• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I have this pressed and clean before grading

9 posts in this topic

I’m goin to be sending this book  in to get graded and wondered if a press and clean would be helpful. It lays very flat19500C5D-BC22-4D80-9FBB-81D0CDD091E0.thumb.jpeg.9a587f8a9472b89f4a8a977c637b84ca.jpegsable 

B804F80E-A459-4AC2-8C60-5AF5E2673545.jpeg

Edited by B-rock
It didn’t make sense had to re word it

Just like grading, a proper evaluation of pressing potential needs to be done book in hand. 

That said, I think your book here is a marginal pressing candidate. I see some spine bends that a press could improve, and maybe a bend to the back cover on the left top. But I do not believe that the overall numeric grade of this book has much chance of improving from a press. You have long'ish color breaking creases on the right edge and bottom of the front cover. Significant wear and rounding of the bottom right corner.  Those are the major defects on the book and they won't be helped by a press. 

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

Big stain on the back.  You are going to get slammed on this down to a 6.5 probably.  I would not submit it.  I been there.

I agree, the stain on the BC is not good. CGC hammers stains. It's still a hot book that I think is worth submitting. Other than the stain, the Back cover looks pretty clean = I don't think it needs to be dry cleaned. You stated it is already flat, so I don't think a press will help much, if at all. 

On ‎2019‎/‎01‎/‎23 at 1:38 PM, Karl Liebl said:

Big stain on the back.  You are going to get slammed on this down to a 6.5 probably.  I would not submit it.  I been there.

it isn't a 6.5 without the stain.

12 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

If it comes off it is not a stain...

Stains that cost me full points:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_72f.jpg.efcd33f60bd8162d885e785b629ff67c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_72e.jpg.4ee6f0abfb0db82174bbf0818a5d4d07.jpg

I am just saying I am not certain the ASM 101 in this thread is a 6.5 even if you take the stain out of the evaluation. The reader creases on the right edge, the bottom right is very worn and creased, crease at top right corner combined all could take the book out of 6.5 range.

Whatever is on the back cover of the ASM 101 is a definite stain, it has soaked the surrounding paper with what looks to be an oily residue.

Edited by Artboy99