• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help on trying to price my "The new mutants #87" signed by Stan Lee and Rob Liefeld at a market value

46 posts in this topic

Hello people of CGC. Just haven't made a post on this forum in a while.

I need help trying to price my “New mutants #87” signed by the late Stan Lee and Rob Liefeld at the current market value at a grade of 9.0 off white to white pages. You see I am trying to sell this signatured key issue from 1990 at the current market value by auctioning it off. And I can’t risk on spending like $38.63 and later getting ripped off if the item does not sell for 514.99. Because ebay can’t refund sellers of the item does not sell in the auction.  Which I find hypocritical.

I need help on finding a reserved price at market value and see if I can exceed that amount to a premium.

And if I am thinking about selling it for like $514.99. Give me an alternative to an auction site like ebay that offers selling a item at $514.99 at a cheap price.

Thank you.

Edited by Convention dude94
Adding some tags

A 9.6 with those sigs plus Macfarlane sold for $371 less than a month ago.  No other venue would do better than ebay so adjust your expectations downward to somewhere like sig cost + grading fee + cover price to start your auction and if anyone bids, chalk it up as a win. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-87-CGC-SS-9-6-signed-x3-by-STAN-LEE-McFarlane-Liefeld-1st-Cable-/254028881976?hash=item3b254d2038%3Ag%3AQs8AAOSwoylcFvi6&nma=true&si=NdbWG3T9B%2FjXMpCz%2B20mesRHb%2B4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

7 hours ago, Convention dude94 said:

I need help trying to price my “New mutants #87” signed by the late Stan Lee and Rob Liefeld at the current market value at a grade of 9.0 off white to white pages.

Well you are trying to set your price at a pretty volatile time in the market when it comes to signed Stan Lee comics. 

1. With Stan's passing on Nov 12 of last year the market has been flooded by a) sellers looking to get the most for their signed Stan Lee comics and b) buyers who are looking for something signed by Stan. These buyers aren't always the most market knowledgeable (either about comics or CGC Sig Series) so you see some odd fluctuations (like a CGC SS Stan sig 9.0 selling for more than a 9.4  just cause someone hit a BIN). 

2. The market has seemed to set a floor for CGCed Stan Lee Signed books, so that will help to inform us.. but

Am I working under the right assumption that your book is not CGCed or signed through the Sig Series process? 

That really affects the assessment. 

Here's the data IF the book is CGCed and SSeries. 

A CGC SS 8.0 Signed by Stan sold for $350, while a regular CGC 8.0 has been selling for around $100, so Stan's sig series signature is valued at $250. 

A CGC SS 9.4 signed by Stan and Liefeld sold for $325, while an unsigned CGC 9.4 is selling on average for $175, so thos two signatures only added $150 in value to the book. 

(see what I mean by wildly fluctuating market? The CGC SS 8.0 was likely a BIN that someone who doesnt collect comics purchased, but it's a data point none the less)

Now this is all data that helps decide value, especially if the book you are selling is CGCed. 

BUT if it's not, then we need to look at raw sales (non-CGCed)

1. There have been no sales of New Mutants 87 with an unverified stan lee signature on them in the last 90 days. The closest we get is a PGX slab sale (which actually might sell for less than a raw copy) signed by Lee, Liefled and Todd Mc, and it sold for $100 (due to their ability to certify signatures being dubious at best). 

2. There are NO listings of a raw New Mutants 87 with Stan's signature on them, so either you are gonna corner the market, or no one is interested (more likely the latter)

3. In general there are over 1700 listings for "Stan Lee signed" items (I removed all CGC books), of those 53 have bids (or 3 % of listings). The highest bids on raw comics are: 

1. Black Panther #1 ($200)
  2. ASM 365 $100
  3. ASM (v2) #11 $54

4. In general Spiderman sells far better than any other comic book signed by stan, and then comics Stan worked on sell better than comics he didn't. So your NM87 has an uphill battle. Looking at sold copper, non Spider-man books that have sold in last 90 days you're best comps are: 

1. X-men (v2) #1 signed by Stan ($200 BIN purchase, again BINs arent as reliable for market setting)
  2. Infinity Gauntlet #1 signed by stan ($200)
  3. Punisher #1 signed by stan $189 BIN
  4. X-men (v2) #1 signed by Stan ($169)

5. A raw copy of NM87 (not signed by anyone) in your grade seems to be selling for around $150. 

Your problem is that you have to solve a few problems

1. If you are selling a raw NM87 signed by Stan, you have to price it well under what a CGC SS NM87 is selling for. Also the market listings are inflated (like someone has a Lee/Liefeld CGC SS 5.0 listed with a BIN for $900, and it'll never sell). 

