• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bart Allen said:

That's like saying The Incredible Hulk #181 isn't a key issue, as it's just another comic featuring Wolverine ~

That is not the same at all. And I was explicit in saying this was a personal opinion. You wanted to know why it was cheap and I helped. 

Now you just want to argue about it and I won't be playing. So please, back off.

8 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

The first full appearance of Mary Jane, and the origins of Rhino isn't a key?

her first appearance is ASM 25

8 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

The first full appearance of Mary Jane, and the origins of Rhino isn't a key?

also I think first full app is 42 

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

That is not the same at all. And I was explicit in saying this was a personal opinion. You wanted to know why it was cheap and I helped. 

Now you just want to argue about it and I won't be playing. So please, back off.

Ditto, I'm giving my opinion too (that you're wrong); you responded - and I'm responding. I have no more to say :x

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

her first appearance is ASM 25

59 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

also I think first full app is 42 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Bart Allen

1 minute ago, Bart Allen said:

Ditto, I'm giving my opinion too; you responded - and I'm responding.

s-l1600.jpg

image.thumb.png.587bc9212c3d7daf62824acff295e8c2.png

I think this is more of a first full appearance as her face is revealed.. 43 isn't as desired as she has appeared 2 times before 43... 

4 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Ditto, I'm giving my opinion too (that you're wrong); you responded - and I'm responding. I have no more to say :x

also just because CGC has a note on the label doesn't mean its always correct go look up ASM 252 and Spidery black costume there are older labels with different information on it compared to newer labels... 

Thanks for being snarky... (thumbsu

26 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

also just because CGC has a note on the label doesn't mean its always correct go look up ASM 252 and Spidery black costume there are older labels with different information on it compared to newer labels... 

Thanks for being snarky... (thumbsu

True, but at the same time that doesn't mean it's the same in the case - but you're right, until proven otherwise :3

And that message was to William, by the way xD

Edited by Bart Allen

18 hours ago, William-James88 said:
On 1/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, joeypost said:

Silver is Daredevil #1. Compare a 9.4 DD #1 to an ASM 1, Hulk 1 or FF 1 in the same grade. It is a fraction of the price. 

Because he's not as popular. Even Marvel knew that, hence why he was relegated to the small screen.

Not at the current time, certainly.  In the late 70's through early/mid 80's, when I first started collecting, he was one of Marvel's most popular characters.  Even in the late '80's when I had my store I would have gladly traded you Fantastic Four/Hulk/Iron Man/Thor comics straight up for Miller Daredevils as that was what collectors were buying.  Well that and Claremont/Byrne X-Men.  I have no doubt his day will come again.  That said the main thing keeping DD #1 down is that, with it's '64 cover date more copies have survived and in high grade as well.  But the fact that his first appearance is much less valuable than X-Men 1 and especially Avengers 1 is a travesty.

Edited by thunsicker

Starslayer #2 has plenty of room to grow - esp with Disney+ doing many exciting things

Destroyer Duck #1 seriously undervalued

1st Issue Special #8 - a totally dead property which held as much market share with DC as Shang Chi did with Marvel. Great stories and art hold this one higher than most of the crash and burn runs DC/Marvel had in the 70s-80s. 

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

Not at the current time, certainly.  In the late 70's through early/mid 80's, when I first started collecting, he was one of Marvel's most popular characters.  Even in the late '80's when I had my store I would have gladly traded you Fantastic Four/Hulk/Iron Man/Thor comics straight up for Miller Daredevils as that was what collectors were buying.  Well that and Claremont/Byrne X-Men.  I have no doubt his day will come again.  That said the main thing keeping DD #1 down is that, with it's '64 cover date more copies have survived and in high grade as well.  But the fact that his first appearance is much less valuable than X-Men 1 and especially Avengers 1 is a travesty.

What is super cool about Daredevil 1, and why I can definitely see the potential, is that in 1 comic you have a popular character's first appearance, him on the cover and the first issue of his own series. For other characters, that can be 2-3 different keys (wolverine, for instance).

I think all he needs is to be part of the cinematic MCU and on the big screen in a good movie for the comic's value to achieve new heights.

On 1/22/2019 at 2:37 AM, Bart Allen said:

I was thinking recently as to what would fall in the category of the most affordable key book. A true key book: first appearances, early appearances, origin stories, iconic cover art, classic stories etc. Personally I'm a bit unsure ~

The most affordable Gold key:

About golden age, here are some affordable keys. And if you don't care about these key issues, then that's the reason they are still affordable :bigsmile:

Captain Marvel Adventures 79 

Captain Marvel Adventures 125

Captain Marvel Adventures 26 (picking up big time lately)

For silver age, I find Showcase 37 to be rather affordable

Now for modern, well I went on a shopping spree to a local comic book warehouse yesterday to see all the books being discussed above and bought the following for these prices (some are higher than e-bay but I can see them in hand and can buy it all at once without having to have 10 different shipped orders). All of these are at least standard near mint / off the rack grade.

Sword of Azrael, complete set for $15

Alpha flight 33 $6

Alpha Flight 51 $7

Batman 436 $3

Detective Comics 586 $3

Daredevil 197 $3

Transformers 53 $3

Uncanny X-Men 221 $11

Uncanny X-Men 244 (newstand) $22

Uncanny X-Men 282 $3

Uncanny X-Men 316 $3

New X-Men 117 $3

New X-Men 118 $3

New X-Men 129 $8

New X-Men 133 $3

New X-Men 134 $3

New X-Men 135 $3

New X-Men 144 $3

New Mutants 16 $8

Mighty Thor 337 $75

Batman LOTDK 120 $8

Batman 655 $15

X-Factor 5 $3

X-Factor 24 $8

Amazing Spider-man Annual 16 (Canadian edition) $15

Edited by William-James88

On 2/7/2020 at 3:27 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Starslayer #2 has plenty of room to grow - esp with Disney+ doing many exciting things

One of the earliest "comic book movies" after Batman (1989), Rocketeer (1991 movie) first appeared in Starslayer #2 (1982).  If Rocketeer was being released in 2021 instead of 1991, Starslayer #2 would probably look more like Albedo #2.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

One of the earliest "comic book movies" after Batman (1989), Rocketeer (1991 movie) first appeared in Starslayer #2 (1982).  If Rocketeer was being released in 2021 instead of 1991, Starslayer #2 would probably look more like Albedo #2.

I was admiring my SS 2 when going through my Dave collection last week. I think the biggest obstacle for the book is that the Rocketeer isn't on the cover (or mentioned anywhere), and it's a Grell cover instead of Stevens. Still the first appearance of the character, still a great book, not debating that at all, but I think that's part of the problem with the book not really "taking off" so far.

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

I was admiring my SS 2 when going through my Dave collection last week. I think the biggest obstacle for the book is that the Rocketeer isn't on the cover (or mentioned anywhere), and it's a Grell cover instead of Stevens. Still the first appearance of the character, still a great book, not debating that at all, but I think that's part of the problem with the book not really "taking off" so far.

I agree with the front cover problem, but the back cover isn't bad even if it's trapped inside a slab.

0176556003b_1200.jpg

It could be worse for a first appearance comic... it could be Jimmy Olsen #134.

Just now, valiantman said:

I agree with the front cover problem, but the back cover isn't bad even if it's trapped inside a slab.

0176556003b_1200.jpg

It could be worse for a first appearance comic... it could be Jimmy Olsen #134.

You're right, of course,that's a beauty. I should turn mine around in the mylar!