• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this be considered restored?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Batman 189 that I just picked up. Has some tape on the inside cover and blue pen/marker on the front cover. The tape is holding the tear together and the blue filled in the tear as well. 

20190119_163106.jpg

20190119_163050.jpg

34 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

If you did get it on ebay I would try to return it too. Was anything mentioned about tape in the description? Do you have a link?

12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

What's the deal with the giant fingerprint ??? I know I'm only looking at a small section of the comic, but I would suggest returning this book and getting your money back. Sorry. 

I did buy this on eBay and the tape and ink on cover was noted on the listing. Other than those issues it's a nice book and was priced good imo

s-l1600.jpg

On 1/19/2019 at 7:32 PM, The Lions Den said:

The tape isn't considered resto, but the color touch would likely be classified as "slight amateur." :sorry:

When I went through My collection upon Inheriting it...

95% of the collection was without restoration.

but I did find issues with restoration, and Every single issue had the exact same type, almost exactly similar to the picture in the OPs thread.

They all had slight amateur color touch with markers...most were 2 or 3 tiny spots on the cover, usually on spine covering tiny color breaks...

My grandfather accumulated his entire collection over a 6 months period of time in the 1980's where bought Collections from Many different people.

I'm convinced, All the comics that I found in my collection that have this restoration, came from a single person whom My grandfather purchased their collection...I'm betting it was either an experienced comic collector who purposely restored them to try to make them look better or I bet it was someone who didnt even know they were hurting the value of the books and just did it to try to make them look better.

either way, before joining this board....I used to think that Kind of restoration was a death sentence....I figured the books literally had no value anymore...

Happy to now know they arent completely valueless...

On 1/20/2019 at 11:19 AM, Barth said:

I did buy this on eBay and the tape and ink on cover was noted on the listing. Other than those issues it's a nice book and was priced good imo

s-l1600.jpg

I also have one more question for experienced collectors...

in this case, who it be better just to tear off where the restoration is...It would probably be about a 3/4 to 1 inch spot missing from the cover...

but The comic would then no longer be Restored....

basically would the comic be more valuable as is restored...Or would it be more valuable as NOT restored but missing a small piece of the cover

thanks

8 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

When I went through My collection upon Inheriting it...

95% of the collection was without restoration.

but I did find issues with restoration, and Every single issue had the exact same type, almost exactly similar to the picture in the OPs thread.

They all had slight amateur color touch with markers...most were 2 or 3 tiny spots on the cover, usually on spine covering tiny color breaks...

My grandfather accumulated his entire collection over a 6 months period of time in the 1980's where bought Collections from Many different people.

I'm convinced, All the comics that I found in my collection that have this restoration, came from a single person whom My grandfather purchased their collection...I'm betting it was either an experienced comic collector who purposely restored them to try to make them look better or I bet it was someone who didnt even know they were hurting the value of the books and just did it to try to make them look better.

either way, before joining this board....I used to think that Kind of restoration was a death sentence....I figured the books literally had no value anymore...

Happy to now know they arent completely valueless...

It sounds like the true value of these books is because were from your grandfather's collection. It's nice to know that some items can still be enjoyed by future generations... 

8 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

I also have one more question for experienced collectors...

in this case, who it be better just to tear off where the restoration is...It would probably be about a 3/4 to 1 inch spot missing from the cover...

but The comic would then no longer be Restored....

basically would the comic be more valuable as is restored...Or would it be more valuable as NOT restored but missing a small piece of the cover

thanks

I would never suggest to someone to tear off part of the front cover, but I'd personally rather have a book with a small piece missing over one with color touch and tape...

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:45 AM, faster friends said:

I don’t know that they would consider this resto as it does not improve the appearance of the book.

Clearly a restoration attempt. And although it failed miserably, technically, there's nothing else to call it. Quite often, shoddy, amateur restoration attempts do little to improve condition, in fact, the book is often worsened by the failed effort. However, it's still restoration. There's really nothing else to call it. It's a color touch attempt. Though miserably done. CGC can't split hairs. Assess one type of restoration "not restoration" if they don't think it was successful in improving the overall grade, and call it "restoration" if it helped the grade. I can't imagine them trying to establish a criteria for that!  Color touch attempt, successful or unsuccessful? It's a purple label either way..

Edited by James J Johnson