• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2019 at 4:59 PM, Bart Allen said:

Justice League Dark #1 (1st Justice League Dark appearance)

Real Ghostbusters #1 and issue #28 (1st appearance of the Ghostbusters in comic form, and the last issue is rare)

Avengers #684 (1st Immortal Hulk)

Showcase #94 (New Doom Patrol)

1st JLA Dark was in Saga Of The Swamp thing #49 (cameo) and #50 (full) - all the gang were there......

It's getting hot but for undervalued - Batman #49

1st app of two major retro characters - Mad Hatter and Vicki Vale - although how they fit into the high-tech grim current Batman world is to be seen - for Mad Hatter at least.

But they were very well known in the comic, the TV show and early Batman Movies.

Throw in a classic Joker cover and there's a book with growth potential written all over it.

A 5.0 on heritage just went for $3500 (inc premium I believe) - seems cheap considering the 1st apps and covers.

For disclosure - yes I own one, no, it's not for sale.

EDIT - Rick has just put one up for sale on here!

Edited by Beige
Coz i like Rick!

No just the main 5

https://comicbookrealm.com/topic/8/26135/true-unofficial-first-appearance-of-justice-league-dark 

Seems a lot of people are shifting to this ( not saying you are right or wrong) This is CGC's labelling of Swamp Thing #49

John Constantine, Deadman, Demon,
Phantom Stranger & Spectre appearance

I agree Madame Xanadu may be the fly in the ointment!

On 2/24/2019 at 5:25 PM, Beige said:

1st JLA Dark was in Saga Of The Swamp thing #49 (cameo) and #50 (full) - all the gang were there......

No. A few characters briefly teaming up doesn't make a team. Especially when they don't get together again for decades.

10 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

X-Factor 5, 6, 15

X-Force 11

X-Force 19

Marvel Comics Presents 72

Off the top of my head...

I’ve always wondered why the Weapon X story wasn’t a bigger deal. If it had appeared in Wolverine or UXM instead of MCP it would have been a huge deal. 

6 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I’ve always wondered why the Weapon X story wasn’t a bigger deal. If it had appeared in Wolverine or UXM instead of MCP it would have been a huge deal. 

Could not agree with you more.  Marvel Comics Presents has a figurative handful of keys but #72 should be gigantic in the collecting world.  Doesn't even get a sniff, all things considered.

Edited by sagekilz

2 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

Could not agree with you more.  Marvel Comics Presents has only a figurative handful of keys but #72 should be gigantic in the collecting world.  Doesn't even get a sniff, all things considered.

One of the best copper age runs too, probably my favorite. BWS is top talent and the Wolverine origin story to me at 10 years old had a significant impact. It holds up amazingly well too. I’m buying the trade for my girlfriends kid. We actually went into a local shop to get it the other day with no luck. Now that I’m reminded I’ll get on eBay for it

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

One of the best copper age runs too, probably my favorite. BWS is top talent and the Wolverine origin story to me at 10 years old had a significant impact. It holds up amazingly well too. I’m buying the trade for my girlfriends kid. We actually went into a local shop to get it the other day with no luck. Now that I’m reminded I’ll get on eBay for it

Some years ago I had an addiction of trying to collect the complete series.  It wasn't hard, although as stated before, there aren't any real valuable issues to slab nowadays besides 72 and maybe 19.  All-in-all the series is an awesome read of which I couldn't recommend more.  Glad I found another MCP junkie!  :banana:

Just bought that and the first two Venom trades for him. He’s super into Usagi Yojimbo and Bone but has been interested in super hero stuff so I got him DKR so far. Trying to get him the good stuff first. He’s 10 but really smart and a heavy reader so I think he’s up for whatever I give him. I also got him Elfquest and a bunch of Archie stuff

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Just bought that and the first two Venom trades for him. He’s super into Usagi Yojimbo and Bone but has been interested in super hero stuff so I got him DKR so far. Trying to get him the good stuff first. He’s 10 but really smart and a heavy reader so I think he’s up for whatever I give him. I also got him Elfquest and a bunch of Archie stuff

