• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Sales Tax for Buyers
1 1

37 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Donger said:

When I logged into CL today I got a notice that they were now collecting sales tax on items being shipped to NY.   Are they doing this for all states?  Did anyone else get the notification?

Thanks,

Donger

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/12/23/sales-tax-online-retailers-begin-collect-internet-customers/2387450002/

Apparently this will apply to several states.

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Well looks like Comic Link is now on the same playing field as Comic Connect and Heritage. 

Booooo

It's facebook tiiiiiiiiiime !

and Ebay...they are also charging tax on all sales shipped to the aforementioned states.

Here is ComicConnect's take on it:

https://www.comicconnect.com/load_page.php?page=SalesTax

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Well looks like Comic Link is now on the same playing field as Comic Connect and Heritage. 

Booooo

Yeah, but how secured and safe are you in say buying a big book.  Can you actually trust the seller 100%?  I think selling on FB or any social media is the same as selling on ebay minus the new tax laws with ebay but at least with ebay, you do have some buyer's and seller's protection. With FB and IG, that's thrown out the window. Also there's no middleman to check and make sure everything is legit for either one of them.  I'd rather pay the auction house the 10% or so to have peace of mind

Edited by Dark Knight

Booooo

I'm in Illinois and I got my notice from Clink last year. First Heritage, then CLink, and lastly ComicConnect for Illinois. I think E-Bay also but I never buy any comics from them. Now, here is the big question. Are dealers with Website orders going to start to collect ?

Booooo

Facebook comic sellers are reminiscent of Flea Market sellers who have no idea how to grade and price.

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm in Illinois and I got my notice from Clink last year. First Heritage, then CLink, and lastly ComicConnect for Illinois. I think E-Bay also but I never buy any comics from them. Now, here is the big question. Are dealers with Website orders going to start to collect ?

I've bought from ebay and a huge online dealer from texas in 2019 and wasn't charge taxes

Just now, Spiderturtle said:

I've bought from ebay and a huge online dealer from texas in 2019 and wasn't charge taxes

Texas is one of the states that hasn’t come up with the legislation to tax auction houses located elsewhere and selling to Texas buyers.  But for the auction houses located IN Texas, they are supposed to collect taxes, and Heritage does it to me every time

24 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yeah, but how secured and safe are you in say buying a big book.  Can you actually trust the seller 100%?  I think selling on FB or any social media is the same as selling on ebay minus the new tax laws with ebay but at least with ebay, you do have some buyer's and seller's protection. With FB and IG, that's thrown out the window. Also there's no middleman to check and make sure everything is legit for either one of them.  I'd rather pay the auction house the 10% or so to have peace of mind

Doesn't matter what platform the seller sells the book.  If they are taking an electronic payment the seller is "supposed" to follow that States new online sales tax rules.  South Dakota has a $100K,  200 transactions for a year,  that year is rolling quarter to quarter.  California adopted the same rules.  If you are taking paypal payments that state can audit your paypal or merchant services transactions,  just like the US Govt tracks the 1099 you are getting from paypal today.  The big issue that comes to question is how vigilant the states will be in auditing.  If your state is already aggressive CA, PA are two that come to mind then you may get a letter or call for sales tax.   

The Auction houses are probably doing the $100K/200 transactions in most of the states so they are implementing the collection of sales tax.  If you are dealing with somebody that isn't charging you sales tax they are probably under that threshold.  But that doesn't mean you won't eventually get taxed since as I state above the threshold is not $100K/200 transactions a calendar year,  its $100K/200 transactions quarter over quarter.  You hit either of the thresholds and you are supposed to start collecting.  Now the part that I'm wondering out loud is how the state would know that information without auditing your paypal or merchant services account.    

Edited by blazingbob

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Doesn't matter what platform the seller sells the book.  If they are taking an electronic payment the seller is "supposed" to follow that States new online sales tax rules.  South Dakota has a $100K,  200 transactions for a year,  that year is rolling quarter to quarter.  If you are taking paypal payments that state can audit your paypal or merchant services transactions,  just like the US Govt tracks the 1099 you are getting from paypal today.  The big issue that comes to question is how vigilant the states will be in auditing.  If your state is already aggressive CA, PA are two that come to mind then you may get a letter or call for sales tax.   

Having just come thru a 2 year audit, I can tell you the IRS will ask for your paypal records.  I don’t know why, because other posts I’ve seen suggest that paypal already sends records to the IRS.  Fortunately, my 2 years of hell ended with “no adjustments” imposed by those IRS pirates.

7 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Doesn't matter what platform the seller sells the book.  If they are taking an electronic payment the seller is "supposed" to follow that States new online sales tax rules.  South Dakota has a $100K,  200 transactions for a year,  that year is rolling quarter to quarter.  California adopted the same rules.  If you are taking paypal payments that state can audit your paypal or merchant services transactions,  just like the US Govt tracks the 1099 you are getting from paypal today.  The big issue that comes to question is how vigilant the states will be in auditing.  If your state is already aggressive CA, PA are two that come to mind then you may get a letter or call for sales tax.   

The Auction houses are probably doing the $100K/200 transactions in most of the states so they are implementing the collection of sales tax.  If you are dealing with somebody that isn't charging you sales tax they are probably under that threshold.  But that doesn't mean you won't eventually get taxed since as I state above the threshold is not $100K/200 transactions a calendar year,  its $100K/200 transactions quarter over quarter.  You hit either of the thresholds and you are supposed to start collecting.  Now the part that I'm wondering out loud is how the state would know that information without auditing your paypal or merchant services account.    

CLink may be shipping millions of $ in books to NY (and used to be here), so that's probably it. Same for CA and Florida I assume.

I know Paypal has a 200 transaction and $200K in sale threshold where they will send you a form 1099-k tax form.  With the new individual state laws applied, how would this affect paypal transactions?  Will Paypal adjust to what the state laws are or keep it the same?

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

the 200/$200K is for reporting income,  sales tax agency is separate agency.

so you have to report income over $200 throughout the whole year on paypal?

I just started selling via paypal on ebay in 2018, what should I expect? a form from PayPal this Spring?

I only sold maybe close to $500-600 in 2018....

5 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

200 transactions or 200K you get a 1099 from paypal.

ah I see, lol I just called them too, I wasn't even close to that so (thumbsu but I had an uh oh moment hahaha

43 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I know Paypal has a 200 transaction and $200K in sale threshold where they will send you a form 1099-k tax form.  With the new individual state laws applied, how would this affect paypal transactions?  Will Paypal adjust to what the state laws are or keep it the same?

It's $20k in gross sales, not 200.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-does-paypal-report-my-sales-to-the-irs-will-i-receive-a-1099-tax-statement-faq729