• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Why are Star Trek comics so cheap?  They came after the show.

The first 4 issues of Star Trek were released while season 2 and 3 of TOS were on the air during it’s initial run. Part of the hightened interest in those early issues is due to the fact that they are part of relatively small amount of licensed merchandise that was released durning the show’s original airing. 

I do agree with your point that the fact these properties didn’t originate in comics affects there secondary market value. Even if the comic somehow predates the film or show, everyone knows the comics are a byproduct of the licensed property, not the other way around. 

However, I think it might be an oversimplification to say it’s the only reason these comics are low value. 

Here’s what I think are some other important contributing factors:

- comics based on tv/movie properties are generally considered “out of continuity” meaning that the stories have no significance to the property’s overall canon. GK Star Trek actually has a potential “key” during the mid-70’s but because the whole series is considered non-canon Trek collectors really don’t care. 

- licensed comics generally have no impact on comics continuity outside of they’re own title. There might be occasional crossovers - like Han & Chewie showing up in Marvel Two-In-One - but those stories are usually treated as “imaginary” and have no real significance. 

- the storytelling usually falls short of what fans are accustomed to, such as shows like Star Trek and Twilight Zone. 

First of all... scooby 1 is not "undervalued". Nor are Star Trek 1 or Star Wars 1. They're valued proportionally as NON comic book properties. They are movie franchises. 

Just like Rick & Morty is not undervalued and many many other NON comic related franchises. 

TMNT "IS" a comic book property. 

Just like Spider man is. 

10 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Or the Real Ghostbusters to an extent ^_^ Which is undervalued to an extent as well I might say, especially the rare last issue ~

Which issues?  Ghostbusters was a 1984 movie first, and it had toys. It became a cartoon in 1986. The comic books based on the characters in the movie started in 1988.  That's not a good timeline for the comics to matter.

New X-Men #134 - 1st appearance of Quentin Quire

New X-Men #135 - 1st appearance of Omega Gang

14 hours ago, valiantman said:

Which issues?  Ghostbusters was a 1984 movie first, and it had toys. It became a cartoon in 1986. The comic books based on the characters in the movie started in 1988.  That's not a good timeline for the comics to matter.

Perhaps, but the art is still pretty interesting, the issue I'm referring to is Real Ghostbusters #28

On 1/28/2019 at 9:27 PM, Aweandlorder said:

First of all... scooby 1 is not "undervalued". Nor are Star Trek 1 or Star Wars 1. They're valued proportionally as NON comic book properties. They are movie franchises. 

Just like Rick & Morty is not undervalued and many many other NON comic related franchises. 

TMNT "IS" a comic book property. 

Just like Spider man is. 

Really? You consider them to be Non comic book properties even though each of the aforementioned has 300+ issues published?

gotta disagree with you on that point.

and what the heck is Rick &Morty?  Bad choice for a comparison

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Really? You consider them to be Non comic book properties even though each of the aforementioned has 300+ issues published?

gotta disagree with you on that point.

and what the heck is Rick &Morty?  Bad choice for a comparison

Of course they are not. They are movie franchises. They will never be as valuable as a first appearance of a popular character in printed media. Let alone one that was made INTO a movie.

That doesnt mean they are not collectible. Just not (even remotely close) to one made from a book.

Rick & Morty, strange as you'd find it, holds high value for a modern book based on a TV show. I personally think there was alot of shilling going on to promote the show through sales, but its still a credible example nonetheless 

6 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

New X-Men #134 - 1st appearance of Quentin Quire

New X-Men #135 - 1st appearance of Omega Gang

Perhaps, but the art is still pretty interesting, the issue I'm referring to is Real Ghostbusters #28

Shhh, quiet you, I'm still buying those out of dollar bins!

6 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Whoops lol ^_^ But in all honesty, I could see Quentin be a part of the future X-Men films in the MCU ~ The Anakin/Joffrey of the MCU ~

I don't know about movie plans, but there are a BUNCH of first appearances in the Morrison New X-Men run that could pop at any given time. A crazy amount of characters created in that run that could impact the X-comics (and movies, sure) for years to come. And for the most part, aside from the 128/129 Fantomex books, you can still find that run in dollar bins.

Exactly! Dust and Quentin seem to be the interesting ones so far (barring Fantomex), though Wither and Elixir are rather interesting too ~ 

But on the news James Gunn will be using new characters for the Suicide Squad 2 film!

Edited by Bart Allen

On 1/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Appreciate the info on the above.  I was just the right age to 'get' the TMNT when they 1st appeared.  I purchased #1 third print from my LCS and even sent away for the t-shirt iron on image, which was awesome, and like many others, I was totally hooked, having purchased every subsequent issue through #20, and also picking up a #1 first print.  The Turtles were fun, entertaining and spoke to a certain audience at the time.  Once they were published at Archie and the Saturday morning cartoon appeared on TV, I lost interest.  But I was completely aware of the cultural phenomena it became: pjs, puzzles, games, books, more cartoons, movies, and...wait a sec, sounds familiar.  Oh, that's right, its the same bit of nostalgia I felt for Scooby Doo, who had been on TV for 15 years already, and who also had numerous books, puzzles, pj's etc published.

If you want to know which I'd rather have today, well, let me put it to you this way:  I sold my TMNT #1 first print, and I am actively seeking a high grade Scooby Doo #1 (and have been for several years).

Glad to see another like minded soul has seen the light. Scooby is so under valued compared to TMNT. I grew up with both and It seems so clear Scooby is a larger global brand and his comics are so much rarer. I think in 10 years the collecting world will reward the Scooby values much more. By the way I own both so would also be pleased if both went up the same, just think Scooby is like a coiled spring in comparison. 

6 hours ago, NamesJay said:

I think first appearance of Black Cat is undervalued and due for an adjustment. Right after 200 more Scott Campbell covers are published.

It's rather funny that according to my email alerts (which sent me eBay messages) Spider-Man #194 9.0 CGC in 2007 was going for around $30-$40 lol lol

On 2/2/2019 at 12:44 AM, jefecabra said:

Glad to see another like minded soul has seen the light. Scooby is so under valued compared to TMNT. I grew up with both and It seems so clear Scooby is a larger global brand and his comics are so much rarer. I think in 10 years the collecting world will reward the Scooby values much more. By the way I own both so would also be pleased if both went up the same, just think Scooby is like a coiled spring in comparison. 

Scooby 1 is a very difficult book to find above 7.0.  The same can be said for subsequent issues.  Regardless, I am in disagreement with the statement that this is a ‘movie’ property rather than a comic book property. Time will tell...

On 2/2/2019 at 12:44 AM, jefecabra said:

I don't know anyone who cares all that much about Scooby Doo comics. That would explain there being so few on the census.