My wife and I bought our daughter comic books for toddlers and she loves 'um.  She also flips through the pages of all my 10 cent books and points out the characters she knows like the boilerplate Spider-Man, Superman, etc.  My daughter's name is Namora so she's got a good start.;)

Edited by sagekilz

On 1/22/2019 at 2:37 AM, Bart Allen said:

The most affordable Silver key:

No doubt Adventure comics 260. Its the First SA appearance of Aquaman, (though not officially recognized by cgc) should be up there in value with SC 22 and BB28, but the market is ignorant for the most part of its presence, and you can get a VG copy for user $100.

I guess you would call this more "undervalued" than affordable, but still very affordable.

Edited by HuddyBee

4 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

No doubt Adventure comics 260. Its the First SA appearance of Aquaman, (though not officially recognized by cgc) should be up there in value with SC 22 and BB28, but the market is ignorant for the most part of its presence, and you can get a VG copy for user $100.

I guess you would call this more "undervalued" than affordable, but still very affordable.

Crazy since on top of the fact its his first SA appearance its also his origin issue. Why does it say "1st Aquaman tryout issue" on showcase 30? Why is showcase 30 also stated as his origin? Whats going on?

I know very little about Aquaman but this is interesting.

3 hours ago, grayzr said:

Crazy since on top of the fact its his first SA appearance its also his origin issue. Why does it say "1st Aquaman tryout issue" on showcase 30? Why is showcase 30 also stated as his origin? Whats going on?

I know very little about Aquaman but this is interesting.

Man don't get me started. Showcase 30 was published over a year after AC 260, in SC 30 they retell the same origin as in AC 260. SC 30 is basically his first solo comic, its like SC, 4, 22, or 34, except its not the first SA appearance of the character. In AC 260 it is revealed that Aquaman is now, "Arthur Curry," and that he is Atlantean, and that his mother is Atlanna, all of this is new, and overrides is previous golden age character and origin as revealed in More Fun #73. 

Now, the reason why CGC or other grading companies don't write, "First appearance of the SA Aquaman" (make sure we keep in mind the difference between "First SA appearance", and "First appearance of the SA Aquaman) is because Aquaman was continually published as backup throughout the golden to silver age transition in Adventure Comics. So essentially it can be argued that the Aquaman in AC 259 is the same as in AC 260, however AC 260 is the first appearance of the new character as it is the first appearance of his new origin, and heck the first time he gets a name, Arthur Curry, other than Aquaman. This makes a pretty strong case for it being the first appearance of the SA Aquaman. Just how GL was revamped in SC 22 or how Flash was in SC 4 or Hawkman in BB 34, they have the same name, and in some cases look the same (heck the SA and GA Hawkman are practically identical) yet they are still considered revamps, and their respective issues are, "First appearance of the Silverage ____" Aquaman has 2 main versions just like GL and Flash a SA and GA version.

CGC used to label AC 260 as "First SA Origin of Aquaman," but they stopped that some years ago. Basically you have generally ill-informed buyers, who think SC 30 is the key to buy, because sellers market it dishonestly. It's not. Yes it's still important, and a key, but it is only his first solo book tryout, not his first appearance and not his #1 issue. It's basically the equivalent of AC 381 for Supergirl, just a first solo comic. AC 260 is the true and only, "First appearance of the SA Aquaman," and of course More Fun 73, "First appearance of Aquaman."

Both my copies of AC 260 I got for $20-40, though prices have risen a bit, an 0.5 and 2.5. I would highly recommend picking up a copy, as the markets ignorance has led to this book being extremely cheap for its rarity and importance. Its not a very common book, only 195 on census.

As always thank you for giving me the opportunity to spread news of AC 260. It is my one goal and only mission to have this key issue recognized for what it is. lol

P.S. Plenty of people do recognize this key, including the site comics.gocollect.com

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 10.19.17 PM.png

Edited by HuddyBee