• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPC Sticker
2 2

15 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Edward Kimball said:

Am I your straight guy, or does anyone have a real answer?

I think that he just means that it wasn't factory that way, maybe it was just some stores policy :foryou:

I don't know specifics but have seen threads about it before ...

12 minutes ago, Edward Kimball said:

Am I your straight guy, or does anyone have a real answer?

What "real answer" do you think you're going to get? It was likely added by some retail store that uses scanning technology to manage their sales and/or inventory.

Here's my thoughts:  It must be one of two things:

1.  The sticker looks like it was printed by DC's publisher.  They used this sticker to create copies for regular newsstands (as opposed to comic shops).   But these stickers normally didn't show up until after the year 2000.  Therefore, ....

2.  It could have been printed by a second hand retailer.

17 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Here's my thoughts:  It must be one of two things:

1.  The sticker looks like it was printed by DC's publisher.  They used this sticker to create copies for regular newsstands (as opposed to comic shops).   But these stickers normally didn't show up until after the year 2000.  Therefore, ....

2.  It could have been printed by a second hand retailer.

Thanks, everyone,even Lazyboy! Might it affect the grade?

p.s.   The earliest publisher newsstand sticker that I can recall was the ones that appeared on 2nd and 4th printings of Superman 75 (Jan 1993 death issue).

Even earlier was the "DC bullet" stickers that were placed on pack reprints of Batman 414 thru 416 (Dec 1987 thru Feb 1988), but those were not newsstand stickers.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:48 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

p.s.   The earliest publisher newsstand sticker that I can recall was the ones that appeared on 2nd and 4th printings of Superman 75 (Jan 1993 death issue).

Even earlier was the "DC bullet" stickers that were placed on pack reprints of Batman 414 thru 416 (Dec 1987 thru Feb 1988), but those were not newsstand stickers.

Maybe the UPC sticker was put on the Batman The Cult issue because it was in a multipack?   I was looking at some Marvel packs today and found that some have a UPC sticker on the outer bag, but then there are also instances where the sticker has been applied to the book within the package.  Here are the two examples I found where the UPC sticker has been applied directly to the comic, not on the plastic packaging.  These are from 1987carebearsheathcliff1-front.thumb.jpg.d6a51c7bc44062ebcc6ee0fbb5adc22a.jpgsilverhawksthundercats-front.thumb.jpg.c5cfbc79d46b654d6516510588977193.jpg

Edited by Warlord

On 1/26/2019 at 9:26 PM, Warlord said:

Maybe the UPC sticker was put on the Batman The Cult issue because it was in a multipack?   I was looking at some Marvel packs today and found that some have a UPC sticker on the outer bag, but then there are also instances where the sticker has been applied to the book within the package.  Here are the two examples I found where the UPC sticker has been applied directly to the comic, not on the plastic packaging.  These are from 1987

Great find.   Thanks for posting.   

A friend of mine in Alabama recently found a sticker on Batman Legends of Dark Knight #2 with UPC sticker cover dated Jan 1990.   Attached is photo. 

p.s.  I don't usually attribute the sticker to the publisher until I see at least two copies of the exact same sticker being sold from different parts of the country.   I just checked and saw at least one other copy on sale on ebay with exact same sticker... so I think we can assume that the publisher (or distributor) decided to put this comic book out to the newsstands.

p.p.s.  The "Batman the Cult #4" with sticker shown above was cover dated Nov 1988.   If that sticker was really created by the publisher, then it is the earliest newsstand sticker that I'm aware of.

1202844171_BatmanLODKlegendsstickernewsstandfromJasonFeb2019.thumb.jpg.989a47eca9eb0b2b2fe33e8aa8b8435c.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

7 minutes ago, Ablation Steve said:

Another thread on this from not that long ago and how it affects grade (yup it came back qualified)

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/471589-how-does-cgc-handle-aftermarket-upc-stickers/?tab=comments#comment-11271507

I posted my graded stickered upc book in that thread.