• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob Liefelds new comic
1 1

69 posts in this topic

I for one love Liefeld's art and will be picking up every issue of this series.
He is by far one of the better artists drawing comics today.  I cannot stand those poor amateurish artists like Humberto Ramos.

Edited by BobBain

On 1/23/2019 at 4:20 PM, HarrisonJohn said:

He draws like a 6th grader draws in their notebook during Math class.

Show me any sixth grader that has sold millions of copies of a single book with their art.  Today's artists are generally worse than the greats of the 90s.

14 hours ago, BobBain said:

He is by far one of the better artists drawing comics today.  I cannot stand those poor amateurish artists like Humberto Ramos.

Fortunately someone better than Rob is doing the interior art after issue one.
Rob had a fair amount of good art back in the day, but there is A LOT of really bad stuff too. More recently all his art has very similar (ugly) characteristics. All the faces are basically squares with triangles for chins, most of the mouths are drawn open in a strange :o like look and people have lost lips...to name a few issues I have.

Sure he sold a million copies back in the day (when his art was pretty good), but his work now has not improved for the better. 

If you truly like his art thats cool and we can agree to disagree on style, but dont like his art just because he had a few hits back in the day and has been riding that wave for the past 20 something years.

15 hours ago, BobBain said:

What you love is the dynamicism of Rob's art.

It's the technical aspects of art that Rob has trouble with.

Hey, I agree there are times where his art leaves you to wonder "WTF" but I genuinely like his style for the most part. 
The other guys that will be drawing should be good too!  Whilce Portacio is another one of those X-Greats that I look forward to seeing his art again.

Rob will be doing the bookends of the series.  

One thing that Rob and his cohort tended to do well was use a heavy line to delineate foreground from background.  Somehow this basic skill seems to have been lost.  I don't know if it's the artists today, or the consistent jumble of earth toned, pastel, or sepia computer coloring, but there's way too many panels in today's books where I have to try to figure out what the image is, or what action is being conveyed.

6 hours ago, 500Club said:

One thing that Rob and his cohort tended to do well was use a heavy line to delineate foreground from background.  Somehow this basic skill seems to have been lost.  I don't know if it's the artists today, or the consistent jumble of earth toned, pastel, or sepia computer coloring, but there's way too many panels in today's books where I have to try to figure out what the image is, or what action is being conveyed.

I think it's called "drawing." lol 

On 1/23/2019 at 12:50 PM, stinkininkin said:

Thanks!  Someday, I'll find my photocopy of the original pencils and post it next to my inks.

Scott

promises, promises.

i can only wonder what the mindset of any professional inker is when they are handed a piece of work like this.  on the one hand, it's probably tougher than a normal job by someone with tight pencils, who has actually done live figure drawing and/or who owns a copy of Gray's Anatomy (the book, not the tv show).  but on the other hand, the pressure is probably lower since the only thing that can be done is improvement, with the scale of said improvement being the only variable

On 1/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Rob Liefeld Returns to Marvel with Major X I know wolverine is supposed to have an ugly mug, but doh!

"Vot ze holy farken haff occurred here! Ze Count he is no critic of ze art form, but holy mother bejezus zis work haff ze artistic qualities of ze sh:censored: of a dog"  TinyNiftyBluegill-small.gif.daab2b42d982b6d0208ecc31cd09ebe5.gif

I thought the cover is supposed to make you want to pick up and buy the book.  I picked this up, saw the cover and put the book down.  I know $4 does not mean that much to Marvel.......  OK I take that back, with how new books sell $4 could mean a lot.

"It is correct zat you like ze Count's postage ze Man Adam and his Tea Van, as zis is in ze realms of expectment. Zis art, why it is ze crime most prolific! Ze Count he would prefer to haff ze sandy papering of ze ball sacks zan haff to look at zis creation of ze turd for any moments longer. Please, I beg ze, shield ze eyes of ze Count! Zey burn!" TinyNiftyBluegill-small.gif.04ea9d3ae84da5ab3bcf67a92bef78a7.gif

"Major X? Major vant to stick ze pins in ze eyeballs more like! Heh heh. See, ze Count he knows his wordy playments" TinyNiftyBluegill-small.gif.de3448787ad3c5485985f22b01a46916.gif

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Rob Liefeld Returns to Marvel with Major X I kn

Spoiler

tenor.gif

In spoiler, but just an example of what I mean...... there's nothing wrong with that, but I doubt it's Lefields's intent here.... :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

They all look like they're 90 years old!

They do. Count nonsense aside, it's so banal looking isn't it. Crushingly ordinary, stultifyingly dull and uninspired. X this, X that, X the other. Is there any connotation of X left that hasn't been mined to death ad nauseum. I am sick to the back (lipless) teeth of X related comics. What's next; Barry X? For God's sake give it a rest Marvel.

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

They all look like they're 90 years old!

They do. Count nonsense aside, it's so banal looking isn't it. Crushingly ordinary, stultifyingly dull and uninspired. X this, X that, X the other. Is there any connotation of X left that hasn't been mined to death ad nauseum. I am sick to the back (lipless) teeth of X related comics. What's next; Barry X? For God's sake give it a rest Marvel.

Really. Nothing wrong with older looker's to be superhero's, it's just was it the intent? (shrug) X-anything sounds like a bad pun now :( but to us who knew some of the 90's, perhaps nostalgia, or perhaps Lefield has the longing for what in his mind were glory days.

It's just I've seen drawings of his, and this was not his best effort for sure :sorry: 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Really. Nothing wrong with older looker's to be superhero's, it's just was it the intent? (shrug) X-anything sounds like a bad pun now :( but to us who knew some of the 90's, perhaps nostalgia, or perhaps Lefield has the longing for what in his mind were glory days.

It's just I've seen drawings of his, and this was not his best effort for sure :sorry: 

"Thank you for coming Ladies and Gentlemen, and welcome to the 61st annual 'What shall the next X title be' discussion forum. Please turn to slide B in your presentation pack, titled 'new title ideas'"

Slide B - New X Title Ideas

• The X Coffee Table Crew
  • Barry and the X Gang
  • The X Pletives 
  • X X 
  • X Fireball XL5 X
  • X Plain
  • A Cup of X 
  • Ultimate X Five
  • The All New X Coffee Table Crew
  • X: The 3rd From Last Letter 
  • X Marks the Rot