• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, jefecabra said:

I’ve always thought the underdog gold key series is ripe for a large increase in price

FB34C6F0-5B3A-4461-88F6-7DA4CF011C18.jpeg

i got in trouble as a kid for waking up too early on a saturday to watch underdog. always liked it, and mighty mouse too. 

On 2/17/2020 at 12:50 AM, Lazyboy said:

MJ in ASM 42 is not remotely comparable to the standard last-page-teaser-for-the-new-character-who-will-be-featured-next-issue. She is a regular human and a supporting character and she was already known to readers and the title character for many months without being really seen before her iconic proper introduction.

Agree with this.  MJ just didn't suddenly appear on the last page of 42.  Well, I guess she does, but there were months (years?) of build up to her iconic intro.  This wasn't/isn't Wolverine popping up on the final page of a book "Hey!  fight me!  I'm the Wolverine".  MJ was years of laying the groundwork.  

Even Galactus in FF48, while just a "cameo" by definition (one panel, last page) is more of a 1st appearance as the entire issue revolved around him coming to Earth.  So, while he only had the one page appearance in that issue, it's still different than Wolverine.    

On 4/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, littledoom said:

Daredevil 232 1st Nuke.. only $15 on a good day... hes a filler thug... imagine if Punisher 2004 came out in 2024.. what would ppl pay for the first Russian?

You do know that Nuke played a major role in Jessica Jones, right?

On 2/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, F For Fake said:

Relax. Take a breath. Have some dip.

First of all, it's not that I "don't get" what you're saying. I "get it". I just don't agree. I don't understand how you "don't understand" that. We're not dealing with facts, here. We're dealing with opinions. Ask ten different people what makes a key comic, you'll probably get ten different answers. I'm one of the ones that thinks merchandising tie-ins for children's cartoon properties don't really make the cut, regardless of how many people like talking dogs. You clearly are in another camp. There's room for both of us.

We have a disagreement over what "key" means. I tend to think the term is grossly overused. I believe that simply being difficult to find doesn't make something a "key", nor does being valuable (though valuable books are often valuable because enough people agreed with one another that they are indeed "keys".)  In my opinion, Scooby Doo #1 isn't a "key" book. You believe it is. Which one of us would have more supporters if the question were thrown up to the entire comic collecting community? Who cares? I don't.

I'd posit that Scooby Doo #1 is a key book if you collect Scooby Doo comics, sure. It's integral to the run, I'd say. How many Scooby Doo comic book collectors are there in the world? I have no idea. Probably more than 10, but less than a million (but I'd wager it's closer to 10.)  It's also a key book if you're working on a Gold Key collection. But a recognized "key" in the collecting community at large? Hmmm, not sure. There are some books that are indisputable keys, that every collector agrees on. Action 1, Tec 27, AF15? Yes, sure. Hulk 181? Probably, yes. Hulk 180? Hmm, in my opinion it should be, but you're definitely not going to get 100% agreement on that one. By the time we get all the way down to " Is Scooby Doo #1 a key?", it's pretty thin soup. 

In conclusion: Scooby Doo #1 is a key if you want it to be. To me, it's not. There's only room in my heart for one Gold Key talking animal #1 book, and that, my friends, is the incredible MISTER ED THE TALKING HORSE #1! FIGHT ME!

In fact, I went to four different estate sales in October & November 2019 and January & February 2020 (last estate sales before lockdown). Each estate sales had Scooby Doo #1.  I picked it up only one so far after 3rd estate sales.  There were plenty of old comic books but they went after Scooby Doo #1 only.  I got one. It was about 4.0 - yes I paid $75.   Last year, I went to Antique Mall and found one for only $50. It was about 5.0.

Last in five years, I managed to find only 3 copies nothing above 5.0. Nothing in the comic conventions. Not even in the comic book stores.  It's tough to find it anywhere.  It's already 50 years old in compare of 36 years old TMNT #1.

Edited by JollyComics

On 4/10/2020 at 1:45 PM, chrisco37 said:

Agree with this.  MJ just didn't suddenly appear on the last page of 42.  Well, I guess she does, but there were months (years?) of build up to her iconic intro.  This wasn't/isn't Wolverine popping up on the final page of a book "Hey!  fight me!  I'm the Wolverine".  MJ was years of laying the groundwork.  

