• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, IkewithMike said:
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Not technically or otherwise. The book includes the (very brief) story of how Spider-Man acquired the black costume. That's all. 

Agreed, Venom isn't Venom until the symbiote merged with Eddie Brock

Technically, the black suit is Venom.  Like it or not, it is the same entity.  There was an internal tug of war between the good of Peter and the aggressive nature of the entity/suit.    

2 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Technically, the black suit is Venom.  Like it or not, it is the same entity.  There was an internal tug of war between the good of Peter and the aggressive nature of the entity/suit.    

This is true. Perhaps it's just a personal preference for me to think that the entity of "Venom" wasn't really revealed until Eddie Brock came into the picture. Same with Carnage. It wasn't "Carnage" to me, until a bond with Cletus Cassidy.

2 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Any recommendations on any affordable Superman keys?

One thing that Superman has going is that its key issues - more so villain-based issues, often play second-fiddle to the likes of Batman and the Marvel entirety.

What's your definition of affordable, and what era are you looking at?

I'm shocked that Superman's biggest yet most undervalued key has yet to be discussed.... Superman 29. You may not know about its key status but since its the only Golden Age Superman I own it is definitely a huge key lol!  

Edited by Steelrain41

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Still Scooby Doo #1 (Gold Key)

I don't think you understand what "affordable" means. If you actually wanted to argue that it's the most undervalued, I'll also disagree with that.

Copper Age - Spawn 1 for sure (major 1st appearance for $10 is a winner)

Bronze - Micronauts 1 or X-Men 129 - both still very affordable

Silver - Pretty much any DC 1st appearance (like Showcase 80 with a killer cover and a solid character but still dirt cheap)

I was skimming back through the thread and I don’t think that it was mentioned, but I would think Starslayer #1 and 2 are affordable keys. 

I wouldn’t say “undervalues” as there’s clearly more than enough supply to meet demand. 

I’m always just surprised that they’re not in more demand. Rocketeer is such a great character and the movie, while a bit dated now, was a delight. 

Of course I’m just as guilty. I’ve got reading copies of the Rocketeer books, but procrastinated on getting high-grade comics of his first appearance. 

I also wonder why more hasn’t been done with the character. I guess part of it is that he was so closely associated with his creator who has passed. 

Edited by Number 6