• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ginger 4 is the new Archie 50
3 3

134 posts in this topic

This Ginger 4 ended on ebay yesterday.  In my opinion it's in the 4.0 range.

I got left in the dust at about the $600 mark on this.  41 total bids.  3 different bidders went over $1000.

This comic is hot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ginger-4-Very-Rare-Golden-Age-Archie-50-Counterpart-VG-Condition-/273655670666?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

I wonder if this like when folks moved to buying Nedors because Timelys were out of reach.  Wen I started my Nedor run, I could grab many for fractions of a similar Schomburg Timely cover.  Now Nedors, while not at the level of TImelys as a whole are dang expensive and desirable.  

Maybe, people who can't afford Archie 50 have gravitated to the Ginger and now prices reflect that.  Or could be folks want to complete the set and I think Suzie #73 might get some tug for folks going for the trifecta. 

No recorded GPA sales and only six one the census with the highest being a 7.0.  

But just a dumb theory and no basis other than I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in the past.

And yeah, I have Archie 50 and Suzie 73 and would like a Ginger 4 and I don't even collect the genre or titles.  :acclaim:

14 minutes ago, bluechip said:

If risque and double-entendre covers are going to be a thing, there lots of heretofore ignored Archies which will be major contenders. 

I'll have to dig through my old boxes again :)

I recently gave a box of newer books to a friends son, and as I was showing him how to bag then, I found a fun piece of trivia.  An archie book from the mid 80s has the girls commenting on Archie Snowsurfing.  If I remember right, snowboarding in the mid 80s was still pretty new, and not many people were doing it/aware of it, so it was fun to see it on a archie cover early enough that there wasn't even a set term for it yet.

9 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Glad I got this when I did. Haven't seen one since. Maybe @AJD has one/can advise on how common they are or aren't in Australia?

image.jpeg

Archies aren't as hard to find as some Australian books but they are still pretty uncommon. I stupidly didn't buy that copy when I first saw it, and haven't seen another one despite looking. Still, I did get this from the same seller, so I shouldn't complain... (And that's the only copy I've ever seen of that book. Until I uploaded a scan none of the reference sites had it.)

large.Archie_14_Australian.jpg.16f3835f4c06ad687ab5bca2957e81a8.jpg

10 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Glad I got this when I did. Haven't seen one since. Maybe @AJD has one/can advise on how common they are or aren't in Australia?

image.jpeg

This one here actually looks a lot better than the Ginger 4.  

Not only does it have the same sexy positioning for the girl, but adds in the seductive wave in her hair.  :luhv:

Thx @AJD! For the insights. Did you mean only copy you've seen of the Archie 14 or the Archie Gang 29? Guessing 14 is the one you uploaded.

I'm assuming you know it's same seller because you've only seen one of each, at least in a long while? For me, it was see and take; I didn't stop to think. Which I think is a form of PTSD from shopping in GA sales threads here :insane:

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This one here actually looks a lot better than the Ginger 4.  

Not only does it have the same sexy positioning for the girl, but adds in the seductive wave in her hair.  :luhv:

I wonder what made him decide to change that one side of her hairdo when he gave her the blonde dye job? But yes, it works!

4 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thx @AJD! For the insights. Did you mean only copy you've seen of the Archie 14 or the Archie Gang 29? Guessing 14 is the one you uploaded.

I'm assuming you know it's same seller because you've only seen one of each, at least in a long while? For me, it was see and take; I didn't stop to think. Which I think is a form of PTSD from shopping in GA sales threads here :insane:

Archie 14 was the unknown one until mine turned up. And, yes, that seller had quite a few Archies that don't surface much. I also got this, which has what I'm pretty sure is an Australian only cover.

large.2138975917_ArchiesRivalReggie31.jpg.d9feb306f1c36959d3fbc44bf38995d2.jpg

1 hour ago, waaaghboss said:

I'll have to dig through my old boxes again :)

I recently gave a box of newer books to a friends son, and as I was showing him how to bag then, I found a fun piece of trivia.  An archie book from the mid 80s has the girls commenting on Archie Snowsurfing.  If I remember right, snowboarding in the mid 80s was still pretty new, and not many people were doing it/aware of it, so it was fun to see it on a archie cover early enough that there wasn't even a set term for it yet.

No mainstream title comes close to the Archies for capturing the cultural zeitgeist of the month it was published. Whatever the latest slang, or fad, or cultural touchstone, it made its way into an Archie comic almost immediately.   Generally, you can tell the date of a reprinted superhero title only if you know the way the costume changed or when a new artist came aboard, etc.   (some exceptions to the rule, of course, like the late 60s early 70s when "revelance" became the thing).    But you could often pinpoint an Archie story to the year it was published just by the references (even if the stories themselves were so timeless they could be recycle for each generation).    Can't say the same for any other big-name fictional title.    

5 hours ago, AJD said:

Archie 14 was the unknown one until mine turned up. And, yes, that seller had quite a few Archies that don't surface much. I also got this, which has what I'm pretty sure is an Australian only cover.

large.2138975917_ArchiesRivalReggie31.jpg.d9feb306f1c36959d3fbc44bf38995d2.jpg

Hoo-boy, this one could keep me up all night....I know I have seen this cover before, but I am not sure if it's because you and I had both been watching the same seller, or if it appeared on a totally different U.S. Archie title, or if they used the same gag on a U.S. Archie title with a different image.....this calls for guys who read stacks of Archies; maybe they can help us out: @143ksk @Patriot6 @Cliff R. Any insight here?

Edited by Readcomix

8 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Hoo-boy, this one could keep me up all night....I know I have seen this cover before, but I am not sure if it's because you and I had both been watching the same seller, or if it appeared on a totally different U.S. Archie title, or if ye used the same gag on a U.S. Archie title with a different image.....this calls for guys who read stacks of Archies; maybe they can help us out: @143ksk @Patriot6 @Cliff R. Any insight here?

I have seen this cover before, Gene. I remember Reggie's lecherous look! And I think this gag was used on another cover, but I don't know which one.