• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Announcement re: George Perez Retirement & 2019 convention appearances

46 posts in this topic

HI, all:

Spencer Beck, who is George Perez's art rep, has asked me to post this message on the CGC boards on behalf of George. 

DATE : JANUARY 19, 2019

To all my loyal and kind fans who have supported me throughout the decades,

In recent months, there has been a great deal of speculation as to the future of my career, my health, my ability to draw and my future convention appearances. As a result, I would like to clear up everything first hand so that, hopefully, any rumors, speculation and misinformation can be laid to rest.

With respect to future published work in comics and such ... while I know it’s been no secret that I’ve been dealing with a myriad number of health issues (diabetes, heart ailments, vision issues, etc.), they have indeed have forced me to, for all intents and purposes, formally retire from the business of creating new comic stories. 

As for home commission requests, I’m afraid that my retirement must now extend to privately commissioned drawings as well. While I am gratified that all of the customers who have received their pieces were more than pleased with the results, some even consequently commissioning more of them, it’s just becoming too much of a strain on my eyes to produce the fully rendered ink and pencil-tone pieces on a quality level that justifies the price I’m being paid for them.

In regards to convention sketches, I will need to cut back on those as well. While I will no longer sketch at the conventions themselves, I will, through my art agent Spencer Beck of The Artists Choice, be taking orders for 5 ( FIVE ) con-style head sketches, per convention day that I am in attendance which will be done at home to be collected at the conventions. Fans placing orders must be personally present to pick up the piece , NO PROXIES. The price for these will be a good deal pricier than in the past, going for $100 each, but please take some solace that all the monies I earn for these sketches, as well as my appearance fees, will be donated to various charities. To place an order, or for initial details, please contact Spencer / The Artist's Choice directly at Spencerbck@aol.com.  Any changes or further announcements will be made by Spencer and myself on his website http://www.theartistschoice.com/perez.htm  and on my fan website  https://sites.google.com/a/comicbookseries.info/gpz/

Furthermore, for those that are interested … although I will only be attending about six conventions this year and one make up convention in 2020  ( *** see below for complete schedule )  2019 will more than likely be my last year touring this great land meeting so many great fans. As the next decade begins, I have two shows, Dragon Con and Fetish Con that have personal meaning to me which I intend to attend yearly unless circumstances prevent it … but, for all intents, 2019 will wind down that part of my career as well. The good news is, even though I will not be sketching at the shows, I will still be autographing and be available for photo ops, and, as has been my policy throughout my career, I will not be charging for either. 

In closing, please don’t feel sorry for me about all these life and career changes. Thankfully I earn more than enough income through royalties to have a comfortable life wherein I may never need to work again. Unless, of course, something really tempting comes along and I’m given sufficient lead time. Hey, you never know.

Long story short, I will be just fine. I’ve had a wonderfully good run doing exactly what I have wanted to do since I was a child. Now I can sit back and watch the stuff I helped create entertain whole new generations. That’s a pretty nice legacy to look back on.

And so much of that is thanks to all of you, the GREATEST fans in the world. I am humbled and forever grateful.

Wishing you all a safe, happy and healthy 2019 and beyond,

2019  CONVENTION  SCHEDULE

AMAZING COMIC CON ALOHA  FEBRUARY 22 to 24, 2019  -  www.amazingcomicconaloha.com

C2E2  -   MARCH 22 to 24, 2019  -  [www.c2e2.com]www.c2e2.com

EAST COAST COMIC CON  -  MAY 17 to 19, 2019  -  www.eastcoastcomicon.com

NIAGARA FALLS COMICS CON  -  JUNE  7 to 9, 2019  -  niagarafallscomiccon.com

TERRIFICON  -  AUGUST 9 to 11, 2019  -  www.terrificon.com  ( FRIDAY ONLY )

FETISH  CON  -  AUGUST 9 to 11, 2019  -  http://fetishcon.com  ( SATURDAY & SUNDAY ONLY )

DRAGON  CON  -  AUGUST 29 to SEPTEMBER 2, 2019   -  www.dragoncon.org

early 80's, maybe even late 70's, at some con or other in NY, got a huge Iron Man vs Jack of Hearts sketch from him for (wait for it...) $3.  my friend bought an Avengers cover for $25.  I'll echo Shadow; he along with Miller, were the key artists of my youth. 

3 minutes ago, paperheart said:

early 80's, maybe even late 70's, at some con or other in NY, got a huge Iron Man vs Jack of Hearts sketch from him for (wait for it...) $3.  my friend bought an Avengers cover for $25.  I'll echo Shadow; he along with Miller, were the key artists of my youth. 

well, when DC was desperate they poached George Perez, Frank Miller, and John Byrne from Marvel at once. That alone showed who were the big guys at Marvel.

14 hours ago, Bird said:

well, when DC was desperate they poached George Perez, Frank Miller, and John Byrne from Marvel at once. That alone showed who were the big guys at Marvel.

Didn't Perez leave before Miller who I think went before Byrne. It was over the course of a few years. With that said, Perez was up there in the 80s.

I met George while he was a student. He'd designed a gorgeous bag for Mike's Comic But, in Queens. It was the first custom comic bag I ever encountered.

He also did the first sketch I ever had done at a convention-Adam Warlock after he didn't know Aragorn or Gandalf. I still have the sketch. He was charging $2 for head sketches.

One of my favorite artists who managed to work on the biggest books.

Phenomenal career. I hope he can enjoy his retirement.

I hate to hear this news. I've met George twice and he is one of the kindest most gracious people I have met in the industry. When he was at Bedrock City last year people came from as far away as Illinois and Missouri to meet him. 

Ugh.  Hate to hear that.  First time I met him was at MegaCon in the '90s back when it was truly for comic book fans.  He wasn't doing sketches, but when I asked him to sign my sketchbook anyway, he worked a sketch into his signature.  Truly a classy guy.  I wish him the best.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, Bird said:

Hey, Bird...think your timeline is off by a few years for each artists’ move to DC.  I recall Perez was first, then Miller, and Byrne a few years after Miller 

On 1/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, the blob said:

Didn't Perez leave before Miller who I think went before Byrne. It was over the course of a few years. With that said, Perez was up there in the 80s.

I recall it happening pretty close together but the books came out at different speeds. I do recall talking with friends about how DC got Marvels 3 best artists.

Man of Steel and DKR both came out in 1986. Perez was on WW in 1987. Those are the 3 books I recall this happening with. Perez worked on NTT earlier but I was unaware of that so maybe the other two came later.

Easily one of my greatest con memories is watching George enjoy Dragon*con five years back (if youve been to Dragoncon you know the toughest job there is tryinging to convince George to go to his table and stay at his table). I loved watching him have so much fun in a world he helped create.