• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I agree with the front cover problem, but the back cover isn't bad even if it's trapped inside a slab.

0176556003b_1200.jpg

It could be worse for a first appearance comic... it could be Jimmy Olsen #134.

You're right, of course,that's a beauty. I should turn mine around in the mylar!

There's no reason not to turn some slabs around in their mylars.

Here's another one that looks amazing sitting there "backwards":

0991466012b_1200.jpg

(Also a candidate for undervalued, though it's not a "key" it's a "key's little brother".)

On 2/7/2020 at 1:40 PM, Krismusic said:

image.thumb.png.587bc9212c3d7daf62824acff295e8c2.png

I think this is more of a first full appearance as her face is revealed.. 43 isn't as desired as she has appeared 2 times before 43... 

cameo appearances are not as valuable, this is much like the Hulk 180 vs 181 situation.  In this case ASM 25 & ASM 42, they are both the Hulk 180's.
In ASM 25 her face is not shown.
In ASM 42 she makes her notorious "face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot" line in the very last panel.  A legendary intro to be sure, but this would be the true Hulk 180 as it is the last panel of the book.
9515e22a6e64dc2ac1c685a1f4106cf0.jpg

ASM 43 she has multiple panels and pages.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-1963/Issue-43?id=4011&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=05658f2883f2bdcfc81b79fec7b68c53ed6cd3ab-1581634356-0-AcJ6YdY7LKX_8aOki2iM4FFJtizI5Bx1YKRubkBDMqjSDWqiOwYr4I5ti77yfxNYn8Gr_D4wLom5vIabwBwgC6Celid1zH6nyV8NUdMYmqolBQt2ALWBlLSkXQZGIKuBSzS7xe-KvTIS4UrH_qLdy-yxUe0NEirmx7ibQuUOPxlTd40qbp1SucFlwEqH-up5RopAQlPFYT10WCwLSFFJgbkj0SqWZUhSDWsNZiPNky6b7xUGCw0VeAuqMMc_7s2WB2-L-VP--UxySoJYRS3U97DqqKzDuUJcRGLUFdRF_9fW8UOsIQQx6KUiiN7x3JZVHAjx6SyZOEM-DeppYuLC260

It all comes down to your own personal definition of "First Appearance."   People will still beat the topic of Hulk 180/181 to death, but if we look at market value, buyers voted with their $ that 181 is the more important book.
It is interesting that she does not appear on either cover, so that is a factor in the confusion.  I think over time, as more people realize this to be the case and maybe even read the book, prices for the #43 will pull ahead of the #42.
I also think that for once CGC's labels actually got this one right.  Both 25 & 42 are annotated as cameo's.  43 is first full apearance.

Edited by 90sChild

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I was admiring my SS 2 when going through my Dave collection last week. I think the biggest obstacle for the book is that the Rocketeer isn't on the cover (or mentioned anywhere), and it's a Grell cover instead of Stevens. Still the first appearance of the character, still a great book, not debating that at all, but I think that's part of the problem with the book not really "taking off" so far.

I love the fact that its a "hidden" back up. No cover, no hype, just a beautiful B-Side for a good record. Kinda like a Bill Haley Rock Around the Clock. The record flopped but you play the B side and its a fuggin anthem... I mean Im not taking anything away from Mike Grells cover, but here youre talking about... damn... Dave effin Stevens... The modern king of cheesecake covers presented to us in a hidden back up story. Love it!

Another one which I think is undervalued is Evil Ernie 1... And same concept as Rocketeer... No appearance on the cover, no hype, but in the book tucked in neatly is the first appearance of the undisputed queen of modern tongue in cheek bad girl covers

And im not saying it cause I just recently got two copies :-D 

On 2/3/2020 at 9:44 AM, HuddyBee said:

Adventure Comics #260, the First Appearance of the Silver Age Aquaman. For a huge character like Aquaman, in a book that should be on par w/ Showcase 22 or at least Showcase 30 (the book that is often mistaken as said key), its price is ridiculous. You can pick up a low grade copy for around $50-70, and a mid grade for about $100-150. 

I just picked up a mid grade book for a bit more than that (still 30% below guide) because I do like Aquaman and it's good to have in case it dos heat up one day and I regret not purchasing it for cheaper when I could.

However, I don't think it will ever be on par with Showcase 22 or even Showcase 30. The big deal with Showcase 30 is that it's the first aquaman centric book. Kinda serves as an Aquaman 1 before he had a main series, and silver age 1s are hot keys for collectors. I kinda see it as Amazing 15 in a way where a character is given a shot in an antholgy book and is there on the cover (which is a big deal since covers become rather significant when that,s all you see in a slab). Of course, it's not his first appearance so that's where the comparison with AF 15 ends.

As for it being on par with Showcase 22, I don't see it. Again, not only are we missing the cover element, but for Aquaman particularly, he feels more like a retcon than a fully new character, unlike Hal Jordan. People can argue about that for sure, but the fact that there is such an argument to be had while there is no denying that Showcase 22 is the first apperance of a JLA mainstay kinda shows why they aren't on par.

I find Aquaman to be more like Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Green Arrow. A character from the Golden age that was given an update in the silver age. I am sure I am not the only one who feels that way, or else that book would at least sell for guide, if not much higher.

Just to reiterate, I like the book, I think it is a key, but not as big as the others mentioned and I am not sure if it will ever have it's due.

