• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover proofs
1 1

6 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

I have a couple Ditko acetates with the text as separate acetates. I’m thinking these were from reprint anthology or Masterworks? Kinda cool

Also have a 4 color sep of a Wrightson cover 

Don’t think these are worth much or one of a kind, would like to know how many are generally made

3BE2DF3A-ADDD-4D76-9E96-16C208DB375B.jpeg

Correct that it is most likely from the reprints/marvel masterworks.  The original stats for example would be faded (I have a few) so I would assume that the acetates would look more aged if not not faded/yellowed too. 

They were part of the production process though, and I agree they are cool. The trick with these versus actual original art is that proving the authenticity is tricky.

22 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Seen a guy selling cover proofs of a modern Marvel Spidey title as “one of a kind” They’re not the acetate color separations but the full 4 color print.

How many are actually made of printing proofs? 

the guys selling them will say they're one of a kind, but they have no way to know that or prove that. There could be multiple copies of a proof if more than one person had yo approve it, or if the printer ran off mutiple copies to make sure the colors were consistant.

Im not interested in paying someone's flim-flam pitch price for something I could go remake with a high quality scan and kinkos.