• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby Signature Real or No?

7 posts in this topic

His signature has a very recognizable "J" and that is exactly what it looks like. Notice the "y" at the end of the signature. How the first point is lower than the second. I would say that is pretty spot on.

The only thing I see that is strange is the "ack" portion of Jack. It might just be a signature from when he was older, otherwise it looks like most of the key features are there. 

I'm not an expert on this but it looks legit to me.

Image result for jack kirby signature

Edited by MadJimJaspers

3 hours ago, MadJimJaspers said:

His signature has a very recognizable "J" and that is exactly what it looks like. Notice the "y" at the end of the signature. How the first point is lower than the second. I would say that is pretty spot on.

The only thing I see that is strange is the "ack" portion of Jack. It might just be a signature from when he was older, otherwise it looks like most of the key features are there. 

I'm not an expert on this but it looks legit to me.

Thanks- I sent it into an authenticator and he felt it was forged.

His note read: "It does differ somewhat from known exemplars, and it also appears it was signed with pauses in the signature that allowed the ink to bleed a bit where it shouldn't."

2 hours ago, Ozonetv said:

Thanks- I sent it into an authenticator and he felt it was forged.

His note read: "It does differ somewhat from known exemplars, and it also appears it was signed with pauses in the signature that allowed the ink to bleed a bit where it shouldn't."

I noticed that too. Also it kind of looks like whoever signed it forgot how to write cursive will writing "Jack". You can see right after the A there was a pause before the C and the end of the K was done weird. Could still just be older signature. Send it in for verification. They'll consider other aspects like location and ink too.

Check out this thread. The signatures match yours so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Edited by MadJimJaspers

I'm no expert, but I gotta disagree with your authenticator. It looks legit to me. Like you surmised already, older when his hand was shakier, but the letter formations are still correct. 

The crooks on eBay who forge Kirby signatures have a difficult enough time trying to fake his clean sig - I don't think they're trying to add to the level of difficulty by faking his elderly shake. 

5 hours ago, eee91 said:

I'm no expert, but I gotta disagree with your authenticator. It looks legit to me. Like you surmised already, older when his hand was shakier, but the letter formations are still correct. 

The crooks on eBay who forge Kirby signatures have a difficult enough time trying to fake his clean sig - I don't think they're trying to add to the level of difficulty by faking his elderly shake. 

I hear you- and don’t disagree. I also think the space he was writing in affected the signature.

There was a secondary issue with the book itself- it was discovered to be missing a page, so that impacts credibility a bit too.

i was told by the seller, and the sellers seller that once they saw that splash page they kinda just blanked and the book became an afterthought so no one checked.

either way, we all decided to cancel the deal, everyone will get what they paid back.

though in the back of my mind I still want it...cause I can’t be sure. Maybe the original seller will submit it to cbcs and him and I can make a deal if it gets authenticated.