• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ginger 4 is the new Archie 50
3 3

134 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, AJD said:

Archie 14 was the unknown one until mine turned up. And, yes, that seller had quite a few Archies that don't surface much. I also got this, which has what I'm pretty sure is an Australian only cover.

large.2138975917_ArchiesRivalReggie31.jpg.d9feb306f1c36959d3fbc44bf38995d2.jpg

This is the closest US equivalent.  Not for the artwork, just the gag.

Laugh_1953_060.jpg

On 1/22/2019 at 6:10 PM, atomised said:

I blame myself.  I think I started a thread on on Ginger 4 being the poor man's Archie 50 on these same boards a while back before it started to heat up.  I think we have to go further down the food chain now and look at Katy Keene 62 being the poor man's Ginger 4 now :roflmao:

I like the cover of Katy Keene #62 but it seems to me more of an nice sci-fi cover rather than GGA.  I think it's kind of fitting and prescient that the mechanical monster might lead to Katy's demise and Archie killed the title with this issue.

Katy Keene_62_1961_Oct.jpg

7 hours ago, path4play said:

I've personally much preferred Cindy #37 over Archie #50, I kind of missed the Ginger bus.

Well, if it's Cindy 37 you are interested in, it looks like there's 2 of them coming up in the next set of auctions:

RAD96F9A201913_134134.jpg

This rather "shapely" looking CGC 6.0 graded copy that's coming up in the next ComicLink Auction or:

cin1.24a.jpg

This slightly higher CGC 6.5 graded copy that's available in the next ComicConnect Auction.  

Wonder which one of these 2 will end up doing better in the end with the two auction houses duking it out?  :slapfight:

Does anybody know what is going on with the bottom of this book as their scan here makes it look defective?  Is that just a bad scan or picture using a bad background as I notice the same "look" on a large portion of their auction listings on this go round here?  Or is that improper slabbing done by CGC which is going to result in serious damage being done to all of the books?  ???

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Does anybody know what is going on with the bottom of this book as their scan here makes it look defective?  Is that just a bad scan or picture using a bad background as I notice the same "look" on a large portion of their auction listings on this go round here?  Or is that improper slabbing done by CGC which is going to result in serious damage being done to all of the books?  ???

It has something to do with the way CC is imaging the slabs. I wish they would stop presenting them this way. There's nothing wrong with the slabs themselves.

9 hours ago, lotemo said:

I like the cover of Katy Keene #62 but it seems to me more of an nice sci-fi cover rather than GGA.  I think it's kind of fitting and prescient that the mechanical monster might lead to Katy's demise and Archie killed the title with this issue.

That's a gorgeous cover! Katy went out in style. :)<3

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Pretty good sized stain on the bottom of the 6.5. I’d go for the 6.0 personally. Here’s mine. 

636569F0-0D1B-4ACA-BE22-62B0B2F04CDB.jpeg

Gorgeous copy!  How'd it not get a "Qualified" label?  Did you request that?  It probably would be an 8.5 qualified.

I agree with your thoughts on the two Cindy37s coming up for auction.  The 6.0 looks better to me.

12 hours ago, lotemo said:

Katy Keene 62 is the poor man's Startling Comics 49

10461557276_94f8320624_b.jpg

Someone with really good Photoshop skills should put Katy Keen into the robot's arms on the Startling cover.  Or put the Xela damsel into the robot's arms in the KK cover.

Edited by gadzukes

4 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It has something to do with the way CC is imaging the slabs. I wish they would stop presenting them this way. There's nothing wrong with the slabs themselves.

Well, if I was the consignor of all of these slabs that have been improperly imaged, I would be be calling CC up and giving them a piece of my mind  :censored: :censored: :mad: then.

Especially since scans like these makes the books look defective on the inside or suffering from SCS.  Images like these will definitely discourage potential bidders from even bidding or at the minimum, from going as high as they might if the scan of these books had been done properly.  :facepalm:

21 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I thought binder rings were "Qualified". (shrug)

Me too, but I guess you can ask them to grade it regularly taking into account the problems.  ThothAmon's Cindy 37 would have probably graded as high as 8.5 in a "qualified" slab, but he must have asked them to grade it as a universal.  That's why the grade is so low.  However, that FF5 shown above not only has the 3 holes, but the top hole looks like it pulled through.  I might give it a "qualified" 3.0, but only a Universal 1.8.  Spideyfein got really lucky with that grade.

5 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

...and for the record, Cindy #37 is better than Ginger #4 and Archie #50 combined. :nyah:

Well, since the Cindy 37 is way up there in the stratosphere in terms of pricing and they seem to show up quite frequently in these auctions recently, the one that I would go with would be this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Junie Prom Comics #5 (Dearfield, 1949) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream tooff-white pages....

Looks like this book here came out several months prior to the Cindy 37 and is definitely much tougher to find since a meagre total of only 4 copies have been slabbed after all this time.  hm

Definitely at a much lower price point than the Cindy 37, but the real trick, I imagine, is to find one.  Especially since the Heritage archives indicates this is the only slabbed copy plus another low grade raw copy which they have ever sold, while Metro/CC indicates no copies as having ever been sold in their archives.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since the Cindy 37 is way up there in the stratosphere in terms of pricing and they seem to show up quite frequently in these auctions recently, the one that I would go with would be this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Junie Prom Comics #5 (Dearfield, 1949) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream tooff-white pages....

Looks like this book here came out several months prior to the Cindy 37 and is definitely much tougher to find since a meagre total of only 4 copies have been slabbed after all this time.  hm

Definitely at a much lower price point than the Cindy 37, but the real trick, I imagine, is to find one.  Especially since the Heritage archives indicates this is the only slabbed copy plus another low grade raw copy which they have ever sold, while Metro/CC indicates no copies as having ever been sold in their archives.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Well, I seem to recall a fellow boardie winning the Edgar Church copy of this book on eBay back in the summer of 2006.

Not sure if he still has it. hm

Perhaps this post will catch his eye...

1 hour ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I seem to recall a fellow boardie winning the Edgar Church copy of this book on eBay back in the summer of 2006.

Not sure if he still has it. hm

Perhaps this post will catch his eye...

All I can say is that I certainly wish I was that fellow boardie who had brought it way back then.  :bigsmile:

I assume that must be the CGC 9.4 graded copy that is showing up in the census then, as the other 2 copies besides these two are much lower graded copies.

Do you remember what it sold for back then because I am 100% sure that it would go for multiples of whatever he had paid back then.  hm

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Since we're showing our cards.

lf.jpeg

Gorgeous comic.

Check out this Wilbur cover, which came out only a few months after this Archie 32.

Looks like they have the same teacher.

Also, why do the girls always have their eyes closed in these types of illustrations?

https://www.comics.org/issue/236295/cover/4/

Edited by gadzukes