and it's the same issue: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/uncanny-men-300-misprint-error-cover-138318144 (which claims to have originated from ebay, but I could not find the associated ebay listing) which is significantly more misprinted than mine -- perhaps the issue was worsening over time in the print run.

Otherwise this book looks to be in pretty good condition to me... I'm no pro grader but it's rather crisp.

What do you think? Collectible? Or hardly worth the cost of shipping?

unc_xmen_300_2_edit.jpg

unc_xmen_300_1_edit.jpg

unc_xmen_300_2edit2.jpg

I think Valiantman pretty much summed it up, but I thought I'd add that if I were looking to sell such a book, I'd probably start it as an eBay auction with a fairly high opening bid, and gradually lower it if it didn't sell. The problem with selling error copies is that sometimes it takes a while for the person who wants it to even find it

I’m recently looking over old comics, ya know pandemic and all. Anyway, I have a King size annual X-men #4 which shows Professor X’s face and hand as red. It looks like a misprint.  I cant find anything on line of something similar. What should i do with it? Thoughts? 

7959D0AA-E394-4EB0-9149-71BCA7D6545F.jpeg

6F0C0E6A-E2F9-4395-8532-150F8A95195D.jpeg