Edited by William-James88

On 2/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, 90sChild said:

I think over time, as more people realize this to be the case and maybe even read the book, prices for the #43 will pull ahead of the #42.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQCPpqowsl9yeCbFXVwG6KNECSHoKTrTEtSEEMcujdE0lD5855O

Has there ever been a change in market for a particular book being favoured over another one after decades of a consistent trend?

On 2/7/2020 at 3:00 PM, thunsicker said:

But the fact that his first appearance is much less valuable than X-Men 1 and especially Avengers 1 is a travesty.

I like your passion and since I have a Daredevil 1 rather than those other two, I would love it if it would go higher. It will but I still see it trailing behind X-Men 1. It's ridiculous how key X-Men 1 is in the grand scheme of things. Some books introduce a character or a team but this has a team made up of 6 characters that would go on to become mainstays and icons in the marvel universe along with one of the greatest villains (the greatest? up for debate). Just to say there is a lot going on in that book to keep it on top of others.

Edited by William-James88

8 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQCPpqowsl9yeCbFXVwG6KNECSHoKTrTEtSEEMcujdE0lD5855O

Has there ever been a change in market for a particular book being favoured over another one after decades of a consistent trend?

You are framing this statement as if #42 has already been recognized as more important than #43, I'm just curious why.  If we want to talk about decades of consistent trends, a last page single panel cameo rarely ever take priority over a first full appearance.

9 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

You are framing this statement as if #42 has already been recognized as more important than #43, I'm just curious why.  If we want to talk about decades of consistent trends, a last page single panel cameo rarely ever take priority over a first full appearance.

In this case, it has. Just looking at the market. That's the point of this whole thread right, affordable keys?  43 is claimed to be an affordable key as opposed to 42, that's a major clue right there. It's also been more expensive in the price guide for as long as I've been following it. I see no evidence that the demand for 43 is higher than 42.

1 hour ago, 90sChild said:

MJ in ASM 42 is not remotely comparable to the standard last-page-teaser-for-the-new-character-who-will-be-featured-next-issue. She is a regular human and a supporting character and she was already known to readers and the title character for many months without being really seen before her iconic proper introduction.

20 hours ago, William-James88 said:

As for it being on par with Showcase 22, I don't see it. Again, not only are we missing the cover element, but for Aquaman particularly, he feels more like a retcon than a fully new character, unlike Hal Jordan. People can argue about that for sure, but the fact that there is such an argument to be had while there is no denying that Showcase 22 is the first apperance of a JLA mainstay kinda shows why they aren't on par.

I find Aquaman to be more like Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Green Arrow. A character from the Golden age that was given an update in the silver age. I am sure I am not the only one who feels that way, or else that book would at least sell for guide, if not much higher.

I do understand this, and I don't think that AC 260 will ever be worth as much as SC 22. I only said this because I do think that Green Lantern and Aquaman are comparable in terms of popularity (Lantern has the edge). And Aquaman not on the cover does hurt. However I do consider it a hard reboot more akin to GL, Flash, Atom, and Hawkman. I understand why some wouldn't, however (I don't know if you have) if you read his origin in MF 73 and then AC 260. It does seem like a hard reboot. For instance WW/Supes/Batman didn't change their origins greatly, they didn't change their names drastically, nor their powers, and they sure as heck didn't change species. Aquaman did all 4 of these things going into the Silver Age which is why I consider it a full on reboot. 2c

People really just aren't aware of this. Which has led to some ignorance concerning Aquaman's SA and GA versions in the comic community. But I do think if people read these two comics and really do their research the market may change.

P.S. I have had plenty of discussions concerning this book in the past if you wanted to do anymore reading (thumbsu

2 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I do understand this, and I don't think that AC 260 will ever be worth as much as SC 22. I only said this because I do think that Green Lantern and Aquaman are comparable in terms of popularity (Lantern has the edge). And Aquaman not on the cover does hurt. However I do consider it a hard reboot more akin to GL, Flash, Atom, and Hawkman. I understand why some wouldn't, however (I don't know if you have) if you read his origin in MF 73 and then AC 260. It does seem like a hard reboot. For instance WW/Supes/Batman didn't change their origins greatly, they didn't change their names drastically, nor their powers, and they sure as heck didn't change species. Aquaman did all 4 of these things going into the Silver Age which is why I consider it a full on reboot. 2c

People really just aren't aware of this. Which has led to some ignorance concerning Aquaman's SA and GA versions in the comic community. But I do think if people read these two comics and really do their research the market may change.

P.S. I have had plenty of discussions concerning this book in the past if you wanted to do anymore reading (thumbsu

Haha, sure I don't mind doing more reading, by all means send some links.

To answer the bolded part, yes seeing it as a hard reboot does make sense, I agree with that. But a reboot is still regarding the same character (like Andrew Garfield's spider-man being a reboot of Tobey Maguire's Spider-man with different power sets and such). Hence why I don't find Silver Age Flash or Green Lantern (or the Human Torch on Marvel's side) to be hard reboots. I personally see them as new characters. The analogy with hawkman is perfect though, I 100% agree on that, they are very similar that way in terms of their publication history and their changes in character from gold to silver.

13 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

What's the price range of 'affordable"?

I think "affordable" means mostly that the book hasn't exploded yet or reached its full potential.  It also means price relative to other keys in the era.  For example, Daredevil 1 is more expensive than NM 98, but Daredevil 1 would be considered an affordable key while people would probably have many other copper options in mind before putting NM 98 in that category.