• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Man don't get me started. Showcase 30 was published over a year after AC 260, in SC 30 they retell the same origin as in AC 260. SC 30 is basically his first solo comic, its like SC, 4, 22, or 34, except its not the first SA appearance of the character. In AC 260 it is revealed that Aquaman is now, "Arthur Curry," and that he is Atlantean, and that his mother is Atlanna, all of this is new, and overrides is previous golden age character and origin as revealed in More Fun #73. 

Now, the reason why CGC or other grading companies don't write, "First appearance of the SA Aquaman" (make sure we keep in mind the difference between "First SA appearance", and "First appearance of the SA Aquaman) is because Aquaman was continually published as backup throughout the golden to silver age transition in Adventure Comics. So essentially it can be argued that the Aquaman in AC 259 is the same as in AC 260, however AC 260 is the first appearance of the new character as it is the first appearance of his new origin, and heck the first time he gets a name, Arthur Curry, other than Aquaman. This makes a pretty strong case for it being the first appearance of the SA Aquaman. Just how GL was revamped in SC 22 or how Flash was in SC 4 or Hawkman in BB 34, they have the same name, and in some cases look the same (heck the SA and GA Hawkman are practically identical) yet they are still considered revamps, and their respective issues are, "First appearance of the Silverage ____" Aquaman has 2 main versions just like GL and Flash a SA and GA version.

CGC used to label AC 260 as "First SA Origin of Aquaman," but they stopped that some years ago. Basically you have generally ill-informed buyers, who think SC 30 is the key to buy, because sellers market it dishonestly. It's not. Yes it's still important, and a key, but it is only his first solo book tryout, not his first appearance and not his #1 issue. It's basically the equivalent of AC 381 for Supergirl, just a first solo comic. AC 260 is the true and only, "First appearance of the SA Aquaman," and of course More Fun 73, "First appearance of Aquaman."

Both my copies of AC 260 I got for $20-40, though prices have risen a bit, an 0.5 and 2.5. I would highly recommend picking up a copy, as the markets ignorance has led to this book being extremely cheap for its rarity and importance. Its not a very common book, only 195 on census.

As always thank you for giving me the opportunity to spread news of AC 260. It is my one goal and only mission to have this key issue recognized for what it is. lol

P.S. Plenty of people do recognize this key, including the site comics.gocollect.com

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 10.19.17 PM.png

My mind is blown. Thank you for sharing this information.

I also think the fact that he is not on the cover of AC 260 makes things worse.

I have never been a huge fan of Aquaman but after learning these facts I am on the hunt for AC 260, especially after doing some research of the value.

Probably the biggest might as well get it books out there.

45 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Man don't get me started. Showcase 30 was published over a year after AC 260, in SC 30 they retell the same origin as in AC 260. SC 30 is basically his first solo comic, its like SC, 4, 22, or 34, except its not the first SA appearance of the character. In AC 260 it is revealed that Aquaman is now, "Arthur Curry," and that he is Atlantean, and that his mother is Atlanna, all of this is new, and overrides is previous golden age character and origin as revealed in More Fun #73. 

Now, the reason why CGC or other grading companies don't write, "First appearance of the SA Aquaman" (make sure we keep in mind the difference between "First SA appearance", and "First appearance of the SA Aquaman) is because Aquaman was continually published as backup throughout the golden to silver age transition in Adventure Comics. So essentially it can be argued that the Aquaman in AC 259 is the same as in AC 260, however AC 260 is the first appearance of the new character as it is the first appearance of his new origin, and heck the first time he gets a name, Arthur Curry, other than Aquaman. This makes a pretty strong case for it being the first appearance of the SA Aquaman. Just how GL was revamped in SC 22 or how Flash was in SC 4 or Hawkman in BB 34, they have the same name, and in some cases look the same (heck the SA and GA Hawkman are practically identical) yet they are still considered revamps, and their respective issues are, "First appearance of the Silverage ____" Aquaman has 2 main versions just like GL and Flash a SA and GA version.

Tweaking characters or filling out their backstory is not the same as creating new characters from the same basic concept. There is no "SA Aquaman" like Barry Allen or Hal Jordan.

45 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Its not a very common book, only 195 on census.

The census is a pretty good reflection of what is (or was) worth submitting. But that's all it is. It is not a relevant gauge of the rarity of an issue.

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Tweaking characters or filling out their backstory is not the same as creating new characters from the same basic concept. There is no "SA Aquaman" like Barry Allen or Hal Jordan

Nope.

If a character was once a human, and then is releaved to be Atlantean, his powers change, and he is given a new name, its a reboot. There is a SA Aquaman just read AC 260 and More Fun 73, they are extremely different. If a character changes species between SA and GA name and powers, it is MOST DEFINITELY a reboot. 

GA Aquaman                                                                                   SA Aquaman

Human                                                                                             Half Atlantean/Human

No name                                                                                          Arthur Curry

Learned how to breath underwater (no actual superpowers)         Can breath underwater, and communicate with sea life. (these powers where tuned in and inherited)

Look above and compare it with Hawkman's reboot. Hawkman really underwent less changes than Aquaman, all he changed was species and origin, just like Aquaman, except Aquaman's powers changed as well.

The outline stays the same, but so much changes. Different Origin/Species different name, and new powers. There's no doubt its a reboot, and a whole new character.

You are wrong. It is no-where near just a "tweaking" or a "filling out," like you saw with Spectre or Phantom Stranger, its a hardcore reboot just like GL, Flash, and Hawkman. 

Just read the two different origins in More Fun 73 and AC 260, its very obvious.

