• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should sellers leave prices up on sold books?
3 3

114 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

This.  

And I forget to add, whom the book is sold too via a PM sale should remain private, but it seems many sellers like to broadcast that info, as if it somehow shames the buyer into following through, or somehow adds some legitimacy to the idea that the book was actually sold.

11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

My anecdotal  experience is exactly the opposite. There may be many underlying  reasons for that, that varies from seller to seller.

My anecdote disproves your anecdote. So there! 

25 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

If I use myself as an example, most books sell via PM for much less than the posted asking price. 

I can’t wait for your next sales thread. :baiting:

52 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

And I forget to add, whom the book is sold too via a PM sale should remain private, but it seems many sellers like to broadcast that info, as if it somehow shames the buyer into following through, or somehow adds some legitimacy to the idea that the book was actually sold.

Agree again, although I’ve never seen a PM buyer outed.  

Whenever I’ve bought via PM, the sellers ive dealt with have always been respectful of my privacy.

Does anyone actually benefit from editing the price out?  I'm trying to see it from the selling side, and coming up with nothing.  Even if the book sells by PM, it's still helpful to know what the asking price was.

Haven't seen one in a while, but I'm picturing sales threads started in the middle of a work day called "quick sale" or something, with just one book that sells within minutes.  By the time you see it, the sales is done, and the price is gone.  That's the only time I really wish the price was posted.

OK lets say we make it mandatory that you have to leave the asking price and selling price up. How do we know that what we see is really true? Since in can freely be edited by the seller they can manipulate the #s however they wish and will that be of help? Are you going to ask for their PayPal statement? These are private sales, not auctions. Some sellers may offer a book for less to someone because they are a close board buddy. And that's their right. You make that public and you have a whole bunch of upset people.

21 hours ago, mackenzie999 said:

Although I monitor the forums pretty regularly, I often see books I am interested in too late. To be honest, I am way more of a tourist than a buyer but I am always really curious what the asking prices are. I also understand, I think, the practice of editing out prices on a sales thread once a book has been sold; I guess it’s a form of privacy, although the price had obviously been public up until that time. This isn’t a complaint, I get that this is perhaps out of consideration for the buyer, I’m just curious how others feel about this.

Yes ……………….. please. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

10 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
2 hours ago, Park said:

I can’t wait for your next sales thread. :baiting:

First t in the thread wins. 

Capital T count?

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

OK lets say we make it mandatory that you have to leave the asking price and selling price up. How do we know that what we see is really true? Since in can freely be edited by the seller they can manipulate the #s however they wish and will that be of help? Are you going to ask for their PayPal statement? These are private sales, not auctions. Some sellers may offer a book for less to someone because they are a close board buddy. And that's their right. You make that public and you have a whole bunch of upset people.

It someone's strategy is to manipulate numbers to their favor, well, world's full of great folks like that and I have no doubt they sleep well at night getting over on that copy of Avengers 185 or whatever. As for selling to a friend, just say so: "Sold it to a friend, price between us."

Edited by NoMan

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Sometimes... just sometimes... if you are nice... and PM the seller... they will tell you. 

I don’t doubt that for a second. Those guys are working though, and they don’t need me bugging them all the time.

I never meant to suggest more rules, I think what’s in place is fine, and I’m sure there are plenty of instances where hiding it is a very good idea. I was just curious if others felt the same, and any dealers looking in are obviously free to use or ignore this insignificantly small sample size of opinion.

Edited by mackenzie999

Honest question:

If you, as a buyer, spotted a book you wanted but knew for a fact that the seller was not in the practice of editing out his prices would you pass on buying the book?

I’ve never been particularly diligent about editing out prices on my sales threads, but if some feel so strongly about that it would cost me a sale I may have to take it more seriously. 

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Honest question:

If you, as a buyer, spotted a book you wanted but knew for a fact that the seller was not in the practice of editing out his prices would you pass on buying the book?

I’ve never been particularly diligent about editing out prices on my sales threads, but if some feel so strongly about that it would cost me a sale I may have to take it more seriously. 

It has bothered me when seller deleted price when I was interested in the book (and wanted to know the original ask price). My answer to OP is "yes."

But I don't keep track of which sellers delete it, and even if I did remembered that seller is a deleter I wouldn't care if I wanted a book he was selling and 'trusted' the seller from past experience.

EDIT: or in your case, I would never like a seller more because it's his practice to delete the price after book sold.

Edited by grebal
got it backwards

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

It someone's strategy is to manipulate numbers to their favor, well, world's full of great folks like that and I have no doubt they sleep well at night getting over on that copy of Avengers 185 or whatever. As for selling to a friend, just say so: "Sold it to a friend, price between us."

Problem solved. All sellers delete prices and say they sold it to a friend.  :)  

In return for the privilege of selling on these boards, I think it should be a rule that sellers should state and publish the final sale price.  Such info could be a resource for the community in a similar way to GPA or auction site sales data. Sellers - or volunteers - could record the sale data (book, seller, buyer, price) in a separate thread so that such data could be more easily found.

I have seen opinions on these boards that data from sales here don’t belong on a site like GPA, and thus, don’t belong in the realm of public knowledge.  I disagree with this.  A sale is a sale whether you are selling to a friend, priced a book inaccurately, or took a low offer because you are desperate for cash.

In fact, I think all CGC sales here should be reported to GPA, given as how support for that platform seems overwhelmingly positive, and how we seem to often shame sites like ComicLink that don’t report data to them.

In the case of a trade, seller should state that a book was traded.  If a seller wanted to obscure the sale price, he/she could simply say it was traded, or that it was withdrawn from sale.  Such workarounds should also be prohibited, however as it’s impossible to enforce we’d have to rely on the honor system.

Edited by Heronext