• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ginger 4 is the new Archie 50
3 3

134 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

I have seen this cover before, Gene. I remember Reggie's lecherous look! And I think this gag was used on another cover, but I don't know which one.

You sure it wasn't when I posted it earlier? I looked through the GCD listings for a lot of US-published Archie titles and couldn't find it.

7 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Hoo-boy, this one could keep me up all night....I know I have seen this cover before, but I am not sure if it's because you and I had both been watching the same seller, or if it appeared on a totally different U.S. Archie title, or if they used the same gag on a U.S. Archie title with a different image.....this calls for guys who read stacks of Archies; maybe they can help us out: @143ksk @Patriot6 @Cliff R. Any insight here?

(shrug)

I have not seen it, certainly not in Archie the title. I would have guessed Laugh, if any, but I have never seen it on a North American cover. 

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Hoo-boy, this one could keep me up all night....I know I have seen this cover before, but I am not sure if it's because you and I had both been watching the same seller, or if it appeared on a totally different U.S. Archie title, or if they used the same gag on a U.S. Archie title with a different image.....this calls for guys who read stacks of Archies; maybe they can help us out: @143ksk @Patriot6 @Cliff R. Any insight here?

I’m nearly certain this was never a cover in any US Archie series.

19 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Might be time for another Ginger 1 vs 4 debate. hm

Or perhaps we should put together a poll of the top 10 seductive MLJ covers.

What do you think:  Archie 8, 13, 46, 48, 50, 53, 68, Ginger 1 & 4, Pep 71, 79, maybe Wilbur 28?,  I like Suzie 51, 56, 62 too.

Your list here actually made me go back and check out some of these covers in the Gerber Photo Journal Guide.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

17 hours ago, AJD said:

You sure it wasn't when I posted it earlier? I looked through the GCD listings for a lot of US-published Archie titles and couldn't find it.

I did see your book when you posted it a few months ago. That Australian edition is a beauty.  I thought the picture frame theme may have been used in a different title, with different characters, but I'm probably wrong. 

22 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Might be time for another Ginger 1 vs 4 debate. hm

Or perhaps we should put together a poll of the top 10 seductive MLJ covers.

What do you think:  Archie 8, 13, 46, 48, 50, 53, 68, Ginger 1 & 4, Pep 71, 79, maybe Wilbur 28?,  I like Suzie 51, 56, 62 too.

I think that's a pretty strong list off the top of my head, but I went and looked up Suzie #73 after @telerites mentioned it; I had forgotten the image but it belongs in the discussion too. Any others?

I blame myself.  I think I started a thread on on Ginger 4 being the poor man's Archie 50 on these same boards a while back before it started to heat up.  I think we have to go further down the food chain now and look at Katy Keene 62 being the poor man's Ginger 4 now :roflmao:

11 minutes ago, atomised said:

I blame myself.  I think I started a thread on on Ginger 4 being the poor man's Archie 50 on these same boards a while back before it started to heat up.  I think we have to go further down the food chain now and look at Katy Keene 62 being the poor man's Ginger 4 now :roflmao:

Well, in this age of inclusiveness and gender equality, maybe we should just go with the "muscular" Captain America cover by the great Rob Liefeld:  lol

Image result for captain america cover by rob liefeld

or NOT!!!  :p  

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, in this age of inclusiveness and gender equality, maybe we should just go with the "muscular" Captain America cover by the great Rob Liefeld:  lol

Image result for captain america cover by rob liefeld

or NOT!!!  :p  

Jack Kirby had several of his covers rejected. Had to redraw them entirely.

This was published.

43 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

This was published.

This depiction of Cap is hideous.  I would go with a Fantastic Comics #16 to be more inclusive, but I don't have a copy.

Archie 50 is OK, but it's never been on my want list. It's kind of bland. There are quite a few Archie/Pep/Laugh covers that I like better (including a few by Montana, although I generally prefer Vigoda's work). As for Ginger 4, Ginger's pose might be classic, but the artwork is just average. I'd take a Katy Keene 62 over either of the aforementioned books any day of the week.

19 minutes ago, path4play said:

I've personally much preferred Cindy #37 over Archie #50, I kind of missed the Ginger bus.

Cindy 37 is a great cover (I have 2), but Archie/Betty/Veronica are a big part of Pop culture so that gives Archie 50 a lot of focus.  Ginger & Cindy are little known characters so are are a bit more comparable.  Cindy 37 is a great Headlights cover, Ginger 4 is a great Taillights cover, but it's hard to compare them.  However, headlights to headlights....I would say Cindy 37 > Ginger 1 in my opinion.

Edited by gadzukes

22 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

This was published.

This was never a cover, nor intended to be one. It was a promotional piece. Obviously it somewhat backfired, to put it mildly, but we should at least not add to the misinformation out there about this piece. 

3 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

This was never a cover, nor intended to be one. It was a promotional piece. Obviously it somewhat backfired, to put it mildly, but we should at least not add to the misinformation out there about this piece. 

Agree about the misinformation, and it’s comforting to learn that this wasn’t a cover!