• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Scooby 1 is a very difficult book to find above 7.0.  The same can be said for subsequent issues.  Regardless, I am in disagreement with the statement that this is a ‘movie’ property rather than a comic book property. Time will tell...

Scooby-Doo is neither a movie property nor a comic property. It originated as a cartoon. Like most other popular entertainment properties, it has been adapted to other media.

19 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Scooby-Doo is neither a movie property nor a comic property. It originated as a cartoon. Like most other popular entertainment properties, it has been adapted to other media.

Yeah, this point seems to keep flying over people's heads, and it confuses me. TMNT were a comic property that was translated into other media like cartoons, movies and toys. Scooby Doo is a cartoon character that had tie-in merchandise such as comics. They're not comparable.

I like fantastic four 18, 1st super skrull. It’s flying under the radar even with the skrulls entering the mcu...with Disney now having his rights I don’t think he will lag too far behind. Even without the movies...super skrull is a great villain. 

On February 5, 2019 at 10:28 AM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, this point seems to keep flying over people's heads, and it confuses me. TMNT were a comic property that was translated into other media like cartoons, movies and toys. Scooby Doo is a cartoon character that had tie-in merchandise such as comics. They're not comparable.

So the topic of this post is to find the most affordable key comic book right?  So let's just say some characters originated in comics, cartoons or movie properties and all origins are just fine as long as that character made it into a key comic we can compare them to see which is more affordable and "more key".

When I compare TMNT and Scooby I see Scooby #1 as clearly more affordable and as far as more key, well Scooby is certainly rarer when you compare the CGC census and the eBay raw comic availability. Does that mean it's more key, not necessarily but it certainly helps!

22 hours ago, jefecabra said:

So the topic of this post is to find the most affordable key comic book right?  So let's just say some characters originated in comics, cartoons or movie properties and all origins are just fine as long as that character made it into a key comic we can compare them to see which is more affordable and "more key".

When I compare TMNT and Scooby I see Scooby #1 as clearly more affordable and as far as more key, well Scooby is certainly rarer when you compare the CGC census and the eBay raw comic availability. Does that mean it's more key, not necessarily but it certainly helps!

I think Scooby is a cool book and I can see why people like it, but I don't see anything "key" about it. But people should buy what they like!

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I think Scooby is a cool book and I can see why people like it, but I don't see anything "key" about it. But people should buy what they like!

People just really love the character. One of the best cartoons of the 60s and 70s.

Classic show. Just massive appeal for all ages and generations for the comic books to have some juice.

This youtube video got over 30 million views.

14 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

People just really love the character. One of the best cartoons of the 60s and 70s.

Classic show. Just massive appeal for all ages and generations for the comic books to have some juice.

This youtube video got over 30 million views.

First appearance Scooby Doo is high demand an high dollar too , just like Richie rich🆒🆒‼️👍

THIS is the sleeper!

Wait until DC make a movie about a guitar playing hippy who zips around the USA on a scooter.

Starring Justin Beiber as 'Scooter'

it'll be huge I tells ya, HUGE!

SWING_WITH_SCOOTER_.jpe.4841689c99db9ef7bbb292322b1e24ee.jpe

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Why was it recalled?

Well Spawn 293 hasn't been recalled (yet at least) but one to be unofficially recalled was Spider-Man: Reign #1 in 2006 (both the red and blue versions) because of a nude panel of Peter Parker ~

"Cover C is being recalled due to misprint. Suppose to be Black And White interiors but these were sent out with colored pages. Retailers were not instructed to return or destroy, but replacements being sent out. Thanks to Pensacola Pop Comics and bcdawg97 for the info on the recall."

23 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I don’t understated what you don’t get about this book being a key.  It is the 1st appearance of Scooby and gang in a comic book, and has been in print by various publishers for nearly 40 years.  Scooby and gang are arguably more recognizable worldwide than TMNT, and it’s damn tough to find a #1 in decent shape.

if you don’t like this analogy, then think of the 1st Peanuts (Charlie Brown and gang) in comics.  As you know, they appeared in a newspaper strip before being published in comics.  The characters are beloved worldwide and their 1st comic is difficult to find in any grade.  Demand far outweighs supply and it is an extremely undervalued key, similar to Scooby Doo #1.

just because the character’s first appearance was in another medium, we shouldn’t disqualify their comics appearances from being non-keys.

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don’t understated what you don’t get about this book being a key.  It is the 1st appearance of Scooby and gang in a comic book, and has been in print by various publishers for nearly 40 years.  Scooby and gang are arguably more recognizable worldwide than TMNT, and it’s damn tough to find a #1 in decent shape.

if you don’t like this analogy, then think of the 1st Peanuts (Charlie Brown and gang) in comics.  As you know, they appeared in a newspaper strip before being published in comics.  The characters are beloved worldwide and their 1st comic is difficult to find in any grade.  Demand far outweighs supply and it is an extremely undervalued key, similar to Scooby Doo #1.

just because the character’s first appearance was in another medium, we shouldn’t disqualify their comics appearances from being non-keys.

Relax. Take a breath. Have some dip.

First of all, it's not that I "don't get" what you're saying. I "get it". I just don't agree. I don't understand how you "don't understand" that. We're not dealing with facts, here. We're dealing with opinions. Ask ten different people what makes a key comic, you'll probably get ten different answers. I'm one of the ones that thinks merchandising tie-ins for children's cartoon properties don't really make the cut, regardless of how many people like talking dogs. You clearly are in another camp. There's room for both of us.

We have a disagreement over what "key" means. I tend to think the term is grossly overused. I believe that simply being difficult to find doesn't make something a "key", nor does being valuable (though valuable books are often valuable because enough people agreed with one another that they are indeed "keys".)  In my opinion, Scooby Doo #1 isn't a "key" book. You believe it is. Which one of us would have more supporters if the question were thrown up to the entire comic collecting community? Who cares? I don't.

I'd posit that Scooby Doo #1 is a key book if you collect Scooby Doo comics, sure. It's integral to the run, I'd say. How many Scooby Doo comic book collectors are there in the world? I have no idea. Probably more than 10, but less than a million (but I'd wager it's closer to 10.)  It's also a key book if you're working on a Gold Key collection. But a recognized "key" in the collecting community at large? Hmmm, not sure. There are some books that are indisputable keys, that every collector agrees on. Action 1, Tec 27, AF15? Yes, sure. Hulk 181? Probably, yes. Hulk 180? Hmm, in my opinion it should be, but you're definitely not going to get 100% agreement on that one. By the time we get all the way down to " Is Scooby Doo #1 a key?", it's pretty thin soup. 

In conclusion: Scooby Doo #1 is a key if you want it to be. To me, it's not. There's only room in my heart for one Gold Key talking animal #1 book, and that, my friends, is the incredible MISTER ED THE TALKING HORSE #1! FIGHT ME!

On 1/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, Wolverinex said:

Obviously our definitions of keys are different.  655 is a key to me because its the first appearance of Damian Wayne.  That's it.  Yes, he is a rude SOB but he will ultimately take the mantel of batman... and is pretty cool in my book.    I also think it's affordable at this time and priced lower; however, it will change.  I would not negate the fact that its a key just because its cheaper at this time point.  

If anyone is banking on Damian taking over the mantel as Batman, then they should be stocking up on 666 too. 1st Damian as Batman