• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman...the DC Trinity, all had their start in the Golden Age.  By comparison, Marvel had Captain America, Subby and the Human Torch.  So, yes, DC's Golden Age established more significant characters than Marvel's.

However, for Silver Age, its not even close and you know it.

And where did I say it was close? Are you in politics or journalism? They way you deflect and turn things around is incredible.

And Subby and Human Torch are totally comparable to DCs golden age characters. Heck maybe even more popular. 

Edited by Myowncollector
Add more

7 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

And where did I say it was close? Are you in politics or journalism? They way deflect and turn things around is incredible.

And Subby and Human Torch are totally comparable to DCs golden age characters. Heck maybe even more popular. 

I was merely trying to follow your twist on things.

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I was merely trying to follow your twist on things.

I was just following your twist. Your rationale why asm 300 isnt a key. Venom is at least fairly original. Xmen fantastic four just knock offs of other things. Stan and the gang made them popular for sure. Spiderman pretty original. So is hulk. 

Key is whatever you want to call a key. I been collecting for over 40 years and my father collected before me. Even I consider asm 300 a key. Spawn 1 is a key. A first Appearance of someone that is somewhat original and popular and known is a key to me regardless of age, print run, value.

2 hours ago, silversufer27 said:

Yea but it’s a newer comic lol venom wouldn’t work in the silver age and even if it did the comic would be wayyy more money maybe one of the most expensive comics ever 

I agree it's a key but let's not get carried away.

DC Affordable Silver Keys/semi-keys:

Hawkman 4 Ist Zatanna

Showcase 80 1st Phantom Stranger

Strange Adventures 180/181 1st Animal Man

Brave and the Bold 33 1st Silver Hawkman

Tales of the Unexpected 43 1st Space Ranger

Note: I own all these except for the Strange Adventures...sold a few months ago for the Hawkman 4.

Edited by johnenock

23 hours ago, johnenock said:

DC Affordable Silver Keys/semi-keys:

Hawkman 4 Ist Zatanna

Showcase 80 1st Phantom Stranger

Strange Adventures 180/181 1st Animal Man

Brave and the Bold 33 1st Silver Hawkman

Tales of the Unexpected 43 1st Space Ranger

Note: I own all these except for the Strange Adventures...sold a few months ago for the Hawkman 4.

Nobody cares about Tales of the Unexpected 43... 1st app of Space Ranger is Showcase 15

Was in the middle of working when I wrote the above post....

Yes, first silver P.S. very cheap and not very many around in HG and an Adams cover.

I meant 34 on the Hawkman...must be getting old:preach:

And yeah, I forgot about showcase 15, but I care about 43...awesome greytone cover!

Edited by johnenock

55 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

If you look at it

Ironman 55

Thanos is a massive villain, and if his first appearance had come in Amazing Spider-Man, we would be talking about a 9.8 somewhere in the IH 181 range.

Not sure I agree with this.  Thanos not being on the cover hurts the value nor is it considered any type of classic cover.  It is valued appropriately IMO.

3 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Not sure I agree with this.  Thanos not being on the cover hurts the value nor is it considered any type of classic cover.  It is valued appropriately IMO.

Kingpin isn't on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man 50 and that book valued in 9.8 is about $58,000 (recent sale at HA) about 10 times the fair market value of a 9.8 IronMan 55

Granted the book came out 6 years after ASM 50, but there are more then just Thanos first appearance in the book and there are more graded 9.8s then ASM 50

But yes ASM 50 is arguably one of the most iconic covers in the history of comics, I just think the valuation of IM 55 is 'affordable' for most determined collectors.

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Kingpin isn't on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man 50 and that book valued in 9.8 is about $58,000 (recent sale at HA) about 10 times the fair market value of a 9.8 IronMan 55

Granted the book came out 6 years after ASM 50, but there are more then just Thanos first appearance in the book and there are more graded 9.8s then ASM 50

But yes ASM 50 is arguably one of the most iconic covers in the history of comics, I just think the valuation of IM 55 is 'affordable' for most determined collectors.

spiderman 50 has a iconic cover and iron man 55 has a pretty bad cover and spiderman is way more popular than iron man

5 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

spiderman 50 has a iconic cover and iron man 55 has a pretty bad cover and spiderman is way more popular than iron man

My entire point as to why IM 55 is an affordable 'key' comic, as I stated if Thanos first appearance came in ASM it would be priced around IH 181 in equal grade

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

My entire point as to why IM 55 is an affordable 'key' comic, as I stated if Thanos first appearance came in ASM it would be priced around IH 181 in equal grade

even if he 1st appered in a spiderman comic 1st it wouldnt be in hulk 181 range thats for sure maybe more like fantastic four 48's value