• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should sellers leave prices up on sold books?
3 3

114 posts in this topic

I used to delete the prices and insert "SOLD!", but I only did it because that seemed to be what everyone else did, so I thought it was just a board "thing". Of course, the $1-$10 books I'm selling aren't of great historical significance, but going forward I'd leave the prices on.

12 hours ago, blazingbob said:

I don't sell on the boards,  problem solved.

That's fairly rude.

9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That's fairly rude.

And makes no sense.

Not sure how personally not selling on the boards fixes the problem of other people not leaving prices up.

Bob's taken up day drinkin again.

Edited by october

I've done it both ways (easy, Liz) ... Lately, I've left the price up in the original post after it sells just so others can see what the initial list price was. The buyer will often quote the entire original post which includes that price, so it's there as well (I don't think that can be edited, can it?). I think I'll just leave it there for future threads so others can see what the starting point was ...

19 minutes ago, october said:

And makes no sense.

Not sure how personally not selling on the boards fixes the problem of other people not leaving prices up.

I shouldn't  answer for Bob lest he bring his wrath and bowling ball down upon my noggin, but I THINK he meant problem solved for HIM.

I always leave prices up since I like to be able to see what books sold for myself. I never understood the rationale of deleting the price after a sale. However, it’s a non-issue. The last thing we need is yet another rule for selling.

52 minutes ago, drbanner said:

I delete the sales prices from my listings to drive people crazy, or nuts. :insane:

hm

1 hour ago, october said:

And makes no sense.

Why is not leaving the prices up a problem in the first place?

Or does it have to do with people having to know what everything sells for?

If as a seller you've experienced a buyer quoting what you paid for something and then telling you how much you are "entitled" to make I find deleting sale prices necessary.  

3 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Why is not leaving the prices up a problem in the first place?

Or does it have to do with people having to know what everything sells for?

If as a seller you've experienced a buyer quoting what you paid for something and then telling you how much you are "entitled" to make I find deleting sale prices necessary.  

I don't know that I would call it a problem, but it's certainly annoying to a lot of people. It's part of a transparent marketplace. Would it annoy you if the Heritage sales archive went away? What about eBay completed listings? Not sure why more price data is a bad thing. 

As for entitled buyers, I've run into this before. I just ignore it, or tell the buyer that the book was underpriced when I bought it. They can buy at my number or not. (shrug)

15 minutes ago, october said:

I don't know that I would call it a problem, but it's certainly annoying to a lot of people. It's part of a transparent marketplace. Would it annoy you if the Heritage sales archive went away? What about eBay completed listings? Not sure why more price data is a bad thing. 

As for entitled buyers, I've run into this before. I just ignore it, or tell the buyer that the book was underpriced when I bought it. They can buy at my number or not. (shrug)

Heritage and Ebay sales are captured in GPA so if they went away are you really impacted?

9 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

As a seller shouldn't you learn what to price books at?  There are guides,  assuming you have a database past sales.  

Can I subscribe to the October archived sales database for when I need some pricing info?

Not talking about a Hulk 181 here. I know you deal in silver and bronze exclusively, but with golden age there are many desirable books that only change hands every few years. Every data point is meaningful. PM me for more info on this corner of the market you seem to be unaware of. 

I do maintain an archive! Send me a separate PM for subscription fees. 

I'm not exactly sure what is expected from a FREE selling site.

No FEES,  No Seller fees,  NO Buyer fees. No picture hosting fees,  no Fee to use CGC servers to Sell your books for FREE.

Self policed bad buyer threads,  Kudo's for feedback.

Some mutually accepted seller rules so that FREE sellers have a general understanding of what is expected.

Now there are those complaining that the FREE sellers should keep up the data so that there is a FREE place to gather some pricing information.

Edited by blazingbob