• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Announcement re: George Perez Retirement & 2019 convention appearances

46 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Man of Steel and DKR both came out in 1986. Perez was on WW in 1987. Those are the 3 books I recall this happening with. Perez worked on NTT earlier but I was unaware of that so maybe the other two came later.

Miller —> Ronin came out before DKR. 1983 vs 1986

Byrne —> Man of Steel 1986

Perez —> Justice League AND NTT 1980

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hey, Bird...think your timeline is off by a few years for each artists’ move to DC.  I recall Perez was first, then Miller, and Byrne a few years after Miller 

Yes, each multiple years apart. Not even close to all at once.

Perez was working for DC before anybody really even cared about Miller.

:sumo:

Cannot argue with facts. I do recall there being buzz about the reboot of Superman and Wonder Woman together with the DKR release though.

Edited by Bird

55 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Does anyone know if he sells prints of his work? 

Yes, Spencer Beck sells signed prints for George.  He has two gorgeous Wonder Woman prints, a New Teen Titans print, and a killer Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet print, and possibly more. 

Suggest you reach out to his art rep, Spencer Beck: spencerbck at aol dot com

17 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Easily one of my greatest con memories is watching George enjoy Dragon*con five years back (if youve been to Dragoncon you know the toughest job there is tryinging to convince George to go to his table and stay at his table). I loved watching him have so much fun in a world he helped create. 

I've had a chance to chat George up at DragonCon on several occasions, and you're right, it's hard to keep him at the table when he's taking pics of/with cosplayers! He really is a delightful guy.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I've had a chance to chat George up at DragonCon on several occasions, and you're right, it's hard to keep him at the table when he's taking pics of/with cosplayers! He really is a delightful guy.

i was waiting at his table at his start time and he walked up maybe 10 minutes late (virtually being dragged by his handler) he turned to me and appologized for being late and exclaimed "but have you SEEN the costumes out there!?!?!?"

i love that guy...

Edited by miraclemet

23 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes, Spencer Beck sells signed prints for George.  He has two gorgeous Wonder Woman prints, a New Teen Titans print, and a killer Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet print, and possibly more. 

Suggest you reach out to his art rep, Spencer Beck: spencerbck at aol dot com

NTT or Thanos... intriguing! 

His lines were always one of the longest at whatever Con he was at which shows the admiration comic fans had for him. You would get a ticket so you could leave the line and come back later. I met him once and got a few books signed but I just came away a bigger fan seeing how much he loved meeting/interacting with fans. I wish him the best in his retirement. A true class act.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:10 PM, shadroch said:

I met George while he was a student. He'd designed a gorgeous bag for Mike's Comic But, in Queens. It was the first custom comic bag I ever encountered.

The Hut at the End of the Universe!

Was anyone able to get one of his 15 sketch commissions for East Coast?

Edited by dkuther
Added a question

On 1/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Perez —> Justice League AND NTT 1980

Don't forget Flash. Remember when artists used to be so popular, their first work for a company carried a premium?

Flash #289, Perez' first DC work, used to be (substantially) more valuable than surrounding issues. There's still residual demand from us oldies, but they're mostly ignored now.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:00 PM, letsgrumble said:

George Perez has always been one of my favourites.

He was just starting his run on the Avengers when I was really getting into comics as a kid.

He's signed so many books for me over the years. It was usually pay-what-you-can, all proceeds go to charity. Such a class act.

When at the Niagara Falls Comic Con in 2013, I picked up his Art of George Perez book and asked him if he could sketch Ant-Man from the cover of Avengers #161 in it. 

He said he could do it in his sleep.

1826418562_20130609191.thumb.JPG.d015e9087ad7bf74b7d7c4002d7aa1e8.JPG

GP is a master! probably has forgotten more about art then most artists will ever know! look @ that sketch! 

Best Wishes to George, however I'm sad :( he won't be making a last appearance at Heroes Con in Charlotte.  He used to be there every year and I have several New Teen Titans signed by him; bottom margin of the first page.  No signing fees, (it was early/mid 1980s) and I still have them all.  New Teen Titans - when Marvel Zombies were everywhere, he and Marv put DC back on the board.

Edited by boatfund

On 1/21/2019 at 1:54 PM, Bird said:

Man of Steel and DKR both came out in 1986. Perez was on WW in 1987. Those are the 3 books I recall this happening with. Perez worked on NTT earlier but I was unaware of that so maybe the other two came later.

Miller went first and did Ronin. Then Perez went to DC and drew Crisis on Infinite Earth's - that was in early 85. Man of Steel didn't come until after Crisis so Byrne was last. But Miller was never really on one side or the other. For instance he wrote 7 issues of Daredevil in 1986 ("Born Again") as well as the The Dark Knight Returns for DC.

1 hour ago, Kramerica said:
On 1/21/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bird said:

Miller went first and did Ronin. Then Perez went to DC and drew Crisis on Infinite Earth's - that was in early 85. Man of Steel didn't come until after Crisis so Byrne was last. But Miller was never really on one side or the other. For instance he wrote 7 issues of Daredevil in 1986 ("Born Again") as well as the The Dark Knight Returns for DC.

How could you possibly write something so incorrect while quoting a post that mentions New Teen Titans?

???

:facepalm:

lol