• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern #16 SCS

9 posts in this topic

Won this comic online - Green Lantern #16 CGC 7.0

When comic was received I discovered a piece of the bottom corner had broken off. It was not (according to the posted pics) detached before the comic was shipped. I assume the damage happened during shipping due to shaken comic syndrome as there is no damage to the case.

Based on the pics below, how big a drop in grade (if any) would you give the comic based on the detached corner?

20190114_184433.thumb.jpg.b97ce4d4991876cfadbcd8e4348744e5.jpg

20190114_184507.thumb.jpg.ceb61d82f5beea63aa298fbea99c2fe3.jpg

7 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

So still a 7.0 or do you think it would drop down to a 6.5? (shrug)

Trying to figure out if a "missing" piece is allowed in this grade.

I had something similar happen to me on a 7.5, small piece of the corner had come off . I contacted CGC, sent it back in. They decided the corner chip was still allowable in that grade. So, based on my experience, I think it will retain a 7.0 but you need to contact CGC. 

31 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I had something similar happen to me on a 7.5, small piece of the corner had come off . I contacted CGC, sent it back in. They decided the corner chip was still allowable in that grade. So, based on my experience, I think it will retain a 7.0 but you need to contact CGC. 

I agree. It’s very small.

I'm curious as to how this happened. I'm not sure but is this an example of the early version of the new slab design, without a true inner well ?  I don't see the corner slots that are usually present in the inner well. It looks like the book is pressed hard against the right edge. IN any case, contact CGC and get this reholdered, hopefully retaining the grade. OR, if you don't feel like dealing with all of this, get your money back, return it now. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm curious as to how this happened. I'm not sure but is this an example of the early version of the new slab design, without a true inner well ?  I don't see the corner slots that are usually present in the inner well. It looks like the book is pressed hard against the right edge. IN any case, contact CGC and get this reholdered, hopefully retaining the grade. OR, if you don't feel like dealing with all of this, get your money back, return it now. 

Already working hard on the second option.

As to how this happened, I suspect it was caused by poor packing technique. The slab was cocooned in bubble wrap horizontally but there was zero wrap (or protection of any kind) on either the top or bottom of the case. The slab (which I believe measures 13" in length) was then put in a FedEx medium sized box (13-1/4" in length) so the only protection of any kind against impact during transit was the thin cardboard of the FedEx carton.