• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should sellers leave prices up on sold books?
3 3

114 posts in this topic

Although I monitor the forums pretty regularly, I often see books I am interested in too late. To be honest, I am way more of a tourist than a buyer but I am always really curious what the asking prices are. I also understand, I think, the practice of editing out prices on a sales thread once a book has been sold; I guess it’s a form of privacy, although the price had obviously been public up until that time. This isn’t a complaint, I get that this is perhaps out of consideration for the buyer, I’m just curious how others feel about this.

18 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

It bothers me when they do that, too. But it’s their thread. Jerks, I just wanna know what I can’t afford! :sumo:

I like salting my own wounds. "Oh dang, I missed out on that FF5. Wait a minute, it sold for HOW LITTLE?" @#$%#&!"

sometimes you can see what the price was in the "quote ill take it" from the buyer. but if it was a PM then i guess we can't see it.

There was one time that i was looking at buying a book at a LCS and remembered there was one for sell on the boards,(i couldn't find any sales data as i was wanting to resale the book), but the price was edited out so i PM the seller and asked ONLY for the price he sold it for and he did, he was very nice and understanding.

14 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Many (or most) books posted on the boards sell for much less than the posted asking price via PM. The original ask price is somewhat irrelevant. 

I seriously doubt "most".  More like some.  

There is prejudice around here about PM sales - it is not all about beating someone down in price, but often about protecting the knowledge of where the book is going to its new home.

i think it should be seller's prerogative on whether to leave the price up after sales. I do, but others don't.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

There is prejudice around here about PM sales - it is not all about beating someone down in price, but often about protecting the knowledge of where the book is going to its new home.

i think it should be seller's prerogative on whether to leave the price up after sales. I do, but others don't.

If I use myself as an example, most books sell via PM for much less than the posted asking price. 

33 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

If I use myself as an example, most books sell via PM for much less than the posted asking price. 

My anecdotal  experience is exactly the opposite. There may be many underlying  reasons for that, that varies from seller to seller.

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

This.