• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a 2nd set of eyes. PGM ASM 505

6 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

Is there a scratch or hint of crease on the back near the bottom staple? I'll guess 9.2, maybe a strict 9.0. Slightly larger scans might be helpful.

Sorry I can't post a bigger scan right now but these are the defects when I last went over it with an LED light.

Front Cover: 3 light Non-Color Break spine ticks: 1 up to 1/16", 2 up to 1/8" on spine, light shallow Non-Color Break bends on FC due to handling between 1/8" and 1/4"

Back Cover: 3 light spine ticks: 2 up to 1/16", 1 showing clear Color Break up to 1/8", the white streak along the lower right back cover spine is not a reader's crease.  It is color rub from either stacking or rubbing against other books/spinner rack/shelf or due to production ink loss.

A press would likely eliminate 2 or all 3 front cover spine ticks and all of the Non-Color Break bends.  It would possibly eliminate 1 of the spine ticks on the back cover leaving 1 definite color break and 1 light spine tick and the color rub and color fleck near the bottom back cover staple.

My issue is in grading the color rub on top of the other defects.  Initially I had it at 9.4 but I took another look and with the accumulation of listed defects I put it in the 9.2 to 9.4 range from the OS grading guide.  With a press I'd estimate 9.4/9.6 at best but definitely not 9.8. However, the color rub is making me unsure of even those grades.  With the clarification of the defects listed above, what grade would you consider it now? 

Thanks for any additional input.