Even Galactus in FF48, while just a "cameo" by definition (one panel, last page) is more of a 1st appearance as the entire issue revolved around him coming to Earth.  So, while he only had the one page appearance in that issue, it's still different than Wolverine.    

You're talking about story continuity going back to ASM #25 where she is only mentioned and never shown.  You have to remember that there is a big difference between appearing in story continuity and being considered a first full appearance, they are two things that do not always get along well.  As far as 'first appearance' collectors are concerned story continuity usually takes a back seat.  Either side can justify why they are right but to me, a single panel on the last page is still just a single panel on the last page.  90% of other first appearances are handled this same way so it should be kept consistent.  I could make a list but it would never end.  Taskmaster in Avengers #195/196, Galactus in FF #48/49, Gambit Annual #14/ X-Men #266,  Starjammers X-Men #104/#107, Carnage ASM #360/#361, Venom ASM #299/#300, Apocalypse  X-Factor #5/#6,.  The cameo is always considered less important.

Edited by 90sChild

3 hours ago, 90sChild said:

You're talking about story continuity going back to ASM #25 where she is only mentioned and never shown.  You have to remember that there is a big difference between appearing in story continuity and being considered a first full appearance, they are two things that do not always get along well.  As far as 'first appearance' collectors are concerned story continuity usually takes a back seat.  Either side can justify why they are right but to me, a single panel on the last page is still just a single panel on the last page.  90% of other first appearances are handled this same way so it should be kept consistent.  I could make a list but it would never end.  Taskmaster in Avengers #195/196, Galactus in FF #48/49, Gambit Annual #14/ X-Men #266,  Starjammers X-Men #104/#107, Carnage ASM #360/#361, Venom ASM #299/#300, Apocalypse  X-Factor #5/#6,.  The cameo is always considered less important.

Comics contain stories. Context matters. The art does matter because it is an integral part of the story, but it is only part of the story (except in a handful of cases that rarely involve any kind of first appearance).

There can't and won't ever be consistency because all appearances, first or otherwise, are not equal. Characters are not all equal, either.

Captain 3D #1 from Harvey is tied with The Thing #12 for Steve Ditko's first work, but it still sells for super cheap commanding only 10% of the price of a The Thing #12. You can get Good copies for roughly $5 and NM only lists for like $100. The Thing #12 is only listing at around $1000 and could be considered another undervalued book.

I feel like ASM 569 1st Anti-Venom has more room to grow along w Batman 655 1st Damian Wayne... I could see them both being $75 books .... other stuff that's cooled off Batman 358 or Detective 523 (1st Killer Crocs) or Bats 475 1st Renne Montoya, Tec 647 1st Spolier, Robin 126 1st Stephanie Brown are cheap $5-15 books

Edited by littledoom

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

I feel like ASM 569 1st Anti-Venom has more room to grow along w Batman 655 1st Damian Wayne... I could see them both being $75 books .... other stuff that's cooled off Batman 358 or Detective 523 (1st Killer Crocs) or Bats 475 1st Renne Montoya, Tec 647 1st Spolier, Robin 126 1st Stephanie Brown are cheap $5-15 books

i dont see 269 to be a 70 dollar comic lol but I see what you mean

On 4/12/2020 at 12:39 AM, MasterWyn said:

What is 316? Don't see anything special listed.

"Monet St. Croix"
I always try to grab these when I see them, though because of X-Men #317 with Blink , it has gotten more attention.  I've seen some dealers selling them for $5-10.  Several of the Phalanx Covenant issues with the foil covers have new characters.
But you have to remember, print run on early 90's books with foil covers is probably higher than the moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_Covenant

Edited by 90sChild

On 4/11/2020 at 10:26 PM, MasterWyn said:

Captain 3D #1 from Harvey is tied with The Thing #12 for Steve Ditko's first work, but it still sells for super cheap commanding only 10% of the price of a The Thing #12. You can get Good copies for roughly $5 and NM only lists for like $100. The Thing #12 is only listing at around $1000 and could be considered another undervalued book.

Significant warehouse find of high grade copies back in the 80’s.  There are plenty of high grade copies of this low-demand book to keep prices where they are.

its a cool book, but nobody really cares.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, Murphman13 said:

FF 48 might be a good book to jump on.

I am envious of your definition of what "affordable" is....  :flipbait:

Edited by god503