• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help on trying to price my "The new mutants #87" signed by Stan Lee and Rob Liefeld at a market value

46 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

To be honest, I recently bought a 9.6 for about $210 including shipping...

I don't know what's up with cable ???

Seems like a popular character in my book :foryou:

I would assume lefield charges more to sign NM #87? So it's at least worth the price of the sigs...edit plus grade...

I feel you though, cause I had a NM #98 signed by lefield that came back an 8.0 :(

I guess there is a little lull in the character. Is he just going to be a Deadpool buddy? Is he going to get worked into the X-Men movies? I think he was done well in Deadpool 2, but I don't think there was enough to have people screaming for a Cable movie. I have a couple of these I may get submitted. On the fence as they are probably 9.0 - 9.2 unless a press may help.

11 minutes ago, Convention dude94 said:

If I get it recertified by like PSA or JSA? Will I get more than just the grade?

Your book is certified by CGC. It doesn't get better than that in this hobby.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I guess there is a little lull in the character. Is he just going to be a Deadpool buddy? Is he going to get worked into the X-Men movies? I think he was done well in Deadpool 2, but I don't think there was enough to have people screaming for a Cable movie. I have a couple of these I may get submitted. On the fence as they are probably 9.0 - 9.2 unless a press may help.

Yeah. With Stan Lee passed on. And now this comic is now worth more. How am I going to get $5,000 or a trade of something that is valuable of the price I am asking for?

@Convention dude94 Here are some threads to read through if it helps..... idk specifics, maybe I was wrong? :foryou: I think the CGC slab is satisfactory, no need to switch slabs when it concerns value....

Just now, Convention dude94 said:

Yeah. With Stan Lee passed on. And now this comic is now worth more. How am I going to get $5,000 or a trade of something that is valuable of the price I am asking for?

You aren't. Seems like the market for this book might be in the $300s, possibly $200s, Sorry. Stan Lee had virtually nothing to do with Cable or anything to do with the book, so that factors in. If Rob Liefield has an untimely death, maybe it jumps. He has only signed 1 billion SS books compared to Stan's 3 billion.

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

I know that X-men #12 got a spike due to the Deadpool 2 movie, I don't think NM #87 did. Could be that there are just so many available idk. I still think that a signed copy is pretty cool. I don't notice Cable on any of the modern covers..... that used to clue you in, but modern covers, you know? perhaps they just haven't done much with the cable character other than the movie? idk..

@Convention dude94 - I remember this book from another thread, and if memory serves you severely overpaid for it back then.  Maybe someone desperate for a Stan signature with an itchy mouse finger will give you $500 on eBay, solely because that would look like competitive pricing compared to what a number of other sellers are asking for on other SS copies of #87 signed by Stan. 

I've had some success selling Stan Lee signed books at a premium since his passing, so it can be done, but I wouldn't bank on it.

12 hours ago, Convention dude94 said:

Hello people of CGC. Just haven't made a post on this forum in a while.

I need help trying to price my “New mutants #87” signed by the late Stan Lee and Rob Liefeld at the current market value at a grade of 9.0 off white to white pages. You see I am trying to sell this signatured key issue from 1990 at the current market value by auctioning it off. And I can’t risk on spending like $38.63 and later getting ripped off if the item does not sell for 514.99. Because ebay can’t refund sellers of the item does not sell in the auction.  Which I find hypocritical.

I need help on finding a reserved price at market value and see if I can exceed that amount to a premium.

And if I am thinking about selling it for like $514.99. Give me an alternative to an auction site like ebay that offers selling a item at $514.99 at a cheap price.

Thank you.

If you're thinking about selling it for $514.99 why not think about selling it for triple that amount? You're not going to get either figure, so why not think big? 

You overpaid by a stupid amount, move on or set a realistic price. And why did you buy it in the first place, it's such a stupid purchase. Who wants a modern 9.0?

1 hour ago, Convention dude94 said:

Your statement that the "comic is now worth more" is not correct. It's worth more than it was valued at when you bought it. 

The problem is that you bought it for WAY more than it was worth at the time, so even Stan's death doesnt increase it's value enough to get you to break even. 

You made a bad purchase;  a 9.0 copper key widely available in the market in higher grade at lower prices. Sure it's signed, but so is a lot of other stuff, so its not unique, or rare. 

And the other stuff signed is more desired by the market (ie people would rather buy Stan Lee a signed Spiderman book a Stan Lee signed ___(fill in the blank with a modern character Stan didnt work on ever)___

The only way this book increases in value is if 

1) they make a Cable movie (not have Cable in a movie, but make a CABLE movie).  AND

2) You buy up all of the available higher grade copies of the book signed by stan as well as all of the other books signed by stan and then set them all on fire, creating scarcity. 

That will give you the two things you dont currently have 1)desire in the market and 2) market scarcity

otherwise, just give up on getting even money on this book. Throw it up on ebay with a $400 BIN and maybe you get super lucky with some insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I mean if lightning can strike once, why not twice?

Edited by miraclemet

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know that X-men #12 got a spike due to the Deadpool 2 movie, I don't think NM #87 did. Could be that there are just so many available idk. I still think that a signed copy is pretty cool. I don't notice Cable on any of the modern covers..... that used to clue you in, but modern covers, you know? perhaps they just haven't done much with the cable character other than the movie? idk..

NM 87 got a bump, but the world knew for a while he was going to make it into a movie, so by the time the movie was coming out I think it had already gone up. I am pretty sure i tried to sell a nice copy for $50 a few years back with no takers. NM 87 was not really a heavily printed book. X-Men 12 had a billion copies printed.

Edited by the blob

1 minute ago, the blob said:

NM 87 got a bump, but the world knew for a while he was going to make it into a movie, so by the time the movie was coming out I think it had already gone up. I am pretty sure i tried to sell a nice copy for $50 a few years back with no takers. NM 87 was not really a heavily printed book. X-Men 12 had a billion copies printed.

interesting would not have guessed that...

I'll have to look at the census numbers of X-men #12 first Juggernaut, would not have guessed that there were so many....

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

X-men #12 a about 1,650 graded and 14% SS'd :foryou: edit: New Mutants #87 = 7,976 graded still about 14% SS'd

That's not to say that Census numbers reflect total copies but anyway ......

2 hours ago, Convention dude94 said:

How am I going to get $5,000 or a trade of something that is valuable of the price I am asking for?

No idea.  But your question did remind me of something else. 

Last new years eve, I paid Greggy $14 to sneak into your bedroom and take an anal swab in the hopes of cloning you.

IT WORKED!!!

I thought you were referring to new x-men 12... I thought maybe that was first copycat. 1st juggie probably bounced because it had been relatively affordable and a 1st of a cool underrated character.

53 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

No idea.  But your question did remind me of something else. 

Last new years eve, I paid Greggy $14 to sneak into your bedroom and take an anal swab in the hopes of cloning you.

IT WORKED!!!

Screenshot 2019-01-17 at 2.56.23 PM.png