• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

missing piece or color break?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Marvel 'chipping' as its been explained to me was caused by dull paper cutters during the triming of the comics in the production process. This photo does not look like that to me. It looks like it may be damage from tape, if all the color is pulled off the cover. Are there old peices of tape on that book? Amateur tape repairs can bring the grade of a comic 1 full point or more, depending on the extent. If what's shown in the photo is the only major damage, I'd say it would impact the grade between 0.5 and 1.0 point.

Edited by flashlites
Addition

29 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

It's a serious flaw and it does look like a tape pull. Tough to grade without seeing the rest of the book...looks like an FF #48, correct?

heres the full pic- it looks to me like there was another book on top of it and took off a piece - not tape. Theres no other tape on the book I'd guess its in the 3.0 range otherwise.

IMG_9966.JPG

2 hours ago, Ozonetv said:

heres the full pic- it looks to me like there was another book on top of it and took off a piece - not tape. Theres no other tape on the book I'd guess its in the 3.0 range otherwise.

IMG_9966.JPG

This is defintely a pull or peel of some sort. It does not have the appearance of tape as it's too jagged. It also does not look vintage, the exposed paper looks fresh, white. I've seen this look before. Any chance you tried to press this book or perhaps the previous owner pressed it ? By looking at the spine it looks flat, almost crushed. If there was any kind of surface residue, a press may have grabbed onto it and pulled off the paper. Sorry but this book looks bad. The tape pull is in your face.  

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is defintely a pull or peel of some sort. It does not have the appearance of tape as it's too jagged. It also does not look vintage, the exposed paper looks fresh, white. I've seen this look before. Any chance you tried to press this book or perhaps the previous owner pressed it ? By looking at the spine it looks flat, almost crushed. If there was any kind of surface residue, a press may have grabbed onto it and pulled off the paper. Sorry but this book looks bad. The tape pull is in your face.  

it was just cleaned and pressed, and there was some more paper that was in that area that was cleaned off (the code was all but invisible)...it must have been part of the book on top that took off the the paper on this book. 

16 minutes ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

so it's a tape pull or a book peel or a press rip........i wonder what the back looks like..... kind of hard to grade without seeing the back......i'm going with the press rip.............2.0

IMG_9975.JPG

2 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

IMG_9975.JPG

From the looks of that stain in the upper right, I wonder if your guy used a solvent to peel away the paper off of the code on the FC ? I can now see rusty staples with bleed, migration. Otherwise, the Back Cover is pretty clean. This is very difficult to grade. I would certainly not grade it higher than 3.0 .

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

From the looks of that stain in the upper right, I wonder if your guy used a solvent to peel away the paper off of the code on the FC ? I can now see rusty staples with bleed, migration. Otherwise, the Back Cover is pretty clean. This is very difficult to grade. I would certainly not grade it higher than 3.0 .

Hey Bob- appreciate the feedback.  I bought it uncleaned or pressed - the water stain was on the back already (as were stains on almost all the books he had from storing in his basement for many years). It was about $250, so I took a flier on it to see how it would clean up...thought it was worth the risk, knowing I wouldnt get a 9.8 out of it.

Heres a couple other books I picked up - note the back stains...consisent if nothing else. These havent been cleaned yet.

IMG_9952.JPG

IMG_9953.JPG

Edited by Ozonetv

3 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

Hey Bob- appreciate the feedback.  I bought it uncleaned or pressed - the water stain was on the back already (as were stains on almost all the books he had from storing in his basement for many years). It was about $250, so I took a flier on it to see how it would clean up...thought it was worth the risk, knowing I wouldnt get a 9.8 out of it.

Heres a couple other books I picked up - note the back stains...consisent if nothing else. These havent been cleaned yet.

IMG_9952.JPG

IMG_9953.JPG

Yes, it looks like they all got hit in the same area. These #49's should grade much higher than the #48. 

14 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, it looks like they all got hit in the same area. These #49's should grade much higher than the #48. 

Definitely- I picked up a FF52 as well...same grade as above. the 48 was the big risk...but I've heard that with big risks come big rewards. or something like that.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Edited by Ozonetv

34 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

Definitely- I picked up a FF52 as well...same grade as above. the 48 was the big risk...but I've heard that with big risks come big rewards. or something like that.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

The #52, a personal favorite, looks a little rougher than the 49's. More staining on the BC and a large corner crease, bottom right on the FC. I would say it is, grade wise, somewhere between the #48 and #49's.  How is the page quality on all these books ? Sometimes, when stored in a basement, the pages stay nicer as they like the humidity. Unfortunately, the staples do not like the humidity.