2. Your real competition is not with other NM87s, but with other raw Stan Lee signatures, and as I showed below, the market there is around $200.

in the end the three data points that set your price are:

• A raw NM87 is selling for $150
  • A Raw Stan Lee signature is selling for $150-200
  • A Sig Series CGCed NM87 in higher grade sold for $325-50

I think (again assuming the book is raw) that your price point is $299 and you take advantage that there are no auctions on the market for the book at the moment. Maybe you get lucky and you have a cable fan wanting a stan signature, but who doesnt want to shell out $900 for one of the CGC SS BINs and who doesnt want to wait for one to pop up in an auction. But be prepared to relist at $249. 

(the other problem you are running into is that there are probably buyers out there for a raw NM87, but who are turned off by it being signed, since in some eyes that hurts the books condition rather than enhance it)

10 hours ago, Convention dude94 said:

Hello people of CGC. Just haven't made a post on this forum in a while.

I need help trying to price my “New mutants #87” signed by the late Stan Lee and Rob Liefeld at the current market value at a grade of 9.0 off white to white pages. You see I am trying to sell this signatured key issue from 1990 at the current market value by auctioning it off. And I can’t risk on spending like $38.63 and later getting ripped off if the item does not sell for 514.99. Because ebay can’t refund sellers of the item does not sell in the auction.  Which I find hypocritical.

I need help on finding a reserved price at market value and see if I can exceed that amount to a premium.

And if I am thinking about selling it for like $514.99. Give me an alternative to an auction site like ebay that offers selling a item at $514.99 at a cheap price.

Thank you.

Is this the same book you were hoping to get around $1000 for in this thread? The one you bought for $399?

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Well you are trying to set your price at a pretty volatile time in the market when it comes to signed Stan Lee comics

1. With Stan's passing on Nov 12 of last year the market has been flooded by a) sellers looking to get the most for their signed Stan Lee comics and b) buyers who are looking for something signed by Stan. These buyers aren't always the most market knowledgeable (either about comics or CGC Sig Series) so you see some odd fluctuations (like a CGC SS Stan sig 9.0 selling for more than a 9.4  just cause someone hit a BIN). 

2. The market has seemed to set a floor for CGCed Stan Lee Signed books, so that will help to inform us.. but

Am I working under the right assumption that your book is not CGCed or signed through the Sig Series process? 

That really affects the assessment. 

Here's the data IF the book is CGCed and SSeries. 

A CGC SS 8.0 Signed by Stan sold for $350, while a regular CGC 8.0 has been selling for around $100, so Stan's sig series signature is valued at $250. 

A CGC SS 9.4 signed by Stan and Liefeld sold for $325, while an unsigned CGC 9.4 is selling on average for $175, so thos two signatures only added $150 in value to the book. 

(see what I mean by wildly fluctuating market? The CGC SS 8.0 was likely a BIN that someone who doesnt collect comics purchased, but it's a data point none the less)

Now this is all data that helps decide value, especially if the book you are selling is CGCed

BUT if it's not, then we need to look at raw sales (non-CGCed)

1. There have been no sales of New Mutants 87 with an unverified stan lee signature on them in the last 90 days. The closest we get is a PGX slab sale (which actually might sell for less than a raw copy) signed by Lee, Liefled and Todd Mc, and it sold for $100 (due to their ability to certify signatures being dubious at best). 

