• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

And no, I wouldn't compare FF48 to MSE15.  FF48 introduced a wider cosmic base to Marvel with 2 characters that have had characters with their own impact on the larger Marvel Universe.
I don't know of many people out buying MSE15 before the movie announcement.

Still, I think a book can eventually become a key.  It's not like being a key is so set in stone.  FF52 would be a better example.  Sure he's had his own comics but wasn't as big as it is now.

even though a lot of people didnt buy mse15 it was still always a key and its not like it was super cheap also

2 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Again, I don’t see the 1st appearance of Beta Ray Bill as a key, before, during, or after the movie hype fades away

Isn't Beta Ray Bill a "key" villain for Thor?  Also the book has an amazing Simonson cover.  

The argument for MSE15 is that it is the first Asian American superhero with the first Asian superhero movie coming.  That's not a "key"?

Meh this discussion has been had before many a times on this forum.  Like I said before, to each their own.

CxzRW9s.gif

2 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Isn't Beta Ray Bill a "key" villain for Thor?  Also the book has an amazing Simonson cover.  

The argument for MSE15 is that it is the first Asian American superhero with the first Asian superhero movie coming.  That's not a "key"?

Meh this discussion has been had before many a times on this forum.  Like I said before, to each their own.

CxzRW9s.gif

hes not a villian I dont remember much but I think  he replaces thor in the comics, hes def a important charcter and they teased him in the mcu and thor 337 has such a good cover so  it should def be a key

4 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

CxzRW9s.gif

Yes, definitely beating a dead horse.

5 minutes ago, Bax77 said:

lol at least I'm not trying to scam people into thinking there are 14,000 keys. 

Not every new Hot 10 comic every single week is a key....but there are books added to the list over time.

That's just a fact.  Not every book you consider a key was always a key.

edit: no i'm not the guy from the key collector app if thats what you are insinuating 

Edited by Keys_Collector

2 minutes ago, Bax77 said:

You sure about that? hm

Yep, 2 different people.  I created my screen name on here and Instagram without knowing about the app or him.  You can check my Instagram page.  I don't post spec books or flip books.  Plenty of people know me on there.  But if you want to come up with a conspiracy theory then go right ahead.  

Key use to refer to real important books, now it seems to mean every book with potential to increase in value and make the owner money. Key now is every first appearance or #1, 2, 50, 100.... etc issue. The comic hobby has changed drastically over the past 20 years, its amazing to see the changes. I guess a lot has to do with the internet and social media. Add to that the boom in the comic movie industry and what that has done to every comic first appearance no matter how big or small.

27 minutes ago, littledoom said:

1st Beta Ray Bill has been a key for decades .. it's been a wall book and in many's want/wish lists.. just a first appearance of a major Thor character even before the first Thor movie came out..

A lot of books are ‘wall’ books simply because their dollar value exceeds whatever dollar value the store owner/dealer is comfortable with leaving in the back issue bins as potential targets for theft

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

CxzRW9s.gif

I love it. Shang Chi giving beta ray bill a beat down. 

Definition of key usually goes by how long you been collecting and or how much money you have. Longer you been collecting prior to 2010 the more true keys you have. I been collecting over 40 years so my definition of key will be different then someone collecting for 5 years. Thor has been around for centuries, so not much originality. Yet it has always been popular. People don't collect the first comic book Appearance of Zeus or Perseus etc. People hardly care about Hercules or John Carter. But another dude who dresses like thor but has a different hammer and horse head, how key is that? Not too original. Shang Chi was just marvel jumping in on the martial arts craze sweeping America. Didn't they want a Bruce lee comic but couldn't work out a deal or something? I dont remember but just some Asian martial arts guy to jump on the bandwagon, nothing too original. Black Cat, already had black cat comics and cat woman, totally a major key. Carnage is just a red venom. Tons of these. To me just because you change a characters age,race,gender,species doesn't make the new character a key. It's just a gimmick. Hal Jordan is a lot different than Alan Scott. But does ever person since to become green lantern have to be considered a key? Oh wow there is a black guy, woman, transgender doing same thing as Hal. Omg how key, so exciting. 

1 hour ago, Myowncollector said:

I love it. Shang Chi giving beta ray bill a beat down. 

Definition of key usually goes by how long you been collecting and or how much money you have. Longer you been collecting prior to 2010 the more true keys you have. I been collecting over 40 years so my definition of key will be different then someone collecting for 5 years. Thor has been around for centuries, so not much originality. Yet it has always been popular. People don't collect the first comic book Appearance of Zeus or Perseus etc. People hardly care about Hercules or John Carter. But another dude who dresses like thor but has a different hammer and horse head, how key is that? Not too original. Shang Chi was just marvel jumping in on the martial arts craze sweeping America. Didn't they want a Bruce lee comic but couldn't work out a deal or something? I dont remember but just some Asian martial arts guy to jump on the bandwagon, nothing too original. Black Cat, already had black cat comics and cat woman, totally a major key. Carnage is just a red venom. Tons of these. To me just because you change a characters age,race,gender,species doesn't make the new character a key. It's just a gimmick. Hal Jordan is a lot different than Alan Scott. But does ever person since to become green lantern have to be considered a key? Oh wow there is a black guy, woman, transgender doing same thing as Hal. Omg how key, so exciting. 

I get the sentiment on length of collecting related to what you consider keys. It goes without saying though (for some reason people on these boards dont get it) that a new generation will spawn new keys. Ive been collecting for 25+ years and dont need to jump on a bandwagon to see that there will be new keys for the next generation. Miles Morales is much more than a gimmick.  His character so far is beloved by many and collectors both young and old seek out his 1st appearance. 

6 minutes ago, Bax77 said:

Not if we can help it! :sumo:

And why does it go without saying? Because you said it?

I don't think YOU get it. The Old School is not going to let some new collector fanboy flippers tell us ASM #36 is now a key because it's the first time his web shooters go "thwip". (Actual example doh!)

Talk about "get off my lawn".  The world doesn't revolve around you or only collectors from a certain generation. 

11 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Not that I want to get into the back and forth that's blossoming here, but Thor 337, whether you choose to classify it as a key or not, has been important for decades, not just because of BRB but it's also the beginning of Simonson's run on the title, which is generally hailed as one of the best of the 80's, so it has carried extra weight because of that. When I began collecting in the late 80's, it was already a big deal. Those that were active at the time can chime in as to whether the impact was immediate or not, but it's been one of the 80's milestones for as long as I've been collecting. Similar to Moore, Miller, Byrne, etc. starting on various titles, or Morrison more recently, these books used to really be a marker of significance because of their impact in the titles and the industry as a whole.

That’s very true