• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

I was thinking recently as to what would fall in the category of the most affordable key book. A true key book: first appearances, early appearances, origin stories, iconic cover art, classic stories etc. Personally I'm a bit unsure ~

The most affordable Gold key:

The most affordable Silver key:

The most affordable Bronze key:

Strange Tales #180

The most affordable Modern key:

Spawn #1

Not sure about DC Comics which I'm rather curious about (whether it be a Showcase issue), though I'm stumped on what to put for Golden and Silver age ~

All comments are welcomed!

The post above IMO is based solely on "Speculation" and I took your question to mean books that are "Classic Keys" that have a proven track record, not "hot at the time movie books."

Having said that, this is a very difficult question to answer and it gives me a headache just thinking about it... O.o

Everyone has different Likes/Dislikes as far as Characters/Cover Art/Storyline are concerned and this would also create controversy on what determines if a book is actually a "Key" book (other than the known classics), so it is near impossible to pin it down to one or two books from each era. :preach:

Wouldn't the first appearance of every early Spider-Man, Daredevil, F.F. villain be considered a key???  (shrug)

Edited by marvelmaniac

18 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

The post above IMO is based solely on "Speculation" and I took your question to mean books that are "Classic Keys" that have a proven track record, not "hot at the time movie books."

Having said that, this is a very difficult question to answer and it gives me a headache just thinking about it... O.o

Everyone has different Likes/Dislikes as far as Characters/Cover Art/Storyline are concerned and this would also create controversy on what determines if a book is actually a "Key" book (other than the known classics), so it is near impossible to pin it down to one or two books from each era. :preach:

Wouldn't the first appearance of every early Spider-Man, Daredevil, F.F. villain be considered a key???  (shrug)

There is some speculation but Batman 655 is still a key and affordable. IMO 

28 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Everyone has different Likes/Dislikes as far as Characters/Cover Art/Storyline are concerned and this would also create controversy on what determines if a book is actually a "Key" book (other than the known classics), so it is near impossible to pin it down to one or two books from each era.

Yes, that is part of the fun.

28 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Wouldn't the first appearance of every early Spider-Man, Daredevil, F.F. villain be considered a key???

Yes.

Edited by Spidey 62

3 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

For affordable GA semi-key, I recommend More Fun #14 Superman prototype gd $2k.

That's a good one. Comics Magazine #1 pre-dates it, has part 1 of the same story as More Fun #14 and is also the first Centaur publication... but I'm not sure it's still considered affordable. hm

Edited by valiantman

Bronze = Scooby Doo #1 Gold Key.  If there’s one Gold Key book to own that transcends generations of avid TV watchers, merchandise buyers, and movie goers, it’s this one.  I know it’s difficult to find in high grade but honestly, this blows Johnny Quest, Doctor Solar, and Magnus Robot Fighter clear out of the water.  And for full disclosure, no, I do not own a copy.

Copper = ASM 238, 252 are still cheap for books that are now 35 years old.  I’d also include 239 - 1st full appearance and first battle with Spidey

49 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Wrong.

36 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I disagree. Bats 655 is an actual key. 

I generally think there should be some value attached to a supposed key. If it's low priced, then people don't think overly highly of it.  I can get a graded 9.6 white for $75.  I am not saying it doesn't have potential, but I can't say it rises to key based on the first app of a pint sized snotty assassin, even if it is Bruce and Talia's kid.  It is readily available in raw for low prices.  

Someone above listed Spawn #1 as a key.  I would agree but even with a movie and a 20+ year run, it is still way too available at low prices.  I can't ignore that as part of the equation. 

Edited by Spidey 62