• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If we're going with "affordable" rather than "undervalued" then Batman 436 and/or 442 are probably the best picks for Copper Age.

I still find these in 50 cent bins, and am still surprised by it. Really seems like they should be worth SOMETHING by now. I guess Damien has completely stolen Tim's thunder these days, but Tim was an integral DC character with his own title(s) for so long, seems like his first app should be better than dollar bin fodder. I guess the print runs were pretty high and there were probably lots of folks picking it up as a spec back then. Oh well, I still buy 'em for 50 cents or a buck in nice shape when I see em.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:29 PM, AGGIEZ said:

I didn't want to sift through the all of the mega-superhero Damian Wayne discussion...did anyone mention Thor #165. Once Warlock becomes a staple in the MCU Cosmic movie universe, this one will do what FF #52 did...although it's been slowly increasing for a few years now. I also like Superboy #68 to blow up if Bizarro ever makes a movie debut.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:24 PM, bb8 said:

Adam Warlock is a weird one as his 'firsts' are spread out over so many issues. I personally like FF 67 better as it's not just a 'hero vs hero' fight and is all about Him though he doesn't physically appear.

I've been wanting to pick up a 1st Warlock for a while now, but I really couldn't figure out where to put the money down...

Picked up the Thor 165 though, so let's see what happens... At least I'm along for the ride now! :)

17 minutes ago, the blob said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

How many are newsstand? :grin:

Sorry, a key is a key regardless of it's variation. It's what's inside that counts! (At least for status, not value)

True, but if we're talking about "affordable" then Spawn #1 direct edition is one price and Spawn #1 newsstand is another price.  But, it's looking like there are 15 to 20 direct editions for every 1 newsstand and the "affordable" label might depend on which one you think has more potential. (thumbsu 

In hindsight, there are books now $100 that used to be $10 and books now $500 that used to be $20.  The $10 book has always been more affordable than the $20 book, but it was the $20 book that was the most affordable vs. the current price for both.

Edited by valiantman

The newsstand is not that much more expensive, particularly if it has a spine tick or three.

What is the deal with people claiming these newsstands are "1:100 variants"? What a load of bull.

40 minutes ago, the blob said:

The newsstand is not that much more expensive, particularly if it has a spine tick or three.

What is the deal with people claiming these newsstands are "1:100 variants"? What a load of bull.

Wishful thinking... and Chuck.  

(It's always got something to do with Chuck.) 

http://milehighcomics.com/newsletter/031513.html

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, Schmakt said:

I've been wanting to pick up a 1st Warlock for a while now, but I really couldn't figure out where to put the money down...

Picked up the Thor 165 though, so let's see what happens... At least I'm along for the ride now! :)

I also think that’s the one to own, if you were to choose...

11 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:
1 hour ago, Schmakt said:

I also think that’s the one to own, if you were to choose...

Did they ever discuss his name is actually Rocky and that he's Dr. Frank N. Furter's creation? :insane:

On 1/23/2019 at 5:29 PM, AGGIEZ said:

I didn't want to sift through the all of the mega-superhero Damian Wayne discussion...did anyone mention Thor #165. Once Warlock becomes a staple in the MCU Cosmic movie universe, this one will do what FF #52 did...although it's been slowly increasing for a few years now. I also like Superboy #68 to blow up if Bizarro ever makes a movie debut.

Considering the impact that Black Panther has had, I think the only book that has the potential to explode like FF 52 is Marvel Super-Heroes 13 (which has already seen a huge increase since the announcement of phase 3).

On 1/25/2019 at 10:51 PM, valiantman said:

Did they ever discuss his name is actually Rocky and that he's Dr. Frank N. Furter's creation? :insane:

I've always preferred Marvel Premiere 1 for that reason.  Too reminiscent of Rocky Horror, and I can't take Him seriously.

Warlock is a much more interesting, three-dimensional character.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:11 PM, the blob said:

Agree on Spawn 1. Particularly as I own 20 NM copies. And Thor 339, of course.

Thor 339, huh?  First Stormbreaker.  I had never thought of a weapon's 1st appearance being a key but I understand your reasoning since it has become so popular after the last Avengers movie.   

Either way, Walt Simonson's Thor and Beta Ray Bill run (starting with Thor 337) are super cool (IMHO).      ^^

6 minutes ago, jeranimal said:

Thor 339, huh?  First Stormbreaker.  I had never thought of a weapon's 1st appearance being a key but I understand your reasoning since it has become so popular after the last Avengers movie.   

Either way, Walt Simonson's Thor and Beta Ray Bill run (starting with Thor 337) are super cool (IMHO).      ^^

It is an inside joke with myself.

Marvel's top three objectives: 1) Make a profit, 2) Respect canon (Feige is a fanboy), and 3) Give every ethnicity, nationality, gender, etc... their shot on the big screen.

What character checks all three boxes? As in: 1) Inspires, potentially, the largest portion of the consumer base?, 2) OG fans want to see, but haven't yet?, and 3) Embodies a group that hasn't been represented in the MCU?

It's obvious, to me anyways...

Edited by Callaway29