• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complete BATMAN (1940) collection + many others...questions

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Umm... not going into detail but my friend's husband just settled for $30,000 for illegally transmitting digital comics.  She is livid. The original claim was far greater but he settled for $30,000... 

Wow, I hadn't heard of anyone going after comic pirates so good to know. Can you tell us if if the husband was downloading comics from someone else, or were they actually distributing them to others? And are you able to tell us the publisher? 

3 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

Wow, I hadn't heard of anyone going after comic pirates so good to know. Can you tell us if if the husband was downloading comics from someone else, or were they actually distributing them to others? And are you able to tell us the publisher? 

Torrenting and not going any further than that. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Umm... not going into detail but my friend's husband just settled for $30,000 for illegally transmitting digital comics.  She is livid. The original claim was far greater but he settled for $30,000... 

I’m wondering if he was just scared into settling. I remember a friend getting a threat from a lawyer for downloading Hurt Locker. He happened to be a lawyer himself and worked at the ACLU. He did a little searching and found out that a ton of people who downloaded that same exact movie got that same exact letter so he ignored it and figured if he had to go to court he would. They never pursued it with him or anyone else as far as he could tell, but some people did get scared and pay up

4 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I’m wondering if he was just scared into settling. I remember a friend getting a threat from a lawyer for downloading Hurt Locker. He happened to be a lawyer himself and worked at the ACLU. He did a little searching and found out that a ton of people who downloaded that same exact movie got that same exact letter so he ignored it and figured if he had to go to court he would. They never pursued it with him or anyone else as far as he could tell, but some people did get scared and pay up

That I cannot answer. I can ask though. Let's see what she says. 

Just asked... texted with lawyer was able to negotiate it down to $14,000.  I got my numbers wrong. However I did scroll back in the conversation and she did mention $30,000 down from $45,000.

Eventual payout was $14,000. 

What if you were to get them bound in their own book?   Would that loophole it?

I think that either way it is pretty neat to have nice reading copies of classic comics, especially the issues that don't see reprinting because they are not key books nor important to the canon.

The discussion makes me wonder: what's the valuation for Batman as an intellectual property? It must be enormous. Would it surpass Superman in value? Batman has much greater cultural cache at this point.

Sorry for the wayward question, OP. Interesting find. Would be a fun read if nothing else.

8 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

The discussion makes me wonder: what's the valuation for Batman as an intellectual property? It must be enormous. Would it surpass Superman in value? Batman has much greater cultural cache at this point.

Sorry for the wayward question, OP. Interesting find. Would be a fun read if nothing else.

Well I dont know about a full IP valuation but WB reported licensing revenues for the two superheroes in 2014. Batman was at $500m, Superman at $250m. 

Granted thats just revenue from licensing.