2. There are NO listings of a raw New Mutants 87 with Stan's signature on them, so either you are gonna corner the market, or no one is interested (more likely the latter)

3. In general there are over 1700 listings for "Stan Lee signed" items (I removed all CGC books), of those 53 have bids (or 3 % of listings). The highest bids on raw comics are: 

1. Black Panther #1 ($200)
  2. ASM 365 $100
  3. ASM (v2) #11 $54

4. In general Spiderman sells far better than any other comic book signed by stan, and then comics Stan worked on sell better than comics he didn't. So your NM87 has an uphill battle. Looking at sold copper, non Spider-man books that have sold in last 90 days you're best comps are: 

1. X-men (v2) #1 signed by Stan ($200 BIN purchase, again BINs arent as reliable for market setting)
  2. Infinity Gauntlet #1 signed by stan ($200)
  3. Punisher #1 signed by stan $189 BIN
  4. X-men (v2) #1 signed by Stan ($169)

5. A raw copy of NM87 (not signed by anyone) in your grade seems to be selling for around $150. 

Your problem is that you have to solve a few problems

1. If you are selling a raw NM87 signed by Stan, you have to price it well under what a CGC SS NM87 is selling for. Also the market listings are inflated (like someone has a Lee/Liefeld CGC SS 5.0 listed with a BIN for $900, and it'll never sell). 

2. Your real competition is not with other NM87s, but with other raw Stan Lee signatures, and as I showed below, the market there is around $200.

in the end the three data points that set your price are:

• A raw NM87 is selling for $150
  • A Raw Stan Lee signature is selling for $150-200
  • A Sig Series CGCed NM87 in higher grade sold for $325-50

I think (again assuming the book is raw) that your price point is $299 and you take advantage that there are no auctions on the market for the book at the moment. Maybe you get lucky and you have a cable fan wanting a stan signature, but who doesnt want to shell out $900 for one of the CGC SS BINs and who doesnt want to wait for one to pop up in an auction. But be prepared to relist at $249. 

(the other problem you are running into is that there are probably buyers out there for a raw NM87, but who are turned off by it being signed, since in some eyes that hurts the books condition rather than enhance it)

Here is my picture of it. 

IMG_2620.JPG

7 minutes ago, Convention dude94 said:

Thank you. I like South park.

To be honest, I recently bought a 9.6 for about $210 including shipping...

I don't know what's up with cable ???

Seems like a popular character in my book :foryou:

I would assume lefield charges more to sign NM #87? So it's at least worth the price of the sigs...edit plus grade...

I feel you though, cause I had a NM #98 signed by lefield that came back an 8.0 :(

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

To be honest, I recently bought a 9.6 for about $210 including shipping...

I don't know what's up with cable ???

Seems like a popular character in my book :foryou:

I would assume lefield charges more to sign NM #87? So it's at least worth the price of the sigs...

I feel you though, cause I had a NM #98 signed by lefield that came back an 8.0 :(

If I get it recertified by like PSA or JSA? Will I get more than just the grade?

If you think it is worth in the $500s list it as a fixed price BIN a bit higher in the $500s with a best offer. You may never sell it, but it won't cost you a dime to list it. As $500s is already $150-$300 more than market (of course, you have a small sample size), I'd be hesitant to go into the $600s (with the assumption you'd take an offer for less) because that number at just result in people not even looking.

Yes, the Stan Lee signature market is certainly in flux, in part because everyone and his second cousin (that he might be married to) seems to be signing stan lee's name to comics and claiming authentic sigantures. It is disgusting and so many look like bad amateur jobs. You have the real thing, so that helps. Alas, Stan signed about 3 billion SS books, so not a rarety, but heck, Picassos aren't rare either! Neither are diamonds.

1 minute ago, Convention dude94 said:

If I get it recertified by like PSA or JSA? Will I get more than just the grade?

That is out of my wheelhouse :sorry: I'm familiar with PSA due to the card hobby, I don't really know more than that....(I prefer beckett) 

but I've heard other boardies talk about their (PSA and JSA) certification process, I don't remember all of it sounding good :foryou: 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is out of my wheelhouse :sorry: I'm familiar with PSA due to the card hobby, I don't really know more than that....(I prefer beckett) 

but I've heard other boardies talk about their (PSA and JSA) certification process, I don't remember all of it sounding good :foryou: 

Please help me out on what you mean by "I don't remember all of it sounding good."

Just now, Convention dude94 said:

Please help me out on what you mean by "I don't remember all of it sounding good."

That means that I can't quote them verbatim, and rather than sound foolish, I'm giving an overall view.... :foryou: