Lone Wolf and Cub art
3 3

11 posts in this topic

111 posts

Pretty cool? Jesus man that’s legendary 

165 posts

Looks great!  Are pieces like these common in Japan?

69 posts
30 minutes ago, Peter L said:

Looks great!  Are pieces like these common in Japan?

The Lone Wolf artwork is his most recognizable and sought-after work, but his career was pretty extensive with other manga series from the 70s through the late 90s.  There are original sketches and extensive art pieces to be had, if you are willing to pay for them.  He died almost twenty years ago, so his nicest works are in the hands of galleries or private collectors here in Japan.  Very few pieces trickle over the pond. 

165 posts
On 1/18/2019 at 8:42 AM, Nexus said:

I've written about this a few times here over the years, but it's been a while. I went to Japan roughly 60 times in the late '90s/early '00s. Spent a fair amount of time hunting Kojima LW&C art specifically. Learned a lot. Met several collectors. Nothing published is available. There are many, many sketches out there. The one you show at the top is a common go-to pose; of all the Itto Ogami/Daigoro pieces he did, this is the one you'll see the most. All variations on a theme. Daigoro pieces were most plentiful at that time...anecdotally, it's something like 10-1 ratio of Daigoro to Itto Ogami sketches. Daigoro is considered the "hero" of the story; the original collections mostly featured Daigoro alone on the covers.

Learned a bit more as well, but those are the main bullet points. I wrote about all this in a CFA-APA article years ago. I don't have it at my fingertips, but anyone who has the back issues can probably find it.

Thanks.  When you say nothing published is available, do you mean it is in the hands of collectors that won't let them go or it has vanished?

I have heard original Speed Racer cells do not exist.

242 posts

Those are amazing!!!

I was a researcher at Sophia University more than a decade ago and I developed a deep appreciation then for woodblock prints.

37 posts

I have this Sgt. Rock Special page by Doug Wildey that has a homage to Lone Wolf and Cub, or at least that is what the seller was telling me. But I thought it was a nice page anyway.

20190119_192704.jpg

42,052 posts
On 1/20/2019 at 10:48 PM, Peter L said:

Thanks.  When you say nothing published is available, do you mean it is in the hands of collectors that won't let them go or it has vanished?

I have heard original Speed Racer cells do not exist.

My understanding is that the original publisher has all of it.

69 posts

I've come across panels from his works other than LW&C.

kojima_panels.jpg

Edited by BanjerD

69 posts

I picked up another Goseki Kojima illustration which I will likely try to sell/trade.  This does not relate directly with the Lone Wolf epic.  This is an illustration of an O-namazu, a mythological Japanese catfish which is supposedly the cause of earthquakes when it swishes its tail. Kojima named the piece "怒" (ika) which means 'anger'. 

i-img480x640-1550489423vgprkg655721.jpg

i-img640x480-15504894239h4zqa662395.jpg

Edited by BanjerD