Edited by HuddyBee

9 hours ago, grayzr said:

My mind is blown. Thank you for sharing this information.

I also think the fact that he is not on the cover of AC 260 makes things worse.

I have never been a huge fan of Aquaman but after learning these facts I am on the hunt for AC 260, especially after doing some research of the value.

Probably the biggest might as well get it books out there.

No problem, happy hunting!

1 hour ago, HuddyBee said:

Nope.

If a character was once a human, and then is releaved to be Atlantean, his powers change, and he is given a new name, its a reboot. There is a SA Aquaman just read AC 260 and More Fun 73, they are extremely different. If a character changes species between SA and GA name and powers, it is MOST DEFINITELY a reboot. 

GA Aquaman                                                                                   SA Aquaman

Human                                                                                             Half Atlantean/Human

No name                                                                                          Arthur Curry

Learned how to breath underwater (no actual superpowers)         Can breath underwater, and communicate with sea life. (these powers where tuned in and inherited)

Look above and compare it with Hawkman's reboot. Hawkman really underwent less changes than Aquaman, all he changed was species and origin, just like Aquaman, except Aquaman's powers changed as well.

The outline stays the same, but so much changes. Different Origin/Species different name, and new powers. There's no doubt its a reboot, and a whole new character.

You are wrong. It is no-where near just a "tweaking" or a "filling out," like you saw with Spectre or Phantom Stranger, its a hardcore reboot just like GL, Flash, and Hawkman. 

Just read the two different origins in More Fun 73 and AC 260, its very obvious.

Aquaman was just a backup character. He was one-dimensional and just good enough to fill some space. Did anything of even minor importance happen in any of his stories before that? As you said, they didn't even bother to give him a name! :whatthe:

What is the first appearance of the "SA Superman" then? Superman in the SA is significantly different than the character from Action Comics 1, so they must be completely different characters with separate first appearances, right?

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Aquaman was just a backup character. He was one-dimensional and just good enough to fill some space. Did anything of even minor importance happen in any of his stories before that? As you said, they didn't even bother to give him a name! :whatthe:

What is the first appearance of the "SA Superman" then? Superman in the SA is significantly different than the character from Action Comics 1, so they must be completely different characters with separate first appearances, right?

First SA Superman or current version is the first Superboy, although those differences are way more minor than Aquaman. Differences between SA and GA superman are just when he started fighting crime one as a boy the other as a man. The differences ae still not as great as GA v SA aquaman tho.

Edited by HuddyBee

12 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

CGC used to label AC 260 as "First SA Origin of Aquaman," but they stopped that some years ago. Basically you have generally ill-informed buyers, who think SC 30 is the key to buy, because sellers market it dishonestly. It's not. Yes it's still important, and a key, but it is only his first solo book tryout, not his first appearance and not his #1 issue. It's basically the equivalent of AC 381 for Supergirl, just a first solo comic. AC 260 is the true and only, "First appearance of the SA Aquaman," and of course More Fun 73, "First appearance of Aquaman."

Both my copies of AC 260 I got for $20-40, though prices have risen a bit, an 0.5 and 2.5. I would highly recommend picking up a copy, as the markets ignorance has led to this book being extremely cheap for its rarity and importance. Its not a very common book, only 195 on census.

As always thank you for giving me the opportunity to spread news of AC 260. It is my one goal and only mission to have this key issue recognized for what it is. lol

P.S. Plenty of people do recognize this key, including the site comics.gocollect.com

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 10.19.17 PM.png

This is some great information! Thanks for sharing!

36 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

A 9.8 just  sold for almost $5800

Seems expensive to me.(shrug)

Well maybe not that high a grade lol I remember in 2015 when a Special Marvel Edition #15 at 9.6 went for £165; it's just insane at how it's increased since the genesis of rumours Shang Chi will be appearing in the MCU to the point where it was confirmed only a few weeks ago; I mean I got my raw 7.0 for £7 in 2007 ~

Edited by Bart Allen

10 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Well maybe not that high a grade lol I remember in 2015 when a Special Marvel Edition #15 at 9.6 went for £165; it's just insane at how it's increased since the genesis of rumours Shang Chi will be appearing in the MCU to the point where it was confirmed only a few weeks ago; I mean I got my raw 7.0 for £7 in 2007 ~

The marvel movie machine can turn the drekkiest of drek bin fodder into gold.

6 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

A 9.8 just  sold for almost $5800

Seems expensive to me.(shrug)

Yep. And 9.0-9.4 are consistently selling for $1000-$1300. Expect another spike once the film reaches Black Panther-level cultural significance.

6 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The marvel movie machine can turn the drekkiest of drek bin fodder into gold.

It’s actually a pretty cool book.  I have a mid-grade copy that I scanned and was going to sell a few years ago, probably for about $10-15 at the time.  I read the book before I listed it, and I really liked the Starlin art, so I decided to hang onto it.

At current prices though... 🤪

12 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

1. Marvelman

2. The Real Ghostbusters #1

3. Special Marvel Edition #15 (still isn't too expensive)

4. New X-Men 133.

5. Tales to Astonish 62 - WHICH IS SOO CHEAP like WHYYY?

But I'm still suck on some Silver Age keys ~

Is It Tales To Astonish 62 or 63?

Tales To Astonish #52

Still get a 7.5 (or even an 8.0 with luck) for under $200

Black Knight rumours abound - Dane Whitman seems to be the current fave, but even then,Nathan Garrett surely has to feature - seems a no-brainer lead in to another Ant-Man or Wasp film as a baddie - thereby introducing Dane.

Who knows (shrug)