• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should sellers leave prices up on sold books?
3 3

114 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I'm not exactly sure what is expected from a FREE selling site.

No FEES,  No Seller fees,  NO Buyer fees. No picture hosting fees,  no Fee to use CGC servers to Sell your books for FREE.

Self policed bad buyer threads,  Kudo's for feedback.

Some mutually accepted seller rules so that FREE sellers have a general understanding of what is expected.

Now there are those complaining that the FREE sellers should keep up the data so that there is a FREE place to gather some pricing information.

I thought you didn't sell here? Problem solved. :grin:

Edited by october

9 minutes ago, adampasz said:

For low-volume books, especially rare Golden Age stuff, I've found it informative to see the sold item prices here.

That's exactly it,  personally I don't care at all about the prices on SA/Moderns and bronze, there is plenty of data out there. However, I collect mostly GA and that data is hard to find. 

However, I would keep all prices up (unless it's sold by PM) just on principle. 

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I respect you very much, Bob, but I see two different viewpoints.. You see  the marketplace from a business standpoint, thus the "price points" are treasured data that you want to keep for an edge? 

I still see it as a community trading area, where mostly collectors, not dealers (not that there is anything wrong with it;) sell. 

Lately, there has been more buying on the board and selling the same books on the board than I've ever seen before, sometimes it seems days later. If I were those sellers, I would not want ANYONE to leave the prices up and I sure wouldn't do it myself...but since I'm not one of those sellers and I more often than not, look as a buyer, I'd like to get a clue. Plus to be perfectly honest, I'm curious about what some of the books I own might be worth (and I do have GPA etc).

Maybe I'm naive to think we'd all share information here. Comic books have gotten very expensive and I suppose there are more and more pt dealers than ever. 

In any case, I'm going to leave my prices up. I even leave the prices up before and after I lower them.

I see a Free selling platform that customers can sell raw or CGC books on.

Except for a few selling guidelines it is up to the particular seller whether they want to share or not.  They shouldn't have to be told to do anything.  I as the buyer of that item can request that the seller remove the price or not have it stated what it sold for if they choose to leave the item up.  

If you the buyer are paying to get into that platform then by all means you can feel "entitled" to ask that sellers keep that information up or have the ability to extract it somehow.

Edited by blazingbob

11 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Except for a few selling guidelines it is up to the particular seller whether they want to share or not.  They shouldn't have to be told to do anything.

If you the buyer are paying to get into that platform then by all means you can feel "entitled" to ask that sellers keep that information up or have the ability to extract it somehow.

No one is telling anyone anything, Bob. The original question was asking if it annoyed people and a lot of us said yes and explained why. That's it.

5 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

To be fair the title of the thread is.... Should sellers leave prices up on sold books?  OP asks for opinion afterwards but title is what really says it all.

Maybe. 

For me it's a "nice to have". As much as I like sellers leaving prices up, like someone else said the selling forum doesn't need any more rules. 

Maybe this thread will convince a few more people to leave prices visible. 

Edited by october

22 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Except for a few selling guidelines it is up to the particular seller whether they want to share or not.  They shouldn't have to be told to do anything.  I as the buyer of that item can request that the seller remove the price or not have it stated what it sold for if they choose to leave the item up.  

If you read what I wrote a few pages ago, I agree that there should not be a specific rule. I'm just saying WHY I'd like to see prices.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

No FEES,  No Seller fees,  NO Buyer fees. No picture hosting fees,  no Fee to use CGC servers to Sell your books for FREE.

Some mutually accepted seller rules so that FREE sellers have a general understanding of what is expected.

Now there are those complaining that the FREE sellers should keep up the data so that there is a FREE place to gather some pricing information.

Sounds interesting, how much does it cost? (shrug)

10 minutes ago, drbanner said:
1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Sounds interesting, how much does it cost? (shrug)

It sounds like the true cost is all the frustration and irritation about the freeness of it all.....,  :banana:

On 1/22/2019 at 5:04 PM, blazingbob said:

I don't sell on the boards,  problem solved.

And that, from my viewpoint as an international customer, is a loss.
It happened several times that I saw a copy of a book that could interest me on your site, but while there you’d have to check for other possible stuff to optimize shipping costs, with a reasonably large sales thread here you’d allow foreign customers to put together a number of books. I understand it’s a lack of mine, but those with unorganized checklists benefit from large sales threads and cover scans.

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

And that, from my viewpoint as an international customer, is a loss.
It happened several times that I saw a copy of a book that could interest me on your site, but while there you’d have to check for other possible stuff to optimize shipping costs, with a reasonably large sales thread here you’d allow foreign customers to put together a number of books. I understand it’s a lack of mine, but those with unorganized checklists benefit from large sales threads and cover scans.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your point of how Bob is “loosing” you as a customer by not selling here on the boards. 

His cost for international shipping would likely be the same here as it is on his site as would be his inventory. 

Why can’t you “put together a number of books” by ordering on his site?

I would think that finding the thread with an old sold book is more the chore. (I hate trying to find stuff that I saw once or even a day ago.) I still don't see why people cannot log it when they see it. I understand if you are visiting the thread for the first time that it may be annoying to not know what something sold for but a PM should solve that in most cases. We are comic collectors, keeping lists used to be part of the game but maybe that has gone away with computers. I have a note in the notes app on my phone with all sorts of info, I just talk it in when I see it here.

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

I would think that finding the thread with an old sold book is more the chore. (I hate trying to find stuff that I saw once or even a day ago.) I still don't see why people cannot log it when they see it. I understand if you are visiting the thread for the first time that it may be annoying to not know what something sold for but a PM should solve that in most cases. We are comic collectors, keeping lists used to be part of the game but maybe that has gone away with computers. I have a note in the notes app on my phone with all sorts of info, I just talk it in when I see it here.

I've taken the Norco and am slightly blurry at the moment. I log in here less and less and less and sometimes don't see a sold listing until days/weeks after it happened and than wonder what it sold for. I'm not here everyday making notes about what an asking price is - if that is your point. Sorry if it's not.

well, according to your posting history you do seem to be here everyday like most of us hm  

Edited by Bird
for the record I keep my sold prices up, how else can you resolve issues that may arise?

13 minutes ago, Bird said:

well, according to your posting history you do seem to be here everyday like most of us hm  

you're probably quite right about the amounts of my visitations here. Lost of downtime at work. Lots. Perhaps a better choice of words would have be I'm here with far less enthusiasm than I used too.  

Congrats of keeping your prices up for those of us interested in such things. 

Edited by NoMan