• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lone Wolf and Cub art
2 2

14 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Peter L said:

Looks great!  Are pieces like these common in Japan?

The Lone Wolf artwork is his most recognizable and sought-after work, but his career was pretty extensive with other manga series from the 70s through the late 90s.  There are original sketches and extensive art pieces to be had, if you are willing to pay for them.  He died almost twenty years ago, so his nicest works are in the hands of galleries or private collectors here in Japan.  Very few pieces trickle over the pond. 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:42 AM, Nexus said:

I've written about this a few times here over the years, but it's been a while. I went to Japan roughly 60 times in the late '90s/early '00s. Spent a fair amount of time hunting Kojima LW&C art specifically. Learned a lot. Met several collectors. Nothing published is available. There are many, many sketches out there. The one you show at the top is a common go-to pose; of all the Itto Ogami/Daigoro pieces he did, this is the one you'll see the most. All variations on a theme. Daigoro pieces were most plentiful at that time...anecdotally, it's something like 10-1 ratio of Daigoro to Itto Ogami sketches. Daigoro is considered the "hero" of the story; the original collections mostly featured Daigoro alone on the covers.

Learned a bit more as well, but those are the main bullet points. I wrote about all this in a CFA-APA article years ago. I don't have it at my fingertips, but anyone who has the back issues can probably find it.

Thanks.  When you say nothing published is available, do you mean it is in the hands of collectors that won't let them go or it has vanished?

I have heard original Speed Racer cells do not exist.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:48 PM, Peter L said:

Thanks.  When you say nothing published is available, do you mean it is in the hands of collectors that won't let them go or it has vanished?

I have heard original Speed Racer cells do not exist.

My understanding is that the original publisher has all of it.

As has been mentioned before, the majority of Kojima artwork found in Japan is of Daigoro.  After being exposed to so much bloodshed and destruction, Daigoro is often depicted showing an innocent curiosity with animals and nature.  In appreciation of the upcoming Heritage illustration (not mine), here are some 'Daigoro with turtle' examples I've seen over the years.  Probably the most common animals Daigoro are seen with are: frog, puppy, turtle, fish, dragonfly and praying mantis (in that orderhm).

Edited by BanjerD

On 11/10/2022 at 11:54 PM, BanjerD said:

So, just an update on some information I've discovered about Goseki Kojima and his published artworks. :foryou:

There was a press release in 2021 of a couple NFTs for Kojima works currently archived in the Yokote Masuda Manga Museum in Akita Prefecture.  While I can find no news of the actual "sale" of the NFTs, which was likely a stupid idea to begin with, what IS interesting that the article mentions:

"Kojima’s work now exists as a memory of his life. After his death in 2000, the Goseki Productions was set up to manage the copyright of his work and preserve his legacy. The organization has more than 65,000 original artworks by Goseki Kojima."

And through another article about the archiving of published works by a Hungarian researcher working at the museum, you can see some actual LW&C published pages being scanned and archived at the museum.

So there you have it folks!  Literally his entire published life's work is preserved for the public to enjoy for future generations at the manga museum in Akita.:cheers:

8c54ad597c3776a05df8452f8b7d747c-768x512.jpg

Killer page - I remember it well

Ban Dan the Man,

Thank you for letting me know about these OAs. And thank you for the thread.

And thanks to all for continuing to compile for posterity, this great work.

If the fans don't, it won't happen. (at least in English)